IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

OMG only 5 weeks with car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-17, 06:08 AM
BennyISF
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lawrence1
there is no question that the car can be repaired to be as good as new with the correct equipment and skillful bodywork. I am not a subscriber to this myth that it will never be the same if repaired either. With insurance companies however, it's essentially a numbers game and totaling a car has nothing to do with whether or not it's repairable, as anything can be fixed.

Its a 2009 with 68K miles
the retail cost to repair that car by a body shop will likely approach $18k-$20K so there's a very good chance it'll end up a total since salvage value is probably somewhere around $10K as is.

The math looks like this:
Actual cash value (ACV) = $30K (throwing a number out there)
Salvage value = $10K (estimate of what the car would bring at auction in its damaged state)
Estimated repair cost = $20K (preliminary). There are always supplements so this can go up and usually does go up.

The net difference between ACV and salvage value + estimated repair cost is essentially a wash, therefore it's easier to total and close the file quickly, instead of dealing with the hassle, having to warranty the repair, deal with body shop, pay for a rental, etc. Even if it initially looks less costly to repair, insurance companies will typically total a vehicle when it gets close.

these numbers are only estimates of course, as i don't know the specifics of the OP car (i.e. year, mileage, etc).
its a 2009 with 68k miles
Old 12-13-17, 12:31 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

my guess is that it will likely ACV somewhere around $28K. I would say definitely totaled.

let us know how it plays out.
Old 12-15-17, 12:14 PM
sleepstate
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sad to say, but looking at the numbers it seems totaled to me.
Old 12-15-17, 04:18 PM
GS430FTW
Rookie

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I think it can be fixed professionally between $5,500 and $6,500. 7 years ago a guy with a Dodge Ram pick up backed up and hit my son's car (1999 GS400) the damage was the front grill, Radiator support, Radiator, condenser, and the hood. The body shop's estimate was $7,400, and the insurance decided to pay us $10,500 and total the car, we refused , and told the insurance that we will take the car and fix it, and not to total the car . The insurance agreed, and payed my son $6,700.00, i ended up fixing the car for $2,400.00 (brand new OEM hood $400.00, condenser $200.00, Radiator $230.00, and OEM grill $95.00 used (e.Bay), the rest was Labor & painting the hood.
Old 12-15-17, 05:08 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

It always makes me sad to see things like this. Cars can be replaced, people can't. As long as you're ok, that's what's most important.
Old 12-16-17, 12:07 PM
knshro13
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Sometimes (if not, all times) I prefer to have them total the car. Get a fresh start.

Goodluck OP. and like above comment, remember cars can be replaced!
Old 12-18-17, 08:53 AM
BennyISF
Driver

Ok fellas here’s the scoop so I removed my car from Lexus so called collision center because they were taking to long to give me a repair estimate 4 days with car and not one phone call or anything. So a buddy of mine owns a high end repair shop and I had the car transferred there. Today the insurance went out and they are going to repair the car and bring it back to it’s former glory! Completion date is January 15th. Now my buddy will let me go in his shop to look at progress and I will post pictures on here so you can see the repair process!
Old 12-18-17, 02:25 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

how much was the preliminary estimate to repair? and what was the threshold for a total from the estimating software?
Old 12-18-17, 02:43 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Oh wow I thought for sure it would be just totaled out and called a wrap. At least it will be fixed but I'm weird like that, I wouldn't still want it, just would try and find another. In my head it "losses its essence" but that's just me lol. To each his own and I'm glad it is getting fixed and your car will be back in a couple weeks
Old 12-18-17, 04:19 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

^^^As long as they fix it well, sometimes it can bring you closer to your car. Now you two have been through a crises together and should bond. She took a hit, kept you safe and is still rolling. Respect!

Sometimes you need to pay homage to the car kharma gods and be happy and just let it go. There’s nothing to say that you wouldn’t sell this one, buy another, and have a similar thing happen.
Old 12-18-17, 06:30 PM
BennyISF
Driver

Originally Posted by lawrence1
how much was the preliminary estimate to repair? and what was the threshold for a total from the estimating software?
$8600 and the threshold for total with Erie insurance was $22K adjuster told me that Supplements will happen throughout the repair process and could add a few grand more but will not get no where near close to being totaled.
The following users liked this post:
EJC (03-25-18)
Old 12-18-17, 08:28 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BennyISF
$8600 and the threshold for total with Erie insurance was $22K adjuster told me that Supplements will happen throughout the repair process and could add a few grand more but will not get no where near close to being totaled.
Id be surprised if this doesn't end up costing closer to double that estimate. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck with the repairs and i hope it comes out perfect.
Old 12-19-17, 08:45 AM
MpKSonic
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Please keep us updated. I'd be shocked if the price of repair doesn't quickly climb above initial estimate.

Also, if full repairs do go through, be sure the car is align-able within spec.
Old 01-02-18, 04:52 PM
BennyISF
Driver

Update!!!! Not so fast fellas but car has just left body shop and going into paint shop tomorrow. Super excited and I was able to see the repairs first hand they look spot on!! New quarter and bumper sit flush and exactly where they should be, trunk area looks great and exactly how it should be repaired. Now I don’t have pictures because I’m waiting till the car is finished to post them. Don’t worry it will be worth the wait. Some upgrades I should mention while in the shop, sikky intake, 14 ISF led fogs light, new Brembo rotors and brake pads, calipers will be painted burnt copper, weather tech floor Matt’s that I never got a chance to install because of the accident lol, spec-d tailight that are slightly smoked compliments to the bodyshop lol.

two bonuses that came with the car (amp kit) and I will post a picture of the second one.
Attached Thumbnails OMG only 5 weeks with car!!!-8dd4c5dd-3490-4a3d-93c9-d88a6e33444b.jpeg  
Old 01-02-18, 04:57 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

^^ Glad to see you're making good (and better) out of a bad situation.^^

Quick Reply: OMG only 5 weeks with car!!!