IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Coilovers or Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-18, 12:48 PM
5LITERV8YO
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coilovers or Exhaust

Hello my fellow forum members. I purchased my 09 USB ISF over a year ago and it is time to do my first upgrade. As the title states, I'm debating if I should buy coilovers or an exhaust first. If my funds were abundant, I would do both at the same time. However, I am constrained to do one or the other at the current moment. So what shall it be? BC coilovers with swift spring upgrade 16k/12k. Or RR racing bazooka exhaust? Chime in. Let me know what you guys think.

I love the look of a lowered ISF and the improved handling would be fun in the twisties. On the other hand, the enhanced V8 growl and extra push of HP would also be a welcomed addition.

Last edited by 5LITERV8YO; 03-16-18 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-16-18, 12:55 PM
glerink
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

get the extra growl
Old 03-16-18, 02:57 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Get a true limited slip differential in it. That will make more difference than any of those other items.

After that, do suspension and bushings.

Then do the exhaust.
Old 03-16-18, 03:25 PM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

If you can handle the stiff ride, then exhaust for sure. I just deleted the mufflers on my Borla this weekend(cheap bazooka) and absolutely love it. Honestly it’s loud(as loud as any pony car with a nice exhaust)but just as little drone as the regular Borla and honestly very doable for a daily driver. For me coils were first however only due to the fact that I hated the ride after a day, and wanted the adjustability to go lower and I ordered wheels at the same time. Just coils with no wheels looks weird. The 08-10 I knew were harsh, but was even harsher than my previous lowered car on springs with 30 sidewalls.
Old 03-16-18, 03:34 PM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Do a premuffler delete first and see what you think. Its cheap, reversible, zero drone and could satisfy your growl desire.
Old 03-16-18, 09:17 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Borla exhaust.

We're having a sale with free shipping right now. You definitely need to open up that v8.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-16-18, 09:37 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I dont like the ISF at stock height with the bigger fender gap in the front than the rear. I say lower it

I recently lowered mine with springs. It was a huge relief to finally have done it
Old 03-17-18, 12:25 AM
Howiefied
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with exhaust first (xforce cat back) then suspension (hks hipermax iv gt) purely for cost reasons. About $1200aud for exhaust and $2000aud for coilovers. Really enjoyed bringing out the note of the lovely V8... hopefully would keep you satisfied until you can spruce for a decent set of coilovers as the standard suspension setup isn’t too bad.
Old 03-17-18, 12:53 AM
xaker777
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 400to300H
Do a premuffler delete first and see what you think. Its cheap, reversible, zero drone and could satisfy your growl desire.
resonator delete?
Old 03-17-18, 03:56 AM
eddyisf
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

How many miles does your car have? If your reaching 100k I would do suspension, exhaust can wait and don’t do a muffler delete the car does sound nice at certain rpms but the drone will annoy the F out of you trust me I’ve had like three different exhaust set ups and the muffler delete sucked 😂
Old 03-17-18, 03:05 PM
glerink
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by xaker777

resonator delete?
i would say muffler delete, resonator delete really doesn't make any difference inside the cabin, a muffler delete you definitely hear inside and so worth those high rev downshifts
Old 03-17-18, 07:30 PM
5LITERV8YO
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Get a true limited slip differential in it. That will make more difference than any of those other items.

After that, do suspension and bushings.

Then do the exhaust.
I would love to do a LSD. Will this make a difference in a street driven car? My ISF is a weekend car and it won't see any tracks any time soon.

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
If you can handle the stiff ride, then exhaust for sure. I just deleted the mufflers on my Borla this weekend(cheap bazooka) and absolutely love it. Honestly it’s loud(as loud as any pony car with a nice exhaust)but just as little drone as the regular Borla and honestly very doable for a daily driver. For me coils were first however only due to the fact that I hated the ride after a day, and wanted the adjustability to go lower and I ordered wheels at the same time. Just coils with no wheels looks weird. The 08-10 I knew were harsh, but was even harsher than my previous lowered car on springs with 30 sidewalls.
I know what you mean when it comes to lowered ISF's with stock wheels. They look "sunken" in. However, in my opinion, it will look better lowered compared to the crooked stock stance ie the front is higher than the rear. Also, how do you like your BC coils with the swift springs upgrade? I've read mixed reviews from CL forum members.

Originally Posted by eddyisf
How many miles does your car have? If your reaching 100k I would do suspension, exhaust can wait and don’t do a muffler delete the car does sound nice at certain rpms but the drone will annoy the F out of you trust me I’ve had like three different exhaust set ups and the muffler delete sucked ��
My car has 65k miles. I appreciate your input. I will keep that in mind when I decide on an exhaust to purchase.

Last edited by 5LITERV8YO; 03-17-18 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-17-18, 07:32 PM
5LITERV8YO
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your input guys. I appreciate your words and will take them into consideration when making my decision.
Old 03-17-18, 09:13 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Coilovers first and headers then.
Old 03-19-18, 07:15 AM
ToDesi
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I was having the same issue last month, I went with the BC coils and Figs bushing first and glad I did. next on the list is headers and exhaust!

Quick Reply: Coilovers or Exhaust