IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New summer/track wheel set-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-18, 09:31 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by idoke1
Very nice! I too have PF01 and the difference in weight savings from the oem wheels is astonishing! Attached is how mines is. I'm thinking of going 285 30 18 all around....
Welp, RPF-1's are on with no caliper clearance issues (despite what others here have claimed as rumored issue)... but I'm not crazy about the look. Is this blue color you've got a factory option? Looks great! Bet it'd be a sweet combo with USB too.
Old 03-16-18, 10:35 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

Looks great!! I went down to 18's within the past month as well, 18x9.5+38 square, with 255/40, 275/35. Loving the meaty fitment, comfier ride, lighter setup(saved 1-2 lbs per corner compared to 08 stock wheel/tires) and overall look. Since these photos were taken I have gone about a 3/16" lower, added the oem lexus center caps, and fixed/painted the wavy skirts.

On an unrelated note, where are you in Nova? I'm on opposite side of DC in Arnold/Annapolis. I will be at a buddy's shop near Dulles airport on Sunday installing some rotors if you'd like to swing by to meet.

Last edited by LexusfanVA; 03-16-18 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-16-18, 10:45 AM
drifto
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA

Looks great!! I went down to 18's within the past month as well, 18x9.5+38 square, with 255/40, 275/35. Loving the meaty fitment, comfier ride, lighter setup(saved 1-2 lbs per corner compared to 08 stock wheel/tires) and overall look. Since these photos were taken I have gone about a 3/16" lower, added the oem lexus center caps, and fixed/painted the wavy skirts.

On an unrelated note, where are you in Nova? I'm on opposite side of DC in Arnold/Annapolis. I will be at a buddy's shop near Dulles airport on Sunday installing some rotors if you'd like to swing by to meet.
What wheels are those? Looks nice I like the meaty tire look.
Old 03-16-18, 11:14 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Originally Posted by drifto
What wheels are those? Looks nice I like the meaty tire look.
Sorry! Gram Light 57CR gloss black, 18x9.5+38 20.4 lbs each. Thinking about painting the lip or the whole wheel silver/gunmetal.
Old 03-17-18, 09:05 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander311

Welp, RPF-1's are on with no caliper clearance issues (despite what others here have claimed as rumored issue)... but I'm not crazy about the look. Is this blue color you've got a factory option? Looks great! Bet it'd be a sweet combo with USB too.
i know you had RPF 1 on your F with 18x9.5 +38 front and 18x9.5 +45 rear without caliper clearance issues. Have you ever tested the +38 offset for the rear ? i ask this bc i am having a good deal with a guy who want to sell his combo of RPF 1 +38 all around for me. If the +38 offset has no issues of caliper clearance for the rear i will pull the trigger on this combo for my F. Thanks !
Old 03-19-18, 03:15 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice setup Mikersoft, what rotors you running ? don't see any cross drilled nor slots, I was looking for blanks my self and maybe just slot them at work on our cnc machine. was gonna go with centric blanks.

My new track setup for this year 18x9.5 +45 WedsSport SA10R tires are semi slicks 80 tread wear Nankang AR-1 265/35/18 with the square shoulders it's more like 275mm tread width. I hate wasting money on track rubber so these will do for now. I would never run any nankang street tire on a daily basis, so this will be interesting.

Last edited by ForzaF; 03-19-18 at 03:25 AM.
Old 03-19-18, 06:28 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by idoke1
Very nice! I too have PF01 and the difference in weight savings from the oem wheels is astonishing! Attached is how mines is. I'm thinking of going 285 30 18 all around....
That's a pretty cool color in those wheels.. Add a little white into the overall mix, and you can have a Captain America style theme going.

Originally Posted by 5ltrv8
The new setup looks amazing! I plan on getting a dedicated track wheel and tire combo this summer. Look forward to hearing about how they perform for you. You have a track day scheduled yet?
Next track day is April 14, and it's just the sort of circuit (Summit Point Shenandoah), where the improved handling should really shine. I can't wait!

Originally Posted by isfdave86
I love this look! I've been looking for 18" wheel and tire specs all over the place! I daily drive mine and regularly have back seat passengers so I can't afford to have rubbing issues. I'm in MD so I'm familiar with the roads you mentioned. Do you have any rubbing issues and are you at stock height?
No rubbing issues yet. I'm a bit lower than stock on Penske coilovers. I dropped the front a little bit more since these photos, and still no issues on the road & parking. Though, I've got to be more careful leaving my driveway now since the front lip is more prone to scraping. Over the next few weeks, I'll slowly drop all four corners to determine the optimal height for street/track.

Originally Posted by Gearbangin
Looks great. Where is best place to get those rims?
I bought mine through Amazon.com. Tried Tire Rack first & was told that not only were they out of stock (in black), but Enkei was showing the same. TR said that usually meant a 2-3 wait for more. So, if you see them in stock somewhere, ****** 'em up while you can.

Originally Posted by imp0rted1
awesome setup.. mikersoft will this fit on stock suspension?
Absolutely. At normal ride height, there should not be any fitment issues whatsoever.

- What kind of caliper clearance do you have in the front? Did you have to be careful with placement of the weight strip for wheel balancing?
- Rubbing? What suspension are you on and height vs. stock?
- What are your camber settings?
-There's plenty of caliper clearance with these. I'd have to take a closer look, but I don't think wheel weight placement would be a concern either.
-No rubbing yet, and I'm already a bit lower than stock.. Over the next few weeks, I'll slowly drop all four corners to determine the optimal height for street/track.
-I haven't measured, but I'm still stuck with whatever results from lowering the car. One of my future mods will likely be the FIGS adjustable upper control arms from the front, and probably something to allow adjustment of the rears as well.

Originally Posted by 5LITERV8YO
That's a lot of tire in the front. I like it. Any clearance issues? Is your car lowered?
-No issues in front yet. Surprisingly, the slight rubbing I had at full steering lock with my 255 tires on OEM wheels (& 15mm spacers) went away with this set-up. Yes, I'm already a bit lower than stock, and plan to explore how much lower I can go without rubbing.

Originally Posted by henry1229
This is a really good look, and I think I may emulate it soon. I'm curious (and this might require a separate thread) but what is the interplay between wheel width and tire width? A narrower wheel is lighter, but are there downsides to trying to fit a larger width tire on an smaller width rim? For instance I've seen members here putting 285 tires on 9 in rims and I've seen others putting 295 tires on 11 inch rims - that's a huge difference in rim width for only 10mm difference in tire widtch. What's the performance/comfort/longevity tradeoff?
I don't have enough experience to discuss that in depth, but I know that extreme deltas in wheel & tire width is generally a bad thing for cornering performance. I try to stay near the middle of the recommended wheel width range for a given tire.

Originally Posted by Weapon F
Hey Mike, love the setup looks Wicked and probably rides really good with that set up. I was thinking going with similar setup I have two questions for you were there any issues going with the 275/35/18 up front was any sort of customization required ?
my current setup is a 255/35/19F 275/35/19R turn in, road feel, every thing in general just feels better with the 255 Tire up front I can only imagine 275 on front.
Thanks.. No issues with the 275s up front with these particular wheels. One reason that I chose these wheels was the experience of two other CL members with same set-up (Gymkata & bbong).

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA

Thanks! I like yours too. It was your recent pics that solidified my decision to go with this 18" set-up Damn, I wish I'd see this sooner. I just happened to be out cruising around that area yesterday. What's the name of the shop? I got lucky & stumbled upon the Urus unveiling at Lamborghini of Sterling. Many of those in attendances showed up with some pretty sweet rides.. Made my lowly IS-F feel like a econo-box!

Some of the standouts (among many others):
-F458 (x4)
-F488
-F430 Spider
-McLaren 720s (x2)
-Porsche GT3 & GT3RS
-Murcielago Roadster
-Gallardo Performante (x3)

Originally Posted by ForzaF
Nice setup Mikersoft, what rotors you running ? don't see any cross drilled nor slots, I was looking for blanks my self and maybe just slot them at work on our cnc machine. was gonna go with centric blanks.

I have the RR Racing 2-piece rotors with Coleman slotted discs up front.. The reason they're smooth is they're worn out! They'll soon be replaced with the Girodisc option to match my rears.

-Mike
Old 03-19-18, 08:11 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikersoft

Thanks! I like yours too. It was your recent pics that solidified my decision to go with this 18" set-up Damn, I wish I'd see this sooner. I just happened to be out cruising around that area yesterday. What's the name of the shop? I got lucky & stumbled upon the Urus unveiling at Lamborghini of Sterling. Many of those in attendances showed up with some pretty sweet rides.. Made my lowly IS-F feel like a econo-box!

-Mike
No worries at all, it's a shop called MM Motorz in Sterling, VA. I don't know the shop owner, but one of the guys(my friend Hammad) is a trained Nissan master tech that just switched shops and started there. He's done loads of stuff for my past Infiniti's and my other friends cars, and is incredibly well priced. He uses that shop with another buddy of mine named Simon that has an M3, and that guy is great for detailing, ceramic protection etc. There was a DB9 and custom 370Z being worked on there, so not just a backyard mechanic lol. I felt bad I missed out on the Urus unveiling but I saw the photos and video on the local DMV Auto Club Fb page. I sued to go to their events after Katie's C&C on Saturdays, though it's a hike from Annapolis. I hope to see you around, especially since our F's are so similar!
Old 03-19-18, 01:44 PM
5LITERV8YO
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ForzaF

My new track setup for this year 18x9.5 +45 WedsSport SA10R tires are semi slicks 80 tread wear Nankang AR-1 265/35/18 with the square shoulders it's more like 275mm tread width. I hate wasting money on track rubber so these will do for now. I would never run any nankang street tire on a daily basis, so this will be interesting.

Nice! I hope you post pictures once they are mounted.
Old 03-22-18, 01:53 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shyguyF
i know you had RPF 1 on your F with 18x9.5 +38 front and 18x9.5 +45 rear without caliper clearance issues. Have you ever tested the +38 offset for the rear ? i ask this bc i am having a good deal with a guy who want to sell his combo of RPF 1 +38 all around for me. If the +38 offset has no issues of caliper clearance for the rear i will pull the trigger on this combo for my F. Thanks !
Rear clearance is not an issue, as the calipers/rotors are much smaller... I could see how there may be an issue at the fender if you are lowered or heavily loaded, but with my DD wheels at +40, (2mm further inward than your +38 fitment in question), I had no interference at all, even when severely lowered. You should be fine!
Old 03-22-18, 02:10 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikersoft
-There's plenty of caliper clearance with these. I'd have to take a closer look, but I don't think wheel weight placement would be a concern either.
-No rubbing yet, and I'm already a bit lower than stock.. Over the next few weeks, I'll slowly drop all four corners to determine the optimal height for street/track.
-I haven't measured, but I'm still stuck with whatever results from lowering the car. One of my future mods will likely be the FIGS adjustable upper control arms from the front, and probably something to allow adjustment of the rears as well.
Nice... I'll soon be on the Penskes as well, so am super curious to see how the height adjustments pan out... Might PM you a few questions before installing mine, actually. Either way, very glad to hear you were able to lower on a wheel this wide and have no issues! and can't wait to hear all about your track day!

I love both these and the Wedspsport SA-10R given their similar weights and concavity in this size... Gonna be a hard decision. We'll see if I can get rid of these RPF-1's locally first.
Old 03-22-18, 02:50 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

This is a custom color. I had the shop powder coated it Magnesium Blue. I think it would look good on almost any color. Especially USB
The following users liked this post:
Leander311 (03-27-18)
Old 03-24-18, 01:45 AM
IronNam
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Real quick, everyone on here has their rear quarter's rolled?
Old 03-24-18, 08:19 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IronNam
Real quick, everyone on here has their rear quarter's rolled?
not me. No rubbing issues even when lowered more than I'd like.
Old 03-24-18, 08:20 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

^^None of my fenders are rolled, including the rears.

Quick Reply: New summer/track wheel set-up