IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2013 ISF - passenger airbag recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 10:07 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 2013 ISF - passenger airbag recall

Hopefully there are no more surprises, but I got an email from my local dealer regarding a recall.

I asked what is it about and was told the passenger airbag needs to be replaced. Appointment on 02/19.

Any other 2013's get this?

Anyways, just sharing. Not the end of the world, still love this car.
Old 02-08-18, 10:29 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Hopefully there are no more surprises, but I got an email from my local dealer regarding a recall.

I asked what is it about and was told the passenger airbag needs to be replaced. Appointment on 02/19.

Any other 2013's get this?

Anyways, just sharing. Not the end of the world, still love this car.
Is this related to the takata airbag recall?
Old 02-08-18, 10:56 AM
topguy573
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i have a 2013 and haven't sen anything yet
Old 02-08-18, 12:33 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Every single ISF has, or will be needing this recall taken cared of. Has nothing to do with the vehicle, just the company (Takeda) that manufactured the airbags. Just get it done and enjoy a free loaner for the day!
Also 2URGSE, since you'll be going to the same dealership as me, don't let them talk you into a $120+ cabin air filter and labor charge!!! They have to take that out anyway and just tried to slip some money out of me....claimed mine was bad/chewed up but little did they know I'd just replaced it a few weeks prior, lol! When I declined, they talked like it was a big deal that needed to be done. So I asked them to have it out for me so I could see it when I got there. They said "ok". I get there and asked to see it and he replies " it was all chewed up so we trashed it....went ahead and replaced it for you free of charge!". I told them thanks. I get home, pull it out to check it, and low and behold my aftermarket filter I'd just put in there was still installed, 100% perfect shape, like new😏!
If you let them, the dealer will swindle money out of ya!

V.
Old 02-08-18, 01:25 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

That is a blatant lie from the dealer I would have gone back and had a few choice words with the manager, the cabin filters are so easy and cheap to change blind Freddy could do it.
Old 02-08-18, 02:27 PM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Every single ISF has, or will be needing this recall taken cared of. Has nothing to do with the vehicle, just the company (Takeda) that manufactured the airbags. Just get it done and enjoy a free loaner for the day!
I absolutely despise going to the dealership for anything.
Also 2URGSE, since you'll be going to the same dealership as me, don't let them talk you into a $120+ cabin air filter and labor charge!!! They have to take that out anyway and just tried to slip some money out of me....claimed mine was bad/chewed up but little did they know I'd just replaced it a few weeks prior, lol! When I declined, they talked like it was a big deal that needed to be done. So I asked them to have it out for me so I could see it when I got there. They said "ok". I get there and asked to see it and he replies " it was all chewed up so we trashed it....went ahead and replaced it for you free of charge!". I told them thanks. I get home, pull it out to check it, and low and behold my aftermarket filter I'd just put in there was still installed, 100% perfect shape, like new��!

V.
... for reasons such as this.

Every single time I've taken my car to the dealership they've shown at least one degree of complete incompetence. Last time I had an oil change done there (strictly for the carfax / autocheck / service record), I politely let the SA know that the car has been overfilled every single trip. His answer to me was "you know, it sounds like you should be doing this yourself." Rude, but he was right and going forward I will. I perform all of the other work on my cars myself and my hatred for the dealership has overgrown my desire for a perfect service record. With screwed up oil changes, broken harnesses, test joyrides, lying, twisting arms, and the lack of a "tech" who knows more about an ISF than me, I'm finished with the dealership. Westmont, Woodfield and Arlington Heights.
Old 02-08-18, 06:16 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Also 2URGSE, since you'll be going to the same dealership as me, don't let them talk you into a $120+ cabin air filter and labor charge!!! They have to take that out anyway and just tried to slip some money out of me....claimed mine was bad/chewed up but little did they know I'd just replaced it a few weeks prior, lol! When I declined, they talked like it was a big deal that needed to be done. So I asked them to have it out for me so I could see it when I got there. They said "ok". I get there and asked to see it and he replies " it was all chewed up so we trashed it....went ahead and replaced it for you free of charge!". I told them thanks. I get home, pull it out to check it, and low and behold my aftermarket filter I'd just put in there was still installed, 100% perfect shape, like new��!

V.
This type of behavior should be reported to Lexus Corporate. Was the "change" recorded on your service record?

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 02-08-18 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-08-18, 07:56 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
This type of behavior should be reported to Lexus Corporate. Was the "change" recorded on your service record?

Lou
That is a good question.... I'm guessing no since he said they did it "complimentary". I'll see if I can find my paperwork for that particular visit.
Looking back on it, I should have made a complaint.
As far as the dealership goes, it's about a 60/40 split with 60% of the time we feel like we're treated fairly and IR the service/sales advisor goes above and beyond to take care of us/the vehicles (we currently have 3 Lexus vehicles we let them service). 40% of the time it seems like they're money hungry and/or like we're being ripped off. Terrible feeling, lol. And 40% of the time is definitely far too much. Very unfortunate as they most definitely do have some awesome employees and mechanics there....the bad ones ruin it for them all😔.

V.
Old 02-08-18, 08:06 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

all isf should have the air bag recall and it is all based in zone's A, B, C, C was the 1st one to get them, B second and A last. hot and humid areas got it 1st
Old 02-08-18, 08:17 PM
vkisf
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2014 ...hmmm, i wonder when will I get that letter.
Old 02-08-18, 08:21 PM
ISFCOBRA
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My passenger airbag was replaced due to recall just recently. I have a 2013 ISF.
Old 02-08-18, 09:42 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

I just got my airbag recall done today and I can confirm it's driver side passenger airbag which is probably what OP had done

No charge, I also had 100k mile service done, radiator replaced and a seat belt actuator replaced
Old 02-09-18, 07:57 AM
ISFMichael
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a good question.... I'm guessing no since he said they did it "complimentary". I'll see if I can find my paperwork for that particular visit.
Looking back on it, I should have made a complaint.
As far as the dealership goes, it's about a 60/40 split with 60% of the time we feel like we're treated fairly and IR the service/sales advisor goes above and beyond to take care of us/the vehicles (we currently have 3 Lexus vehicles we let them service). 40% of the time it seems like they're money hungry and/or like we're being ripped off. Terrible feeling, lol. And 40% of the time is definitely far too much. Very unfortunate as they most definitely do have some awesome employees and mechanics there....the bad ones ruin it for them all😔.

V.
Regardless if they claim they "changed" it at no charge, it would be written on the service record, take a look. I wouldn't let a dealership get off that easy on something like this.

I'm still waiting for the recall notice for my 2012 to come, but as far as I know, to date none have been sent out for my area.
Old 02-09-18, 11:46 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa
I just got my airbag recall done today and I can confirm it's driver side passenger airbag which is probably what OP had done

No charge, I also had 100k mile service done, radiator replaced and a seat belt actuator replaced
Had this done recently to my 2010. It's the passenger's airbag that is the subject of the Takata recall.

For those concerned about taking your car to the dealership, I share your concern. That said, Riverside Lexus has an "F" car master tech who does all the service work on my car (by request) and I have been very pleased with him. He's also the only guy on staff trained and certified to service the LFA. I would think every dealer would have someone like him. It would pay to ask, at least.

Ken.
Old 02-10-18, 03:35 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by KJH
Had this done recently to my 2010. It's the passenger's airbag that is the subject of the Takata recall.

For those concerned about taking your car to the dealership, I share your concern. That said, Riverside Lexus has an "F" car master tech who does all the service work on my car (by request) and I have been very pleased with him. He's also the only guy on staff trained and certified to service the LFA. I would think every dealer would have someone like him. It would pay to ask, at least.

Ken.
I feel a lot better taking my F to Lexus of Riverside's service department precisely because of what Ken stated. Even though it's a 50 mile drive (not including traffic at times) for me essentially four times, I have never minded taking my F to Riverside just because I know the work will get done correctly and there will be no issues after the fact, such as a scratched wheel or nick in the interior or such. This is something that I will need to get done soon, as I was hesitant on whether it would've been completed prior to when I needed to have my car smog checked for registration.

Quick Reply: 2013 ISF - passenger airbag recall