IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Hesitant, slower and loss of responsiveness lately on ISF

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-17, 06:28 PM
Fredd001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimase
From what I remember generally worn spark plugs will manifest themselves at higher rpm first, leave them in there long enough and you might get idle problems as well. In boost applications you closed the gap smaller and smaller until the misfire went away, it was kinda a give and take. You want a larger gap to get better combustion at idle or just off idle, but these big gaps wouldn't function at higher rpm and boost, so you wanted smaller gaps there. Only smaller gaps didn't get you the best idle.
I appreciate the info! That sounds legit specially with the boost application so I hope I will be back in WOT in no time!
Plugs will arrive mid to late week so we’ll see what happens. I want to get the fuel system cleaned too to clean out injectors but I’ll do plugs first to rule out Inector clogging.
Old 12-07-17, 08:38 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah my vote is spark plugs as well. But the car might just need a good once over of all the basics just to be sure(cleaning MAF, clean filter, etc, etc)
Old 12-09-17, 07:25 PM
Fredd001
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE:
So guys, I changed the Spark Plugs, cleaned MAF & TB and i noticed improvement but still doesn't feel right. At this point i don't know if its just me or what but car felt faster and more responsive before. I still get lag between pressing the pedal and the actual acceleration (felt almost instant before). When mashing the gas all the way down im getting a climb in current gear then a hiccup and then it drops down in gear and takes off. Before i never noticed any hiccuping on the rpms when accelerating, instead smooth climb of the rpms. So what else you guys think can be causing the transmission to be doing this? I am also noticing more exhaust smell when pushing the car, before not as much. It is running richer? Besides that car shifts smooth, no CEL lights. Car drives "normal" i just notice/feel the lag&power under WOT. This **** is driving me crazy 1/4th of the time i gun it i see the clean drop down in shift and smooth rpm climb. the other 3/4ths is the climb in current gear for a bit then it actually drops down. Is the fuel pump not supplying enough fuel? could it be going bad? I plan on having the voltage on injectors checked and maybe a fuel system cleaning to try and make sure injectors are not clogged. At this point im about to go back to the dealership and see whats going.I know im not going crazy lol.
Any inputs?

Last edited by Fredd001; 12-09-17 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-10-17, 02:05 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

This is sounding like gearbox service or gearbox ecu.
Old 12-10-17, 06:36 AM
Fredd001
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by isfvss
This is sounding like gearbox service or gearbox ecu.
thats what I was thinking but the tranny shifts normal when regular driven...
any lexus gurus want to chime in? Can you tag anyone on posts lol?
Old 12-10-17, 10:11 AM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredd001
UPDATE:
So guys, I changed the Spark Plugs, cleaned MAF & TB and i noticed improvement but still doesn't feel right. At this point i don't know if its just me or what but car felt faster and more responsive before. I still get lag between pressing the pedal and the actual acceleration (felt almost instant before). When mashing the gas all the way down im getting a climb in current gear then a hiccup and then it drops down in gear and takes off. Before i never noticed any hiccuping on the rpms when accelerating, instead smooth climb of the rpms. So what else you guys think can be causing the transmission to be doing this? I am also noticing more exhaust smell when pushing the car, before not as much. It is running richer? Besides that car shifts smooth, no CEL lights. Car drives "normal" i just notice/feel the lag&power under WOT. This **** is driving me crazy 1/4th of the time i gun it i see the clean drop down in shift and smooth rpm climb. the other 3/4ths is the climb in current gear for a bit then it actually drops down. Is the fuel pump not supplying enough fuel? could it be going bad? I plan on having the voltage on injectors checked and maybe a fuel system cleaning to try and make sure injectors are not clogged. At this point im about to go back to the dealership and see whats going.I know im not going crazy lol.
Any inputs?
Did all the spark plugs look the same when you pulled them? Know anyone with a techstream?
Old 12-10-17, 10:38 AM
Fredd001
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ultimase
Did all the spark plugs look the same when you pulled them? Know anyone with a techstream?
Yes sir all spark plugs looked the same, I did notice a difference with the spark plug change and maf cleaning but the gear shifts and rpms climb still look different than before. What is Tech stream I might be able to download it

Last edited by Fredd001; 12-10-17 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-10-17, 02:38 PM
stock08
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes sir all spark plugs looked the same, I did notice a difference with the spark plug change and maf cleaning but the gear shifts and rpms climb still look different than before. What is Tech stream I might be able to download it
How does the car feel when you put it in the right gear manually? The ecu adapts to your driving habbits, mine did the same also until i started mashing on the gas and going through the rpm's and gears. After about the 5th or 6th time it started downshifting into a lower gear faster.
The following users liked this post:
Fredd001 (12-10-17)
Old 12-10-17, 05:24 PM
Fredd001
Driver School Candidate

Ok guys I really took notes this time driving and this is the issue that’s driving me nuts and did NOT happen before: When cruising at 2000 rpms, I mash the pedal to the floor, it downshifts rpms jump to 4200 rpms then for a second it drops down to 4000rpms and then it rises smoothly. So instead of downshifting to 4200 and rising, I get a drop in rpms after the downshift . Does you guyses car do this when trying to take off? Is this engine or tranny in you guys opinion? Has no one ever ran into this? Any Lexus or Toyota master tech here? Thank you
Old 12-10-17, 06:40 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I would check and set the transmission fluid level following the lexus procedure. My transmission was not as responsive and snappy after the dealer replaced my exhaust manifold as theyvhalf assed the repair and neglected to top off the transmission fluid. I just set it the other day and everything is back to normal. I added about 0.5 qts (i added more but this is what it was low by). Make sure to use atf ws fluid. You can also clear your transmission adaptations with techstram once you're done. Let us know how it turns out.
Fredd001 (12-10-17)
Old 12-10-17, 06:59 PM
Fredd001
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lawrence1
I would check and set the transmission fluid level following the lexus procedure. My transmission was not as responsive and snappy after the dealer replaced my exhaust manifold as theyvhalf assed the repair and neglected to top off the transmission fluid. I just set it the other day and everything is back to normal. I added about 0.5 qts (i added more but this is what it was low by). Make sure to use atf ws fluid. You can also clear your transmission adaptations with techstram once you're done. Let us know how it turns out.
I appreciate the input! Supposedly your not supposed to touch the tranny fluid at all according to what I’ve read but You suggest I still do it anyways? Any guides on how to check and top off the fluid on our tranny’s? I’m looking into that techstream, can anyone do it? Any guides on that? Thanks a lot man I hate asking questions but when it comes to the F I don’t want to mess anything up
Old 12-10-17, 07:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Time to check the transmission fluid level.
Fredd001 (12-10-17)
Old 12-10-17, 08:27 PM
Fredd001
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Time to check the transmission fluid level.
Just read all 19 pages of the tranny fluid fiasco and will be checking the levels or taking it to the dealership. Thank you all will post updates soon.
Old 12-11-17, 06:33 AM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Just read all 19 pages of the tranny fluid fiasco and will be checking the levels or taking it to the dealership. Thank you all will post updates soon.
well it isn't that complicated ... some people make it seem like you're performing brain surgery. Just follow the steps in the attachment below (the temperature range is critical) and you should be OK. Also make sure you use the correct fluid. Techstream can be purchased off amazon or ebay, along with the OBD cable for less than $50 bucks (not a genuine copy but will work just fine). You can browse around on another Toyota forum for instructions on how to install it if you have issues. For the most part, the install should be fairly basic if you have an adequate laptop to use.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IS-F transmission fill.pdf (171.5 KB, 492 views)
Old 12-11-17, 08:34 AM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I recently did a transmission fluid change and like its been said, the temperature check really isnt complicated

Quick Reply: Hesitant, slower and loss of responsiveness lately on ISF