IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Tips on how to part ways with my rare 2012 beauty

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-18, 02:31 PM
caco666
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Tips on how to part ways with my rare 2012 beauty

Today I decided I want to sell my beautiful 2012. It was a custom order that felt like an eternity to make its way from Japan to the port of Long Beach, (Exterior: 08U1, Interior: 20, Factory Accessories [LP NL OS WO]) with no license plate holes (here in CA i had to sign some paperwork) and was never tracked and pretty much sat inside my garage for a long time. Given that it's in excellent condition and is rare with the moonroof delete and just crossed 30k last week I'm really puzzled how to price it or what resources are out there.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I just don't want to get lowballed. I really, really, love my ISF, but am looking to tow a trailer for camping with the family and I don't see how having my baby in the garage makes sense.

Any guidance is appreciated.
Old 04-16-18, 03:18 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by caco666
with no license plate holes (here in CA i had to sign some paperwork)
What are you talking about? There is no such a thing. Two plates required in California, no way around it. What paperwork???
Old 04-16-18, 03:37 PM
caco666
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When the cars arrive at Long Beach from Japan they don't have any badges or holes on the license plates. I knew this coming in and I told my rep that I would not pay one dollar if the license plate came with the holes drilled, which they drill at the dealer. They tried to pull a fast one and say that it comes drilled, but I told them that I knew they could just make me sign a waver stating that I received the car without front plates even though the dealer insisted on installing them. So they did. All it is is a form that states that you take full responsibility for not having the front plate and that the dealer is not responsible for it. This form is not something they advertise or admit to having, but when you wave $65K in their face they will do anything you ask of them, believe me.

Interesting side note, as they were installing the badges they called and asked whether I wanted the badges installed, or just some or none. I went with the full Lexus and IS F badges, but thought about not having the Lexus badges. Would have been cool.

This is my build:
  • Ultrasonic Blue Mica
  • Alpine/Black Interior
  • Two-Tone Leather Surfaced
  • Mark Levinson Sound System w/Nav
  • Moon Roof Delete
  • Intuitive Park Assist
I assure you my front bumper has no license plate holes. Here is a pic from Feb of this year.

Last edited by caco666; 04-16-18 at 03:49 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by caco666:
2URGSE (04-27-18), rw3 (05-21-18), spacexmase (04-17-18)
Old 04-16-18, 06:02 PM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

That's a clean example with lower miles so that will help along with it being USB which is a desired color. I doubt the moonroof delete will command much of a premium even though those are truly rare. The rest of your option are pretty 'standard' on most ISFs. The white seats are polarizing but go well with USB. I would look at what other ISFs in general are going for in the area, this one could probably be sold in the high 30s range given what you've stated. Nice picture by the way, it's too bad the post wasn't about how you were selling your ISF to make from the the 911 Turbo sitting next to her! Good luck with the sale!
Old 04-16-18, 07:58 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if you fetch 42-47 for it although you'd have to wait for the right person. This is clearly spec'd for an enthusiast. USB on White plus no sunroof makes it ultra special but, I'm biased.
Old 04-16-18, 08:28 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

I wouldn't take a penny less than $42k for that car (as long as the interuor and exterior was in excellent shape).
Any mods?
But yeah, rare car, rare model year, and rare color combination, with low miles and excellent shape almost ALWAYS leads to a price above market value.

V.
Old 04-16-18, 10:40 PM
JETMIKE007
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been searching for the perfect IS-F for myself for almost two years. I look at the market for one everyday so I have a good understanding on the value. You just need to wait for the right person and if I had your car for sale I wouldn't go lower then 42K if yours is in nice condition. Just be patent!! That USB is sweet!
Old 04-17-18, 06:39 AM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JETMIKE007
I've been searching for the perfect IS-F for myself for almost two years. I look at the market for one everyday so I have a good understanding on the value. You just need to wait for the right person and if I had your car for sale I wouldn't go lower then 42K if yours is in nice condition. Just be patent!! That USB is sweet!
Out of curiosity, how long do you plan in searching for your perfect ISF? Does there come a point where you’ll make concessions in order to finally get into one that ticks most of the check marks? I don’t mean to come off as rude, just want to understand the psyche of someone that searches for years for their perfect example.
Old 04-17-18, 08:47 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With a combo that rare/ nice/ and low miles id certainly be asking in the 40s, mid 40s seems reasonable to me.
Old 04-17-18, 04:23 PM
CFC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's wrong with the same USB ISF is classifieds with 34k miles for $38k. It looks perfect and been for sale for a while now. Can probably buy it for less too, and resell for $42k+ ))
Old 04-17-18, 04:44 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

The one in the classifieds is definitely a good example and nearly identical but, the lack of a sunroof on this one makes it that much more extra special.

Originally Posted by CFC
What's wrong with the same USB ISF is classifieds with 34k miles for $38k. It looks perfect and been for sale for a while now. Can probably buy it for less too, and resell for $42k+ ))
Old 04-17-18, 04:54 PM
CFC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JohnMorgan
The one in the classifieds is definitely a good example and nearly identical but, the lack of a sunroof on this one makes it that much more extra special.
$4-5k for sunroof delete option, doesn't sound right. I haven't spoken with that guy about his car because of the white interior (unfortunately), but it looks like no one wants it even for $38k. If he had black interior I would make him an offer
Old 04-17-18, 04:57 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

So far I've only been able to find 11 IS-F's *in the US without sunroofs on this forum. When you factor in how many there are, this is an extremely rare non-option. The person who's looking for that will pay the extra no doubt.

Originally Posted by CFC
$4-5k for sunroof delete option, doesn't sound right. I haven't spoken with that guy about his car because of the white interior (unfortunately), but it looks like no one wants it even for $38k. If he had black interior I would make him an offer
Old 04-17-18, 05:28 PM
CFC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JohnMorgan
So far I've only been able to find 11 IS-F's *in the US without sunroofs on this forum. When you factor in how many there are, this is an extremely rare non-option. The person who's looking for that will pay the extra no doubt.
I guess you could pay extra if you track the car often, as far as options, radar cruise is rare too but I doubt anyone would pay extra few bucks for that. As far as myself goes, I use sunroof almost every day. I didn't even know ISF came without sunroof, now I have to watch out and not buy one without ))
Old 04-19-18, 12:07 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
What are you talking about? There is no such a thing. Two plates required in California, no way around it. What paperwork???
This portion of the sale is correct, which totally shows how dumb the two front plate rule in CA is. I, too, had to sign a waiver that the dealer and Lexus were not responsible or coerced me into deciding to not have the front license plate holes drilled upon taking delivery of the vehicle. Sometimes it's just too late and dealers will not give a customer that opportunity to sign the waiver, as the license plate frames come pre-drilled, but in the off chance that they haven't (and a customer REALLY doesn't want it drilled), they can sign the waiver. There are other options (tow hook license plate holder, zip ties, hide-a-way plate, opting not to run a front plate), and I ultimately decided that I would bear responsibility and accept the consequences of not having a front plate at any given time, including receiving a fix-it ticket at the tail end of a photoshoot.

Quick Reply: Tips on how to part ways with my rare 2012 beauty