IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

regret 2010 over 2011 +?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-17, 10:26 PM
FlexedLEX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default regret 2010 over 2011 +?

Hi all, i recently picked up a beautiful dark grey 2010 ISF. They are difficult to find close to home to test drive as many of you already know. Well my car has the LSD which is good, but from a comfort standpoint there is a lack of consistency. On crappy roads here in the bay area it is absolutely unbearable at times, but on smooth roads the car feels flawless and comfortable yet sporty... I’m starting to wish I had opted for the 2011 + model given the fact this will be my daily driver.

Have any of you regretted not getting a 2011 + and did you go down the path of mickey mousing with the suspension in an effort to attain a more comfy ride?
Old 12-10-17, 03:52 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

If you can find one in good condition (which is the challenge), a '12-'14 is well worth the investment!! I wasn't gunna "settle" for anything under a '12 when I was buying an F. Took over a year and a half, but patience is a virtue!
A few of the differences, if you want to know, between the '11 and '12+'s, are:
*Thicker steering wheel on '12+
*Wider wheels AND tires on '12+
*Updated nav display (updated again in the '13 and '14's)
*Better looking (my opinion only) wheels on the '12-'14's (although the factory '10 & '11 wheels do look pretty good as well)
*Another revision in the suspension on the '12+'s over the '11's and down (don't quote me on this one but I believe that's accurate)
*'11+s have the led headlights which, again, my opinion, look soooo much more up to date than the '10's and under. Also with the led headlights you get the sexy black headlight housings!!
*'14's have the carbon fiber trunk spoiler and also added the "F" logo in the headrest, like the RCF and GSF have
*More interior options came along in '12 as well, including my favorite (which I HAD to have), the red interior!

I believe that's it. Someone chime in if I left something out, lol.
All those^^^thing can of course be changed up/upgraded, but I'm sure would cost you damn near double of just buying a '12+.
Anyhow, some of the suspension experts her can help you with upgrading it surely if that's the only gripe you have with the car. Also make sure your alignment is spot on and you have good quality, fresh tires. Tires go a LONG way in vehicle ride comfort!!! Good luck and congrats on the F!!

V.
Old 12-10-17, 06:05 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

^^^^All of the differences you mention, except the NAV and Red interior can be applied (updated) to earlier models.

Lou
Old 12-10-17, 06:54 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^All of the differences you mention, except the NAV and Red interior can be applied (updated) to earlier models.

Lou
Technically, you can add/swap out to the red interior and swap to the newer nav if you want...not much more work than swapping steering wheels, imo, lol. Whether it's worth the cost and effort....that's a much different story.

​​​​​​Also, I think I left one thing out....what year did they swap the sport button to the steering wheel and not on the dash? Was that '11?

V.
Old 12-10-17, 08:18 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

The 12+ have wider wheels, but not tires.

Regarding the Navi, do any of you even use the navigation system in the car? I have never used mine, not once. Google Maps is so far superior there is no reason to use the factory nav.
Old 12-10-17, 08:29 AM
FlexedLEX
Rookie

Appreciate the feedback guys.

In terms of comfort, it’s still miles ahead of most of the sports cars I’ve owned..But to be specific it almost seems like the suspension articulates too much over every bump, and some refer to this as being “heavily dampened”? I did research on here and took I8ABMR’s advice on his youtube channel that the 2010’s weren’t that bad for hauling the family around.

During the test drive I hunted for potholes and it never felt that bad at the time, the excitement probably masked any issues, lol.

It would have been nice to have the sport button on the wheel, and all the other stuff mentioned above ...but things I’m thankful for on my 2010 are the LSD suspension update, updated Lexus ENFORM Nav, and the ML sound system. The 2010 is an in between year and it has a significant enough upgrade with the LSD, other ISF shoppers should still consider it, given the rarity of the vehicle.

The car is in immaculate shape and I love the granite mica color and the 2010 wheels. If it gets to a point where I cant get use to it for the daily grind then i’ll swap out the suspension parts or just sell it for a 12+.

***With all of that said.... Where can i find a detailed write up on a PROVEN set up that adds as much comfort to the 2010s as the 2011+???

Last edited by FlexedLEX; 12-10-17 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-10-17, 09:49 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought a 2010 back in 2013 and I still love it. Sure it doesn't have all the 2011+ goodies like LED headlights but at the time I was looking the 2011+ commanded a bigger price premium. Honestly, you could swap the 2011+ suspension over to this 2010 but guys who have done it, it's not a day and night difference. You aren't going to get comfy ride out of it. I plan to at least do the 2013 suspension when it comes time to replace my set up. I know we need a rear sub frame if you want to take advantage of the rest of the goodies like bushings and other changes they made. At the end of the day, I'm still happy with my 2010 and having the LSD was a big deal for me. Anything else you could just swap to your car - steering wheel, suspension, headlights, and wheels.

If you want a more comfy ride you'll need to get some coilovers like KW. You could go as crazy as a Penske setup but you'll spend $5k to get there.
Old 12-10-17, 03:19 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

2010 here, no regrets for sure.

- prefer the dual cluster design
- wanted black leather (not available on 2011/12 cars, the fake alcantara was awful to me, compared to Porsche)
- love the limited slip diff of course
- upsized to 245/35/19 and 275/30/19 tires when original tires needed replacement
- already upgraded to the 2013 LED headlights (2011s were bubbling BTW)
- even with the 2011 suspension, I would have to lower the front “off road” looking gap and did with eibach spring for now and definitely will put KW3 coilovers when my shox need replacement.
- used 15mm H&R spacers on my stock BBS wheels, prefer the spider design of 2010 MY.
- upgraded to the 2011 steering ECU and installed Figs bushings for sharper steering feel.

So as soon as the KW coilovers get installed, there is really nothing to miss or regret for me.
Old 12-10-17, 04:46 PM
FlexedLEX
Rookie

Originally Posted by PatrickISF
I bought a 2010 back in 2013 and I still love it. Sure it doesn't have all the 2011+ goodies like LED headlights but at the time I was looking the 2011+ commanded a bigger price premium. Honestly, you could swap the 2011+ suspension over to this 2010 but guys who have done it, it's not a day and night difference. You aren't going to get comfy ride out of it. I plan to at least do the 2013 suspension when it comes time to replace my set up. I know we need a rear sub frame if you want to take advantage of the rest of the goodies like bushings and other changes they made. At the end of the day, I'm still happy with my 2010 and having the LSD was a big deal for me. Anything else you could just swap to your car - steering wheel, suspension, headlights, and wheels.

If you want a more comfy ride you'll need to get some coilovers like KW. You could go as crazy as a Penske setup but you'll spend $5k to get there.
Yeah 2011 + do command a bit much more and you’re right most of the components can be swapped in.
I will say I’ve read my fair share of posts from owners tgat swear the 2011 + is miles better than earlier years.
I dont care about anything else beyond improved comfort and the LED update.
IMO the 2010 wheels are beautiful and best of the flock, so i’ll keep those.

Penske at 5k? damn! lol
Old 12-10-17, 04:54 PM
FlexedLEX
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rossi
2010 here, no regrets for sure.

- prefer the dual cluster design
- wanted black leather (not available on 2011/12 cars, the fake alcantara was awful to me, compared to Porsche)
- love the limited slip diff of course
- upsized to 245/35/19 and 275/30/19 tires when original tires needed replacement
- already upgraded to the 2013 LED headlights (2011s were bubbling BTW)
- even with the 2011 suspension, I would have to lower the front “off road” looking gap and did with eibach spring for now and definitely will put KW3 coilovers when my shox need replacement.
- used 15mm H&R spacers on my stock BBS wheels, prefer the spider design of 2010 MY.
- upgraded to the 2011 steering ECU and installed Figs bushings for sharper steering feel.

So as soon as the KW coilovers get installed, there is really nothing to miss or regret for me.
Good to hear on the “no regrets”... and I'm with you in the black leather being preferred.
**Where did you get your 2013 LED’s?
Have you thought of going 295’s in the rear? it would look so mean with wider tires.
out back. When i owned my WS6, i had some 305 Bridgestone KDW tires out back and it really morphed the car into looking even more sinister.

I’ll probably end up doing KW’s down the road.

In terms of comfort, i ran some errands today, and picked up a christmas tree and tied it to the roof...don’t worry it was wrapped in plastic with padding underneath.... well I gotta tell you, the car didn't feel that bad over the bumps... maybe i just have to get familiar to this overly articulating suspension at times....when i hit the smooth freeway on ramp it was as smooth as i could ever want.

Bottom line, the car is growing on me fast and I’m happy i made the purchase. Thanks to you all, it helps me feel better knowing other owners have solutions in play to fix some minor/major things to get her dialed in... NO REGRETS!

Last edited by FlexedLEX; 12-10-17 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-10-17, 06:26 PM
Rossi
Racer

Originally Posted by FlexedLEX
Good to hear on the “no regrets”... and I'm with you in the black leather being preferred.
**Where did you get your 2013 LED’s?
Have you thought of going 295’s in the rear? it would look so mean with wider tires.
out back. I’ll probably end up doing KW’s down the road.
I bought the headlights for $900 from a member here, local guy for me. It’s a must upgrade.

As far as tires, 275s in the rear are the widest size recommended on 2010 OEM wheels. Also I have 15mm spacers all around. However, I have Goodyears asymmetrics 2s, which run way wider than any Michelins or Bridgestone in the same size. With those and spacers I cannot go any wider. When I switched from Michelin’s SS to Goodyears, I had to roll the fenders.

I cannot wait wait to get the KW coilovers, but no rush as my shocks are still fine. No need to throw money away.
Old 12-10-17, 08:06 PM
FlexedLEX
Rookie

I bought the headlights for $900 from a member here, local guy for me. It’s a must upgrade.

As far as tires, 275s in the rear are the widest size recommended on 2010 OEM wheels. Also I have 15mm spacers all around. However, I have Goodyears asymmetrics 2s, which run way wider than any Michelins or Bridgestone in the same size. With those and spacers I cannot go any wider. When I switched from Michelin’s SS to Goodyears, I had to roll the fenders.

I cannot wait wait to get the KW coilovers, but no rush as my shocks are still fine. No need to throw money away.
Could you post a picture of how it sits looking at it from behind?
Old 12-10-17, 08:52 PM
Rossi
Racer

Could you post a picture of how it sits looking at it from behind?
not sure if you can see what you looking for
Attached Thumbnails regret 2010 over 2011 +?-ca8c5caa-d490-4b2c-80ca-3f326d102c05.jpeg  
Old 12-10-17, 10:05 PM
FlexedLEX
Rookie

not sure if you can see what you looking for
nice look to your car. I was trying to see if the tires are perfectly flush with the wheel well... can’t really tell from that pic.
Old 12-10-17, 10:29 PM
Rossi
Racer

nice look to your car. I was trying to see if the tires are perfectly flush with the wheel well... can’t really tell from that pic.
..... I find it perfect
Attached Thumbnails regret 2010 over 2011 +?-21af2dff-282d-4b86-8d2a-8963c3252446.png  

Last edited by Rossi; 12-10-17 at 10:35 PM.

Quick Reply: regret 2010 over 2011 +?