IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

turbo isf?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-18, 06:22 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default turbo isf?

So now that these ECUs can be tuned is there any reason why someone couldnt successfully run a turbo setup?

just curious, I know ive seen some turbo setups in the past on these cars before anyone could really tune them but seemed rather pointless, surprised nobody has tried getting RR to get them a custom turbo tune and crank the boost up on one of these cars to see what they can do.
Old 04-13-18, 07:12 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by sc3dreamin
So now that these ECUs can be tuned is there any reason why someone couldnt successfully run a turbo setup?

just curious, I know ive seen some turbo setups in the past on these cars before anyone could really tune them but seemed rather pointless, surprised nobody has tried getting RR to get them a custom turbo tune and crank the boost up on one of these cars to see what they can do.
Considering the supercharged cars with the stock 6.5psi of boost are breaking ringlands, cranking up the boost seems like the last thing most people want to do unless they are built. Also I think custom tune would be pretty pricey from RR if they were willing to do it at all.
Old 04-13-18, 07:31 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by liquidtek
Considering the supercharged cars with the stock 6.5psi of boost are breaking ringlands, cranking up the boost seems like the last thing most people want to do unless they are built. Also I think custom tune would be pretty pricey from RR if they were willing to do it at all.
Properly tuned ones are breaking ringlands? Wasnt aware of that.

I dont see why they would charge any more to tune a turbo setup vs a supercharged setup or even a NA tune really.
Old 04-13-18, 07:41 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Because tuning for a particular individuals setup is different than their tunes they build off their own cars and distribute to everyone. Most people prob don't advertise their supercharged issues but there's been multiple engine failures and even a supercharger failure that I know of. Sure its uncommon but for the amount of supercharged cars it's actually concerning enough to me that if I ever were going boost I'd just build preventatively but then you're looking at 20+k for a mod.
Old 04-13-18, 07:56 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by liquidtek
Because tuning for a particular individuals setup is different than their tunes they build off their own cars and distribute to everyone. Most people prob don't advertise their supercharged issues but there's been multiple engine failures and even a supercharger failure that I know of. Sure its uncommon but for the amount of supercharged cars it's actually concerning enough to me that if I ever were going boost I'd just build preventatively but then you're looking at 20+k for a mod.
yea, theres really not many supercharged ISFs out there to begin with and at 6.5 psi I wouldnt think they would be having problems so that is concerning for sure.

That sucks but I guess thats the stuff you can run into when boosting an engine that was not designed for boost.

Definitely hard to justify the cost to build and boost it. I thought maybe we could get away with 8-10 psi on these stock engines and make some good power but I guess not.

its weird that so many people seemed to run 100-150 shots of nitrous without engine issues over the years but just 6.5 pounds of boost is killing them
Old 04-13-18, 01:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

N2O is seconds. Boost from a supercharger is all the time.
Old 04-13-18, 02:12 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Did they redesign the ring lands in the RCF ??
Old 04-13-18, 02:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The part number for the pistons in the RC F and GS F is different than the IS F. The ring end gap spec is different for the IS F and RC F compared to the GS F (GS F is considerably tighter). What exactly they changed with the pistons only Toyota knows, but I did think it might be interesting to fit GS F pistons and rings into an IS F engine. Of course if I were going to all that trouble, I'd be a whole lot more likely just to swap in the GS F engine instead.
Old 04-13-18, 07:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by kitabel
Boost from a supercharger is all the time

Not since Eaton began the high vacuum bypass. Every SC factory car today has vacuum at cruise.
And yet, all you have to do to get boost is push a little bit on the throttle. With nitrous you have to go WOT and be in the window (on any modern system) so you're looking at seconds with N2O vs. as much as you step on the gas with the S/C. There is a dramatic difference in the amount of stress on the engine between the two models.
Old 04-14-18, 06:57 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitabel
Boost from a supercharger is all the time

Not since Eaton began the high vacuum bypass. Every SC factory car today has vacuum at cruise.

I think he just meant you will be getting into boost and seeing higher stress levels way more frequently with a boosted setup rather than nitrous setup.

But ya, technically you can drive a turbo, supercharged or nitrous car and never use boost or nitrous lol
Old 04-14-18, 07:14 AM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

There is a company in Australia turboing an isf for somebody. It's on one of the Facebook pages. Midmount turbo from what it remember.
Old 04-14-18, 09:41 AM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts

I dont have any issues with those ringlands after my SC kit installed by myself. The cars runs like crazy fast. Especially with e85 blend. Do i track my F? nope. I do spirited driving always. As what rr racing said those who suffered fron ringland failures are F that was bit up before the install.
I was there when josh run his SC F at 11.11 (as what i remember) in the strip. He put a scope to compare his engine vibration to mine and mine is more smoother than his.
My plan is to have the os giken and track this car after i stabilized my resto project.

Last edited by ljdsong; 04-14-18 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-15-18, 07:35 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Motor was not designed to run boost, I don't see the point running turbochargers on an IS-F, unless you take the motor apart and beef up everything.

That will be the tip of the ice burg... you'll have to figure the hotside exhaust manifolds, wastegates and intercooling. You're talking BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I'd rather go with a different platform if you want to run boost, something with an iron block and/or that was already turbo from the factory.

Good luck.
The following 3 users liked this post by 2URGSE:
bbong (04-18-18), MileHIFcar (04-15-18), TrevorR (04-17-18)
Old 04-16-18, 05:36 AM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Motor was not designed to run boost, I don't see the point running turbochargers on an IS-F, unless you take the motor apart and beef up everything.

That will be the tip of the ice burg... you'll have to figure the hotside exhaust manifolds, wastegates and intercooling. You're talking BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I'd rather go with a different platform if you want to run boost, something with an iron block and/or that was already turbo from the factory.

Good luck.
Not sure I agree with that. Plenty of cars that didn’t come factory with turbos that are monsters when boosted. Building a motor to run boost isn’t something that’s that crazy now a days. Money is part of the game no matter what platform you’re using. I’m a bit surprised there isn’t any big builds with our platform yet now that there’s a tuning solution. Not saying it pays off but it’s feasible now and there’s always people willing to blow the money.
Old 04-16-18, 06:40 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pqbrown

Not sure I agree with that. Plenty of cars that didn’t come factory with turbos that are monsters when boosted. Building a motor to run boost isn’t something that’s that crazy now a days. Money is part of the game no matter what platform you’re using. I’m a bit surprised there isn’t any big builds with our platform yet now that there’s a tuning solution. Not saying it pays off but it’s feasible now and there’s always people willing to blow the money.

Yep I agree with this. People will build anything and ive seen some half *** attempts at a turbo ISF over the years on youtube and such before tuning even existed. Just figured now with tuning available someone would do it.

Quick Reply: turbo isf?