IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

VS Forged Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 01:43 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts
Default VS Forged Wheels?

Will be ordering wheels soon. Just have to decide on which style I want to go for. Would be a set of 19x9.5 +38 and 19x10.5 +42. I waited a year to get more feedback on the brand and thus far the Hellcat and CTSV guys have been buying these up like crazy, so I know my 400whp isn’t going to break them haha. I know of one ISF guy running these, but was curious if there's any others with personal feedback? Seems like the bang for your buck is pretty amazing, forged, brushed which costs $500 from most companies, and way more color options. Which in my case I'm only interested in the brushed dark tint.

I am leaning towards the mesh VS10's since I think they would look classy on an ISF but look pretty mean with the concavity of the 9.5/10.5 widths, I hope. Haven't got much feedback how concave they will actually be since I rarely see offsets posted with the pics on other forums.

Ill likely order through one of the vendors on the site, just haven't decided who. They all seem to be priced the same, but was maybe hoping one of them could do a package deal with some Greddy coilovers since I'll likely need to dial in the fitment a bit.

I like these VS08's too, but maybe just not for this car...

VS10's (first pic is of some brushed bronze but shows the concavity better than the last two pics)

Old 02-09-18, 11:38 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

I am always suspicious of new wheel manufacturers that feel the need to put "Forged" in their company name. You don't see it with HRE, Work, BBS, Volk Racing or other long-term, high quality wheel manufacturers. IForged, 360 Forged and other former flavor-of-the-month manufacturers of forged wheels are no longer in business. There's a reason for that.

Ken.
Old 02-10-18, 07:21 AM
FFM
Racer

I had a set of IForged before on my NSX, they cracked. As did a pair HRE C20’s, Advan RS, Fikse FM10’s, etc. So spending more didn’t yield me better results aside from brand recognition.

I look at things subjectively. Forged blanks come from overseas, so what you pay for is marketing and where they get machined. In this case they get forged overseas and machined overseas. Long as the QA is on point you get a good product for much less. No different than half of the guys on this forum rocking BC Racing coilovers...

Thanks for the concern. I too love wheels like HRE’s, but they are wildly overpriced. I’ve looked at dozens of flow formed wheels like Work, Gram Lights, Rays, Weds etc. that cost the same as these forged wheels and nobody makes widths and offsets ideal for an ISF and I’m not willing to “make” low offset wheels fit. Which is common the moment you look for anything in a 9.5/10.5.

First world problems I suppose haha
Old 02-10-18, 12:27 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I've been looking at these as well. Still more than I would prefer to spend on a set of wheels but if they are truly forged (which I believe they are) then it is likely worth it. Plus the ability to customize the offset is pretty nice. I really want to run as wide of a square setup as I can and that would definitely make things easier. What size tires are you hoping/planning to run on your 9.5/10.5 setup?
Old 02-10-18, 12:34 PM
FFM
Racer

I have my 245/275’s leftover from last year I’m going to use to test the fitment then upgrade to 255/285 if capable.
Old 02-10-18, 03:26 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Your car, your money, your wheels. I get that, but you might be the only person I've come across that has actually cracked genuine HREs, Advans and Fikses. I'm not saying such wheels are uncrackable, but odds are you'll have to work very hard to do it. If you've cracked those wheels, I wouldn't expect the ones you're contemplating purchasing to hold up any better. Not all forged blanks come from overseas, but Japan is overseas and I'll take a forged blank from that country over any other. Google Volk Racing stress tests and see if you can find a vid from VS showing the same thing.

I started this post by saying your car, your money, your wheels and I'll end it the same way. Whatever your choice, I wish you the best of luck and miles of blissful, drama-free driving.

Ken.
Old 02-10-18, 06:18 PM
FFM
Racer

Got the pictures saved. Actually looking through them I’ve also had cracked SSR Type C RS. Basically what I’m saying is no wheel is free from road carnage. So why pay a **** ton more for a brand name.
Old 02-10-18, 07:08 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

To answer the OP's first question, I do feel the sizings that you listed would fit. I have always suggested first getting coilovers and seeing how the car settles with them prior to getting wheels and tires. A 9.5 front and 10.5 rear can easily fit on this platform, and many have chosen the 245/275 tire combo to make it a nearly perfect fit for the IS F.

In answering the more recent question, people will choose to pay what they feel is right for their cars. There is no need for any justification (though I've seen a lot of people on the forums get a little butt hurt when they aren't getting the positive feedback they had hoped for when it comes to X wheel or X modification in general). Wheels crack due to unforeseen circumstances- a pothole here, a sharp angle against a curb there, etc. What Ken, myself, and a solid group of F owners, as evident by the asking of "which wheels to get?" threads on the forums, are often suggesting are fully forged wheels from big name companies because they've done the research time and time again. This isn't to say newer companies don't, but we've seen wheel companies come and go because their products simply don't last and become unfavorable to recommend or advertise. Some companies do claim they have "forging" technologies integrated in their products, when in fact they're flow form/cast wheels. The VS wheels you listed appear to be fully forged, and certainly there is no wrong answer to which wheel to get. Some prefer a brand, others don't. It just depends on the owner and his/her preference.

I really do like the design of the wheel choice you picked out and am looking forward to seeing how concave they actually look on your F.
Old 02-10-18, 07:17 PM
FFM
Racer

Thanks. I was just hoping for some feedback from people who actually have them. I fully expect a LOT of people to be opposed to, at this point, a new company with not much credibility. But I reached out to HRE, and got nada for their mesh flow formed in ISF fitment, and then also like Vorsteiner wheels coming from the M community but also offer only GS sizing for our cars in 20”. Just disappointed in the options of flow formed wheels that cost the same as these.
Old 02-10-18, 10:23 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

OP, sounds like you are pretty set on these. My buddy has these on his F and seen pretty happy with them, I will ask him to chime in.
Get them and don’t look back since you’ve had negative experience from the other major names in the Forged wheel game. This wheel line is fairly new (I hear it’s a collaboration between Vertini and Stance), hopefully it’s a good product. Have you cracked BBS? Perhaps BBS LMs are worth looking into?
Old 02-10-18, 10:40 PM
FFM
Racer

Thanks, he just DM’d me on IG. We follow each other. I just wasn’t sure if there was anyone else with good experience like his.

Im a wheel *****. I’ve had a lot of wheels for a lot of different vehicles. Only had some OEM bbs wheels. They were solid, heavy, but solid. I can’t justify 4K+ for wheels on my daily which is why I’ve been shopping for a good bang for you buck.

im pretty confident these will be fine. Was just hoping for local feedback on widths, offsets, concavity, etc. looks like I’ll be one of the guinea pigs haha.
Old 02-10-18, 11:04 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Ok, sounds like we are referencing the same local guy and he is a good resource for feedback for these wheels. I’m a wheel fan myself and have given up on the typical JDM cast wheel and boutique forge companies so I went with BBS LMs for my F and have a set of TE37s incoming for my GX460. Good luck and post pics and any feedback!
Old 02-10-18, 11:53 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350
OP, sounds like you are pretty set on these. My buddy has these on his F and seen pretty happy with them, I will ask him to chime in.
Get them and don’t look back since you’ve had negative experience from the other major names in the Forged wheel game. This wheel line is fairly new (I hear it’s a collaboration between Vertini and Stance), hopefully it’s a good product. Have you cracked BBS? Perhaps BBS LMs are worth looking into?
Originally Posted by FFM
Thanks, he just DM’d me on IG. We follow each other. I just wasn’t sure if there was anyone else with good experience like his.

Im a wheel *****. I’ve had a lot of wheels for a lot of different vehicles. Only had some OEM bbs wheels. They were solid, heavy, but solid. I can’t justify 4K+ for wheels on my daily which is why I’ve been shopping for a good bang for you buck.

im pretty confident these will be fine. Was just hoping for local feedback on widths, offsets, concavity, etc. looks like I’ll be one of the guinea pigs haha.
Either of you guys have links to pics of them on his F? Or can get him to post some? Very interested to see how they look on the car and wasn't able to find any on an F when I searched previously.
Old 02-11-18, 04:50 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

look like vorsteiner to me, i'm starting to become a wheel ***** my self just picked up 18x9.5 +45 wedssport sa10r for track duty and 19x9.5 +45 manaray sport vertec vr-5 m7 to look at for now. But im reallly digging the Rays Homura line

but these wheels you showing would look **** on a isf in bronze if its usb or white
Old 02-11-18, 07:19 AM
FFM
Racer

The following users liked this post:
WillAP1 (02-11-18)

Quick Reply: VS Forged Wheels?