IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Switching to synthetic oil in high mileage F

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-18, 08:39 AM
Eurofreak
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Switching to synthetic oil in high mileage F

Just bought a 2010 ISF with 96k miles on it. Lexus records show 5k oil change intervals (dino oil) up to 52k then records stop so i have no idea what oil was used since. Has anyone switched to synthetic oil at higher mileage? I'd like to use synthetic but don't want to introduce leaks - its the first car I have had that doesn't leak oil. All my previous cars were leak-prone, problem-prone German project cars so I'm a bit traumatized and tired of repairs.
Seems like these days switching to synthetic is less of a problem than 15-20+ years ago but just thought I'd ask.

UPDATE: I switched the oil to Mobile 1 5w-30 and have driven the car about 250 miles since. I'm pretty sure I have developed a leak. I've been smelling burning oil through the air vents ever since whenever its on fresh air mode. I hoped it was just a couple drops/splashes from the drain process burning off but at this point, I'm upset I took the risk. I'll report back once I get under the car and take a look.

UPDATE 2: Many years later. There was no leak. I'm now at 140k miles with still no leaks running M1 5w-30. Its been a solid car despite the dreaded valley pan leaking coolant.

Last edited by Eurofreak; 03-11-24 at 05:50 PM. Reason: update
Old 02-10-18, 09:01 AM
PsykotiK
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you can do a synthetic blend next oil change then switch to full synthetic
Old 02-10-18, 09:43 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by PsykotiK
you can do a synthetic blend next oil change then switch to full synthetic
^^^ What he said. ^^^

Also, and only if you have a fair amount of time, checkout this forum: Bob's the Oil guy. There's a deluge of helpful information and feedback, but it can be overwhelming.
Old 02-10-18, 01:56 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'll be switching to synthetic at around 45k which is close to your mileage. Just go full synthetic. You shouldn't have any problems. I personally don't consider 52k high millage, specially for a Lexus.
Old 02-10-18, 04:26 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

You don't have to use synthetic blend then go synthetic you can go full synthetic right away. I purchesed my F new in 2011 after 10k miles I switched to full synthetic with no issues. Leaking seals and gaskets was issue back in early 90's. If you have older car let's say anything before 1990 you might have issue due to chemical in synthetic oil may break down gasket material. I've been driving, racing, wrenching on cars,and bikes for 37yrs.
Old 02-10-18, 04:35 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

I'm familiar with the Pennzoil Oil line, don't know much about other brands. But Pennzoil makes a synthetic for high mileage:

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc...h-mileage.html

BTW, I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, in case you didn't guess already

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 02-10-18 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-10-18, 06:35 PM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
I'm familiar with the Pennzoil Oil line, don't much about other brands. But Pennzoil makes a synthetic for high mileage:

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc...h-mileage.html

BTW, I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, in case you didn't guess already

Lou
I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum as well. No issues.
Old 02-10-18, 09:43 PM
Eurofreak
Driver

Thanks all. Yeah, I did a fair bit of reading on bobistheoilguy.com as well and most people don't have an issue. But considering I just dumped a decent chunk of change on this car, I want it to last.... reliability is the primary reason I switched from Audi/BMW to Lexus... i got tired of issues every month.
I'll make the switch and report back.
Old 02-10-18, 11:09 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Just curious what Euro cars (Audi/BMW) you had prior and which ones gave you issues that you alluded to every month??

Does that mean your screen name isn't necessarily true anymore
Old 02-11-18, 10:27 AM
Eurofreak
Driver

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Just curious what Euro cars (Audi/BMW) you had prior and which ones gave you issues that you alluded to every month??

Does that mean your screen name isn't necessarily true anymore
You may be on to something with the screen name.
All my cars were purchased with high miles but only the German ones begged for repairs. I don't mind occasional maintenance. I've been wrenching since my 15th birthday and still enjoy it some. But fixing things like cracked/crumbling weatherstripping or replacing random control modules multiple times on a <10 year old car is a joke (BMW).

My German car experience:
1990 VW Corrado - rebuilt literally every mechanical component on the car
1999 BMW 540i - was actually solid in hindsight despite a couple unusual failures here and there, not to mention the notorious weatherstripping issues
2001 Audi S4 (stage 3 - 450hp) - was once touted to be the most expensive non-exotic car to maintain, it needed a lot of attention, much of it in "service position" with the entire front bumper and radiator support removed.
2006 BMW 330i - this was the traumatizing one. It leaked oil everywhere... head gasket, seals, valve covers, oil pan, etc., the navigation unit died repeatedly, radiator leaked, coolant hoses blew, weatherstripping fell apart, transmission started to fail, etc, etc... The truth is, the previous owner neglected the car. After spending a few thousand playing catch up on overdue maintenance/repairs, I gave up and sold it in under 7 months.

While no car is perfect, I'm hoping the F treats me much better. At this price point, there is really nothing else I could see myself driving today that combines great reliability, performance and comfort.
The following users liked this post:
MileHIFcar (02-11-18)
Old 02-11-18, 05:57 PM
avinash240
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just sold my 2013 E92 M3 after the EDC(electronic dampening control) module died on me twice in under 1 year. It was my first BMW, before that I drove a lot of Lexus cars. I'll say this, the high level of tolerance for constant repairs and expensive maintenance by BMW owners is astounding.
Old 02-12-18, 08:17 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

you can just change it you dont have to transition to it
Old 02-12-18, 11:00 AM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought we're supposed to use full synthetic on our ISF. The dealership said it's every 5k/6 months but I usually run my sport cars on full synthetic with 6 month internals anyway since they're not my daily driver and I drive them hard everytime I take one out.
Old 02-12-18, 07:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by huy33
I thought we're supposed to use full synthetic on our ISF. The dealership said it's every 5k/6 months but I usually run my sport cars on full synthetic with 6 month internals...
There is no data to support any of these claims.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-uoa-here.html
Old 02-14-18, 08:55 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Just look at my avatar, that's all you need to know.

GL.

Quick Reply: Switching to synthetic oil in high mileage F