IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Project Mu NS400 Discontinued

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-17, 08:01 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Project Mu NS400 Discontinued

I wanted to make a quick post to clear some things up since it seems that most people are not aware of the changes Project Mu has decided to make in their pad offerings. Without any warning (including to us, one of their largest distributors) Project Mu has ceased all production and scraped any unfilled orders of the NS400 compound for all vehicles. This wouldn’t typically be a big deal but this has been the best and by far the most popular ultra low dust street compound for the IS-F since it’s release. It’s been a bit frustrating since they will not give any official answer as to why they decided to axe the NS400 but what’s done is done and they’ve made it clear there will be no more going forward.

The only suitable replacement is the Type NS and so we have procured a large batch to start filling backorders and future orders. From our understanding Type NS is exactly the same compound as the NS400 was but it is manufactured and assembled entirely at Project Mu’s main facility in Japan. Whereas the NS400 had the compound made in Japan, shipped in 55 gallon drums to another facility in Thailand where the backing plates were cut and pads were molded, assembled and packaged.

We have airfreighted in a couple sets of the Type NS for the IS-F (as well as the GS F and RC F) to fill some of the more urgent orders but also have a container sent via sea fright with many more sets of pads due to arrive early December.

To kick off this transition to the new Type NS pads we will be offering a special sale price on the first ten sets.

Link to the sale thread in vendor section:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...u-type-ns.html

-Matt M.
The following users liked this post:
jdmSW20 (11-16-17)
Old 11-17-17, 11:00 PM
Pushtape
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
I wanted to make a quick post to clear some things up since it seems that most people are not aware of the changes Project Mu has decided to make in their pad offerings. Without any warning (including to us, one of their largest distributors) Project Mu has ceased all production and scraped any unfilled orders of the NS400 compound for all vehicles. This wouldn’t typically be a big deal but this has been the best and by far the most popular ultra low dust street compound for the IS-F since it’s release. It’s been a bit frustrating since they will not give any official answer as to why they decided to axe the NS400 but what’s done is done and they’ve made it clear there will be no more going forward.

The only suitable replacement is the Type NS and so we have procured a large batch to start filling backorders and future orders. From our understanding Type NS is exactly the same compound as the NS400 was but it is manufactured and assembled entirely at Project Mu’s main facility in Japan. Whereas the NS400 had the compound made in Japan, shipped in 55 gallon drums to another facility in Thailand where the backing plates were cut and pads were molded, assembled and packaged.

We have airfreighted in a couple sets of the Type NS for the IS-F (as well as the GS F and RC F) to fill some of the more urgent orders but also have a container sent via sea fright with many more sets of pads due to arrive early December.

To kick off this transition to the new Type NS pads we will be offering a special sale price on the first ten sets.

-Matt M.
Assume this applies to hc800 as well (once they are moved)?
Old 11-18-17, 09:21 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^It's my understanding the PM HC+800 pads were never manufactured in Thailand, but always manufactured in Japan.

Lou
Old 11-20-17, 02:37 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

HC+800 are safe for the foreseeable future but we will make sure we place an order for our next batch a bit earlier this next time.

-Matt M.
Old 11-20-17, 11:02 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

U carries gtr project mu in stock. ?thanks
Old 11-21-17, 07:08 AM
ssis300
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA

-Matt M.
Thank you Matt, for the update. Out of curiosity, what is the pricing going to be for the Type NS pads? What will the special price be for the first 10 sets? Much appreciated!
Old 11-21-17, 11:43 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ISF4life
U carries gtr project mu in stock. ?thanks
We sure do. I assume you have an R35 but 'll send you a private message to get the details on the car and pad compound you're looking for.

Originally Posted by ssis300
Thank you Matt, for the update. Out of curiosity, what is the pricing going to be for the Type NS pads? What will the special price be for the first 10 sets? Much appreciated!
List price on the Type NS in these pad shapes are $411 and $298 for the front and rear, respectively. It is definitely a jump in price over the old NS400 but then again these are 100% made in Japan now (instead of Thailand) and the compound is arguably the best street pad available for the IS-F, developed specifically for drivers who don't want the dust but aren't willing to sacrifice the friction levels and general performance levels (like many of the less expensive ultra low dust pads) in order to get there. The special price on the first 10 sets will be $109 off (~15% off MSRP) plus free ground shipping within the continental US (or partially subsidized shipping if you live elsewhere) which brings them down closer to where the NS400 were.

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 11-21-17 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-21-17, 10:43 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

What do we need to do to order/be in the first 10? I've about had it with the dusty stock pads.....super frustrating (and the random squealing doesn't help the cause). If these pads will remove the tremendous amount of dust and random squealing and keep the same bite as the stock pads, I'm game.

V.
Old 11-22-17, 07:32 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Seven hundred and nine dollars for brake pads...
To each his own - soon parted.
The following users liked this post:
Leander311 (11-22-17)
Old 11-22-17, 10:21 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vitveet
What do we need to do to order/be in the first 10? I've about had it with the dusty stock pads.....super frustrating (and the random squealing doesn't help the cause). If these pads will remove the tremendous amount of dust and random squealing and keep the same bite as the stock pads, I'm game.

V.
That is exactly what these pads are made to do! Here is the direct link to purchase the pads through our website:
http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-23901649...t-10-sets.html

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
Seven hundred and nine dollars for brake pads...
To each his own - soon parted.
I know there will be a bit of sticker shock with some owners but believe it or not the price of brake pads gets much, much higher depending on the brake calipers you have on your car and the pad compounds you prefer. With that said I acknowledge that for the IS-F specifically they are on the upper end of the price spectrum relative to what else is out there but they are also a premium product from a top tier manufacturer which offers something unique- everything else that emits as little dust as these also comes with lower friction levels and everything else with similar friction levels produces more dust. We found with the NS400 (which these replace) that they struck a sweet spot for the majority of IS-F owners and other luxury performance vehicles like it.

I will also bring up the point that many people don't seem to bat an eye about spending $1,200-1,500 on a set of nice tires that'll wear out in 20k miles or less because they want the performance but without the NVH or drawbacks of some of the more budget minded tires. But then for some reason they don't also see the value in a set of great brake pads will last much longer and play a vital role in not only how your brakes perform, but how they feel. Brake pads that, like those nice grippy and comfortable street tires, keep with the philosophy of the IS-F. After all you paid a premium for an IS-F over an IS 250 or 350 because you do wanted a product with a greater duality or breadth, right? Just sayin'

-Matt M.
Old 11-22-17, 11:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Running Carbotech XP12s in front right now. Dusty, noisy, and super grippy even when cold. They remind me of the HC+800s a lot. I just happened to have three sets of them on the shelf the last time I needed pads. Sucks to be used to them now because they really are just as grippy as the PMs I wore out. Anything less will feel - well - uncivilized...