IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2009 is f!!! Or do i wait???

Old 01-03-18, 11:06 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Better is always relative really. If you don't track the car some of the things that make the later models great wont matter to some. I aimed for a 2010 because I wanted LSD and I personally am with the group of people who like the 08-10 speedometer better. So it was best of both worlds to me, but, when I was shopping around I found an 08 for perfect price and very well taken care of, I couldn't pass it up.

Coming from an E92 M3, not having LSD was only noticeable when I was driving on the edge, beyond that, I cant tell a difference. If something happened to my car now I would go later model of course if I decided to get another ISF.
Old 01-03-18, 12:37 PM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by sc3dreamin
yea, im with you, only reason id buy an 08 is to save a few bucks, theres not 1 upgrade on a 2011 that I dont want or like...the headlights are better, steering wheels better, suspensions better, diffs better, wheels are better IMO, seats are better, techs better but there will always be the guy with the 2008 that has to rationalize why he got the 08 over the 11 and thats fine, to each their own. Im just thinking the LSD alone is enough to make me buy a 2010+ car

lol, I understand that, I was more saying if you had a stock 2008 and a stock 2011 sitting there, you would take the 2011. Its a better car, period.
There's no question an 11+ model is better in nearly every way to the early models, but when I bought mine an 08 with 30k was $30k from Lexus(already a good deal as several private sellers wanted even more than that). A similar 20-40k mile 11+ ISF was and still is easily $38-43k. Private sellers you can take off a few k, but tougher to finance and no warranty.

Call it rationalizing(I still don't like the alcantara or nike led's, even on the 3IS) but I'd rather have a modded 08-10 to my liking than have a stock 11+. For the money I've spent on coilovers, intake, exhaust, wheels, diffuser, lip, splitters, painting the brakes, wrapping the grill/roof, I could have easily bought an 11+, or just the LSD/lights/cluster/etc instead, but I'm a happy camper because I found a great clean car with superb history/condition and bumper to bumper warranty to boot. No, I don't track it and miss the LSD, and I may be an idiot for not doing it, but I've thoroughly enjoyed my commute and weekend drives and the nearly 30k in a year speaks for itself. All in all they are all great cars, and easy to upgrade/update if you wish to do so.
The following users liked this post:
sc3dreamin (01-03-18)
Old 01-03-18, 12:47 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by sc3dreamin
lol, I understand that, I was more saying if you had a stock 2008 and a stock 2011 sitting there, you would take the 2011. Its a better car, period.
I want to say this is true, but from the perspective of someone who bought the car new - I got an additional three years so far with the 08 car versus waiting. That's almost 1000 days of pure joy.
Old 01-03-18, 01:29 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
There's no question an 11+ model is better in nearly every way to the early models, but when I bought mine an 08 with 30k was $30k from Lexus(already a good deal as several private sellers wanted even more than that). A similar 20-40k mile 11+ ISF was and still is easily $38-43k. Private sellers you can take off a few k, but tougher to finance and no warranty.

Call it rationalizing(I still don't like the alcantara or nike led's, even on the 3IS) but I'd rather have a modded 08-10 to my liking than have a stock 11+. For the money I've spent on coilovers, intake, exhaust, wheels, diffuser, lip, splitters, painting the brakes, wrapping the grill/roof, I could have easily bought an 11+, or just the LSD/lights/cluster/etc instead, but I'm a happy camper because I found a great clean car with superb history/condition and bumper to bumper warranty to boot. No, I don't track it and miss the LSD, and I may be an idiot for not doing it, but I've thoroughly enjoyed my commute and weekend drives and the nearly 30k in a year speaks for itself. All in all they are all great cars, and easy to upgrade/update if you wish to do so.
See and that's where I sat with it, I'm not huge on the alcantara or the newer cluster. I think everyone has their preferences lol. People say better in every way and I get it cause a lot got tweaked with the later models so I get it. But coming from someone who would mod the car to my liking like you said, it wouldn't make a difference to me(but that's just me). Some of that stuff you wont see the potential unless you push it hard or track it. But I love my 08, but if something happened to it I would go for a 11+ no doubt

But no regrets on the early model
Old 01-03-18, 06:41 PM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
See and that's where I sat with it, I'm not huge on the alcantara or the newer cluster. I think everyone has their preferences lol. People say better in every way and I get it cause a lot got tweaked with the later models so I get it. But coming from someone who would mod the car to my liking like you said, it wouldn't make a difference to me(but that's just me). Some of that stuff you wont see the potential unless you push it hard or track it. But I love my 08, but if something happened to it I would go for a 11+ no doubt

But no regrets on the early model
I totally understand buying a 08 and modding to your liking, adding LSD, doing coil over etc. especially if the price difference is that large, in my case the price of the 2011 was basically the same as the 08s I was looking at with a little less miles so just made sense to go 2011 for me.

Things like the alcantara and speedo dont make much a difference to me although if I had my choice, id prob take the leather/alcantara combo just cause it adds a little more flare over basic leather, just looks more sporty to me, a lot of sports cars have alcantara and seude in them.

I think I actually prefer the 08 speedo but the big RPM tach is interesting, plus the lights to tell you when to shift are pretty cool so id go either way there

The big things for me are the LSD, suspension, and headlights.
Old 01-03-18, 09:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,324 Posts

I don't like the newer lights at all. They lost the left-right functionality of the earlier models. I don't like the Alcantara - tried it on a long drive with a friend and prefer my '08 seats. Don't like the newer gauges.

Do like the A2DP functionality of the Gen 6 nav. Do like the LSD, but like my OS Giken a whole lot more (have driven both back to back, and the Torsen is OK, but the Giken is spectacular). Do like the better spring/damping of the 2011 and later models.

Put both side by side at the same price and I'll pick the '08-'09 every time.