Default Jalopnik: It's Time To Make A Case For The Lexus IS F

https://jalopnik.com/its-time-to-mak...s-f-1820400740
The following 2 users liked this post by mikersoft:
bbong (11-17-17), BS ISF (11-15-17)
Old 11-14-17, 03:45 PM
knshro13
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Good read for those who are considering an ISF today.
Old 11-14-17, 04:01 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Hey Mike was just reading that article was going to post it up as well but you beat me to the punch lol
Old 11-14-17, 04:14 PM
KraziAzn
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Great read.
Old 11-14-17, 05:02 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Good article!

The comments are funny as so many people still don't know much about our cars and some of the comments prove the lack of knowledge. Someone with Weds and a rear diffuser is on the comment section with pics defending his purchase and setting some people straight about the car. Wonder if it's anyone here on CL.....
The following users liked this post:
LexusfanVA (11-15-17)
Old 11-14-17, 08:27 PM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

I got a huge grin on my face when I saw this article. I'm glad the ISF is getting more exposure as a lot of folks still have no idea it exists.
Old 11-14-17, 10:16 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought my IS F on September 17th, 2008. I still have her today....191,000 miles later.
The following 5 users liked this post by Just F Me:
Brad3275 (11-15-17), BS ISF (11-15-17), imp0rted1 (11-15-17), MileHIFcar (11-14-17), spacexmase (11-15-17)
Old 11-15-17, 01:18 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Honestly, I feel this was THE car that propelled Lexus in the luxury-performance segment. The LFA, RC F and GS F might have more power and prestige, but many on the forums and those who really know the car appreciate it for beyond its robust 2nd gen IS shape. A skunkworks project by engineers really added to the story of the IS F, not to mention the then-criticized 8 speed transmission, the "fake" exhaust tips, and 5.0 naturally aspirated engine. I've seen more and more people wanting an IS F within the last two years, no matter which year, from classifieds and just random inquiries. No coincidence, as the model has been discontinued in that time frame. In the end, there will always be something faster, more potent, and new, but you can't replace a connection with the car, especially one with the character of the IS F. New owners and older ones alike- Lexus really did a great job in forging the pedigree of the F performance by introducing this variant into its lineup.
spacexmase (11-15-17)
Old 11-15-17, 02:52 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Totally agree^^^^

And the fact that a car that was once criticized for being over styled is now bland in comparison to many of the monstrosities out there today, is quite funny as well!
Old 11-15-17, 05:28 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Definitely agree with everyone else's comments I don't know about the RCF and GSF having more Prestige than the ISF yes the LFA definitely falls into that category but the other two I don't think so especially after the disappointing
reviews of both regarding performance. I will give you this the GSF did fare better than the RCF.

Another area I love to point out is how when the ISF first debuted how most of the media criticize what they called at that the time a boy racer look lol fast forward nearly 10 years lo and behold all the things that the ISF was criticized for has now become standard equipment on just about every high performance vehicle out there
1. 8speed trans, they're now up to 10 speeds remember how so many said that has two gears too many
2.The power hood, how many criticize the power Dome the front hood was too big guess what take a look at the latest Renditions of so many sports sedans and sports Coupes in this segment guess what there or all sporting now
3.Front fender vents, no one had them back in 2008 when the car was first released now every car has them from the BMW M3 to the GTR to the Corvette Porsches to Ferraris and the list goes on and on.
4. The infamous fake diffusers once again something that when the car was released for sale in 2008 no one had but look at today who's currently sporting the same designs wow look at The Hit List Ferrari Audi Mercedes BMW etc.

It's my opinion that several of styling cues on ISF have help to keep looking bit more modern than its competitors at the time such as a C63 in the E90 M3 both are still good looking cars but they lack several of the more modern styling cues which helps to date them somewhat.

One more thing I don't get why so many people say that styling on is so understated everytime I pull in to get gas station, I'm at a light or shopping at mall people will make comments front fenders,hood etc. And it definitely helps that I'm FBO they can't get over the sound of the V8 and actually surprised that it has a V8.
Old 11-15-17, 06:01 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

All soon very true^^^! I get compliments EVERY time I take the car out! People can not get over the sound of this Yamaha tuned motor! Overall, just an elegant car inside and out and they age VERY well compared to m3s and c63s.
Honestly, the same for my 02 5sp IS300. It aged soooo well IMO. Still get compliments on a weekly basis and get people begging to buy it weekly. Mainly because it's clean and not a single 5sp IS300 for sale in the country 🙄.
Lexus definitely knows how to make their cars. Here's to wishful thinking for an F in the 3IS body style. I'll keep collecting if so! Love their vehicles 👍

V.
Old 11-15-17, 08:26 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

What is this IS-F you speak of? Mine is just a regular IS 460.
Old 11-15-17, 09:23 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Honestly, I grow tired of articles like this. They always come off unnecessarily defensive of the car as though it needed sympathy due to the multitude "missing the boat" as they always tend to do. We are not the multitude which is why we own ISFs. And if I may be so bold - this dreadfully general Google-facted article was so very obviously written by a loosely-interested chick.

Anyone who denies the F isn't a true player at this point is in euro-denial. I don't need any more articles on our cars that take a "so what if it doesn't have a manual," "so what if the tips are fake" sympathetic style approach.

Perhaps I'm just positively fueled by haters & those that try and make me feel "I'm not good enough." Jalopnik should take a look a the kills on my list & see how much sympathy I need. None.
MileHIFcar (11-15-17)
Old 11-15-17, 01:35 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

I don't have to read articles about the ISF all I do is take mine for a drive and that gives me that stupid grin
Old 11-17-17, 10:39 AM
autoz4me
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The biggest downside for me with the earlier models is the lack of an LSD option and also would have love to have seen them widen the track from the jump like they have with the RC-F and GS-F.A 9.5'-10' rear and a 8.5' - 9.5' front tracks would have made a huge difference to handling.

Outside of the above for its first foray into the performance sedan world I think Lexus did a pretty decent job with this model.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jalopnik: It's Time To Make A Case For The Lexus IS F