IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Ceramic brake pad alternative: Bosch QuietCast

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-17, 03:10 PM
drifto
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Did they replace the big flat spring on top of the pads? I am starting to wonder if this isn't the root cause of a lot of these because we never heard about this in the beginning, but are hearing a lot about it now that the cars are much older, and I know plenty of shops reuse the existing hardware to cut costs.
Hmmmm, that I am not 100% sure. They did charge me extra for some OEM parts needed to do the brake job. How hard is it just to replace that big fat spring ? I assume each caliper has a big fat spring on the top of the pads?
Old 11-16-17, 04:51 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Hi all. I laid this all out in my earlier thread.

Yes, I had the entire oem spring/pin/bolt rebuild kit done to try to fix the problem and it did nothing. Waste of money. The old parts were good as new. I’m more inclined to believe it is a quality control issue with the NS400s backing plates being made in the Phillipines...Probably also why the NS400s were mysteriously discontinued and now only the Japan-made Type NS exist.

Funny thing is that I tried to get the Type NS bc I wanted the made in Japan pads and I was talked out of it after being reassured that the NS400 was equivalent to the Type NS. The world may never know.....

But, I do have a set of Type NS coming to me, so, once I install those, I’ll know for sure if it’s the pads.

Also, the Stoptechs I had on just before these made no clunking noise, but they squealed like pigs. I have to agree that the clunk is better than the squeal!
Old 11-16-17, 09:09 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
Also, the Stoptechs I had on just before these made no clunking noise, but they squealed like pigs. I have to agree that the clunk is better than the squeal!
What compound of Stoptech pads did you use that "squealed like pigs"? Was considering those before I found this thread.
Old 11-17-17, 02:20 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I can’t say for certain since they came on the car, but I believe they were the sport. Not only did they squeal but they were incredibly dusty. They did have good bite, however. Aside from the clunking, the NS400s beat them hands down!
Old 11-17-17, 07:50 AM
speeddem0n
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes i love these pads! I put them on my first 2008 ISF and noticed the brake dust decreased significantly. I also plan to get them for my 2012 when it’s time. And as for the clicking sound, i had that as well and never figured out if it was the brakes or my coilovers. A friend insisted that it was the brakes. But regardless I still recommend these pads.
Old 11-20-17, 03:28 PM
ssis300
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

For those who have experienced the clunking sound, how soon was this apparent? About 500 miles in, and I am still loving the pads and their quietness. As I have mentioned to some, I did replace the spring/clips and pins in the front, and I cleaned them and bent the rears to create a little more tension against the pads.

I might note that one thing I noticed when removing the old rear pads was that the spring/clips were not sitting perfectly in the groove on the pads....if that makes sense (you would have to open it up and be familiar to what you are looking at).....but I bent them a little bit after cleaning, so that there wasn't as much play and the tension to sit snug was much better.

Can't get over the lack of brake dust on these pads!! Two weeks in and there is not any more dust than what I would have accumulated in a couple of days with the stockies! If I might add, I am not at all disappointed with the feel and stopping power of these either. If things continue the way they have, I believe I have found my go-to pads for the F!
Old 11-27-17, 10:10 AM
ssis300
Pole Position

Checking in, as I mentioned I would at 1000 miles, post-install. Thanksgiving allowed for more driving so I will say that there is still zero clunking sound and I am beyond thrilled with the brake dust (or lack thereof). I can go a week and still see the shine on my front wheels. As I mentioned before, under $100 for all 4 corners from a trusted brand like Bosch. About $170ish, if you include the silicone grease and the front pins/spring replacements that I got.....but even those can be found for about 20% less online!

I will report back if there's anything to report!
Old 12-12-17, 02:09 PM
ssis300
Pole Position

I swear I am not a Bosch rep, nor do I receive kickbacks. I'm about 2,000 miles in now and these are quiet, no rattle, and dang near ZERO dust. When I was researching an alternative for the OEM pads, I wanted something functional - which would dust less, be quieter, yet not sacrifice noticeable performance....and also be reasonably priced for my daily driving situation. I can say that I have found those pads in my "$100 for all 4 corners" Bosch pads. I hope this helps someone in the future, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

It's nice rolling through my parking garage at work and enjoying the rumble of the V8, and seeing others look and listen to the beauty.....rather than having others peering over as the brakes were squealing by, like the car was in desperate need of a brake job.

Signing off for now, and prob won't add to this again, unless there is some major development.

Happy holidays to all!!
Old 12-12-17, 07:01 PM
STRAN
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Might have to give these brake pads a try as I have a similar horror story:

Had OEM pads / rotors - squeal
Replaced because the forums mentioned stop tech rotors / pads were a good solution - still squealed
After driving 3k miles on those pads... couldn't deal with that so I replaced to Project MU NS400 based off reviews here on Club Lexus with OEM rotors.. still squealing.

-just recently had the lubed / replaced shim kits... and there no fix. brakes still squeal during low speeds. If anybody has advice on any possible fix.. please send me a PM as like OP, these brakes have been a nightmare for me and I just can't seem to enjoy my ISF because of this. IF anyone else can vouch for these brakes that have driven over 5-8k on these... it might push me to replace my brake pads again after only 1k on my new Project MU NS400 brake pads..

All help would be appreciated!! I've spent hard earned $$$ trying to find a solution to this problem...
Old 12-12-17, 09:21 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^You may want to talk over your squealing issue with http://speedfreaksusa.com. I have not heard of any noise issues with the PM NS400 pads.

Lou
Old 12-12-17, 11:47 PM
STRAN
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll shoot them a message. Thanks Lou.
Old 12-13-17, 09:01 AM
ssis300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by STRAN
I'll shoot them a message. Thanks Lou.
Good luck STRAN. I feel (felt) your pain.As much as I enjoyed driving the F, I loathed driving at slow speeds....in my parking garage at the office, or even pulling into my driveway and garage at home. Neighbors would look over as I squealed to a stop. Embarrassing, to say the least! Couldn't be happier now.
Old 12-13-17, 10:23 AM
Jondls33
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by STRAN
Might have to give these brake pads a try as I have a similar horror story:

Had OEM pads / rotors - squeal
Replaced because the forums mentioned stop tech rotors / pads were a good solution - still squealed
After driving 3k miles on those pads... couldn't deal with that so I replaced to Project MU NS400 based off reviews here on Club Lexus with OEM rotors.. still squealing.

-just recently had the lubed / replaced shim kits... and there no fix. brakes still squeal during low speeds. If anybody has advice on any possible fix.. please send me a PM as like OP, these brakes have been a nightmare for me and I just can't seem to enjoy my ISF because of this. IF anyone else can vouch for these brakes that have driven over 5-8k on these... it might push me to replace my brake pads again after only 1k on my new Project MU NS400 brake pads..

All help would be appreciated!! I've spent hard earned $$$ trying to find a solution to this problem...
if you ever want to sell of those project Mu pads let me know and ill take them off your hands
Old 12-13-17, 12:30 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ssis300
I swear I am not a Bosch rep, nor do I receive kickbacks. I'm about 2,000 miles in now and these are quiet, no rattle, and dang near ZERO dust. When I was researching an alternative for the OEM pads, I wanted something functional - which would dust less, be quieter, yet not sacrifice noticeable performance....and also be reasonably priced for my daily driving situation. I can say that I have found those pads in my "$100 for all 4 corners" Bosch pads. I hope this helps someone in the future, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

It's nice rolling through my parking garage at work and enjoying the rumble of the V8, and seeing others look and listen to the beauty.....rather than having others peering over as the brakes were squealing by, like the car was in desperate need of a brake job.

Signing off for now, and prob won't add to this again, unless there is some major development.

Happy holidays to all!!
Care to share where you put grease on the pad/shim?
Old 12-14-17, 01:27 PM
ssis300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by WillAP1
Care to share where you put grease on the pad/shim?
Absolutely. When I installed my stock, and then Textar Pads before, I caked the grease on the back of each pad......but was also using a different kind (I used to use the CRC Disc Brake Quiet goo that you can buy at Auto Zone and Pep Boys), but for this, I switched to the Silaramic hi-temp silicone, ceramic-fortified brake system grease (in the white/black/blue tube) and applied a thin layer (maybe 1mm) on the back where the pads meet the pistons. I also used new hardware (pins and springs) on the front, and THOROUGHLY cleaned the pins and springs on the back (and bent the springs a hair so that there would be a little greater tension to keep the pads in place......possibly why I am not experiencing that clunking sound that some owners are experiencing.........

Quick Reply: Ceramic brake pad alternative: Bosch QuietCast