Hello/Goodbye - Moving on from IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18, 10:09 PM
SBradP
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hello/Goodbye - Moving on from IS-F

Greetings,

I'm a long time lurker of the forum, but never did participate much. The info and help you all have provided has been very beneficial. I have a 2011 SGM IS-F that I have loved, but I just picked up a 2018 AR Giulia QV. Its a beast and a hoot to drive. I should be posting it for sale shortly. Several times I came very close to picking up a performance package 2016 and 2017 RC-F or 2017 GS-F, but they neither felt like it was on another level and the local DFW dealer wasnt eager to negotiate like others were reporting here to close that desire gap above the IS-F. The QV does perform like its on another level.

I love the F brand relative rarity of our cars, but I hope that they continue to develop and push the envelop in future models.
The following users liked this post:
imp0rted1 (02-01-18)
Old 01-31-18, 10:20 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by SBradP
Greetings,

I'm a long time lurker of the forum, but never did participate much. The info and help you all have provided has been very beneficial. I have a 2011 SGM IS-F that I have loved, but I just picked up a 2018 AR Giulia QV. Its a beast and a hoot to drive. I should be posting it for sale shortly. Several times I came very close to picking up a performance package 2016 and 2017 RC-F or 2017 GS-F, but they neither felt like it was on another level and the local DFW dealer wasnt eager to negotiate like others were reporting here to close that desire gap above the IS-F. The QV does perform like its on another level.

I love the F brand relative rarity of our cars, but I hope that they continue to develop and push the envelop in future models.
That's the one with the Ferrari engine right? Nice!!! I have been looking at one for a while, but I'm scared about reliability
SBradP (02-02-18)
Old 01-31-18, 10:27 PM
SBradP
Driver School Candidate

Yes the 505Hp Ferrari derived engine.
I know reliability will be different from Lexus, but I'm hoping second year model will be better.
Old 01-31-18, 11:10 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Yes the 505Hp Ferrari derived engine.
I know reliability will be different from Lexus, but I'm hoping second year model will be better.
Did you get the extended warranty through Alfa? What do you think about the ergonomics of the car? Build quality on the one I checked out wasn't that great, but it was one of the first in Houston
Old 01-31-18, 11:53 PM
Apexsports
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the Alfa Brad, let us know your driving impressions if you would. I'm thinking of getting one in a year or two once we see how reliability does.
Old 02-01-18, 05:54 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Congrats, Did you lease or finance?
Old 02-01-18, 08:42 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Congrats!!........I test drove an AR QV and the response of the engine was nice and that steering damn was it quick and direct

Hopefully you secured an extended warranty?? I think that's Alfa's biggest deterrent for a lot of car enthusiasts is the reliability aspect?? Still unknown at this point, but beautiful car nonetheless
SBradP (02-02-18)
Old 02-01-18, 09:17 AM
SBradP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vraa
Did you get the extended warranty through Alfa? What do you think about the ergonomics of the car? Build quality on the one I checked out wasn't that great, but it was one of the first in Houston
The car is very comfortable with the Sparco Racing seats. The hold you well during aggressive driving. I fell in love with the alcantara of the ISF so I was looking for that again which the Giulia does have. Fit and finish of the vehicle is very nice. I dont see any structural issues externally or in the cabin. There are some areas that could be fleshed out some more with some luxury appointments, but then we would be back to the weight issue of the current gen F vehicles.

I haven't picked up the extend warranty yet, but as long as you are within the first year and 12k miles you can purchase it online. I'll be doing that soon.
Old 02-01-18, 09:27 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

The car is very comfortable with the Sparco Racing seats. The hold you well during aggressive driving. I fell in love with the alcantara of the ISF so I was looking for that again which the Giulia does have. Fit and finish of the vehicle is very nice. I dont see any structural issues externally or in the cabin. There are some areas that could be fleshed out some more with some luxury appointments, but then we would be back to the weight issue of the current gen F vehicles.

I haven't picked up the extend warranty yet, but as long as you are within the first year and 12k miles you can purchase it online. I'll be doing that soon.
Do you mind sharing some $ numbers?

I tried to get them to roll the cost of the extended warranty into the car, they said the vehicle was selling well so they weren't even doing any discounts

I'm not sure if I believe them or not, I don't see many on the road and I didn't see inventory moving even after many months
Old 02-01-18, 10:04 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Have some awesome car-geek friends (one is a writer/photog for Jalopnik/CoTA/RedBull) who rave on your choice of replacement mightily, congrats!!

That said, they also mentioned how surprisingly similar the Giulia felt to my F with my performance mods (power, weight, suspension). Was your F fairly stock?
SBradP (02-02-18)
Old 02-01-18, 10:42 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Photos of both cars or did not happen :-)))
Old 02-01-18, 02:50 PM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

0-60 in 3.6 seconds
SBradP (02-02-18)
Old 02-02-18, 06:31 AM
SBradP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vraa
Do you mind sharing some $ numbers?

I tried to get them to roll the cost of the extended warranty into the car, they said the vehicle was selling well so they weren't even doing any discounts

I'm not sure if I believe them or not, I don't see many on the road and I didn't see inventory moving even after many months
I initially wanted that approach as well, but that didn't really work. Besides there are better priced manufacture warranties you can pick up from different dealerships. I ended up with over 3% off and got them to omit some of the pure profit nonsense fees. My approach was to always talk about it as OTD price. Therefore there is no silliness at the finance manager at the end.

Check out this thread - there is a guy saying his dealer will do $5-6K off on orders depending on options you select which beats my deal, but I didn't want to wait and already had a verbal agreement with my dealer.

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/48...-qv-price.html

Since you're in TX too - Have to give a shout out to my dealer in El Paso @ Sunland Park Alfa Romeo - Juan Carlos. Was professional, polite, and very responsive to communications throughout all phases of the process.
Old 02-02-18, 06:36 AM
SBradP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Leander311
Have some awesome car-geek friends (one is a writer/photog for Jalopnik/CoTA/RedBull) who rave on your choice of replacement mightily, congrats!!

That said, they also mentioned how surprisingly similar the Giulia felt to my F with my performance mods (power, weight, suspension). Was your F fairly stock?
Yes - Mine is full stock.
Old 02-02-18, 06:46 AM
SBradP
Driver School Candidate

Yes - they are rarer than our F at this point.

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/48...ads-us-16.html

Last edited by SBradP; 02-02-18 at 06:50 AM. Reason: photo did not show

Quick Reply: Hello/Goodbye - Moving on from IS-F