IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Rear tyre just died....RIP

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-17, 03:23 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Rear tyre just died....RIP

Well i had an exciting morning on the motorway this morning about 5:30am. Drivers rear gave way, bit sideways then thump thump thump.

Nursed her over to the breakdown emergency bay and saw the damage :-(

Was planning to get new tyres soon, well that will have to be today now lol

Ps Have done about 20000kms out of them, more than what i expected months ago

Somwhow the rim looks good, no damage and towie had a good look for me and suspects its ok as well. The inner part gave way but it was still riding on the tyre (kind of). Suspect screw/bolt stuck in it caused pressure to be low enough to cause the pressure on the inner wall???

Anyway new 285/30 on order vs my OEM size of 255/35 and getting fitted this afternoon. Been advised by a few no scrubbing so fingers crossed they'll fit nice on my 9.5 wide rim, sure they will :-)

Old 10-04-17, 04:15 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Did you have TPMS warning just B4 destruction of tire?
Old 10-04-17, 04:24 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Htony
Did you have TPMS warning just B4 destruction of tire?
Dont believe i have them fitted / sensors as i got aftermarket rims. Dont recall any dash warnings just boom, better pull over lol
Old 10-04-17, 06:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

If he'd had the sensors, it wouldn't have failed this way.
Old 10-04-17, 06:43 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yeah ill have to look into these sensors. Had aftermarket rims, low profile tyres for decades now on various cars but never encountered tyre damage like this so it caught me by surprised. I get the usual nail etc but check my tyres often and fill up/fix if required.
Old 10-04-17, 10:57 PM
808newbie
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

damn bro, thats a rough morning. it could have been worse but glad your okay!

nice wheels btw and glad no damage to them!!
Old 10-05-17, 06:14 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

I had a similar failure and I have sensors. No TPMS light was on at the time. Tire was a stock PS2 on stock 2012 rim. Luckily for me also the rim was not damaged at all. I am guessing the tire carcass saved the rim.
Old 10-05-17, 06:37 AM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few years back, I saw something (looked like a metal rod) in the air coming toward my car. It hit my front bumper and then the front passenger side tire. I looked down at the dash immediately and the TPMS was on. Pulled over within a few seconds. So it worked for me. Gave me a few extra seconds of warning but that was helpful. Got over to the shoulder before the tire was shredded and didn't damage the rim.
Old 10-05-17, 11:28 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by newgsman
I had a similar failure and I have sensors. No TPMS light was on at the time. Tire was a stock PS2 on stock 2012 rim. Luckily for me also the rim was not damaged at all. I am guessing the tire carcass saved the rim.
Shredding the sidewall takes a while. It isn't an instantaneous failure unless you hit something incredibly sharp. The vast majority of the time this kind of failure is because it's difficult to evaluate tire pressure visually with low profile tires, and you drive on them at 50% of normal pressure for 5 or 10 miles, then the rubber totally overheats and the sidewall separates. Before TPMS was required, it was pretty common because you would hit a nail and slowly lose pressure but it wouldn't be obvious until the tire failed.

I check my pressures monthly, but I also trust my TPMS is working correctly. It is always possible the system has failed - the battery dies in a sensor, one of the antennas gets damaged, etc., so it's always a good idea to check manually. Unless you have an RC F or GS F, then you can see each tire's pressure on the instrument panel and can see when any tire is lower than it should be right away. I wish that capability had been included in the IS F.
Old 10-05-17, 12:39 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Lobuxracer, i agree with low profiles being hard to visually check. I mean i do it every few days but it can look ok but be low. I dont have sensors and dont manually check the pressure with my gauge often enough which ill start doing until i get sensors.

Anyway like newgsman, the remaining tyre saved the rim, i was able to pull over within 15 seconds or so of it happening as it was instantly noticeable (rear end went fishy/sideways a bit).

Yesterday afternoon got 285/30 fitted vs 255/35 that i was running. Now just need to shave the guards as its rubbing then its all good :-)
Old 10-05-17, 02:21 PM
revolut1on
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Australian spec ISF's don't have TPMS.
The following users liked this post:
ISF5L (10-05-17)
Old 10-05-17, 03:27 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Originally Posted by revolut1on
Australian spec ISF's don't have TPMS.
Good to know. I thought the later model ones in Oz do and i just missed out as mine is a earlier model. Seen some wireless ones online for about $80AU with relevant warning, visual detectors so might get one of those. Better than what i got now which is nothing lol
Old 10-05-17, 07:14 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Why didn't you use the space saver, that could have been very nasty, glad your ok.
Old 10-05-17, 07:25 PM
Pushtape
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you have an RC F or GS F, then you can see each tire's pressure on the instrument panel and can see when any tire is lower than it should be right away. I wish that capability had been included in the IS F.
This is the one feature that makes no sense to me to be missing on the ISF. My 06 TL has it. I've tried to figure out if it can be read from the ECU somehow but no luck (I'm not that lazy but temp drops affect my tires a lot, Id like to easily monitor). I don't know how tpms work mechanically but I can't imagine it is a on/off switch and the actual current pressure could be read somehow.....
Old 10-05-17, 08:49 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Originally Posted by isfvss
Why didn't you use the space saver, that could have been very nasty, glad your ok.
It was pitch black 5:30am and cars flying past on the M5 even though i was in a breakdown bay. I had access to a free tow so got it towed home and changed to the space saver there. Later i drove it to get 2 new rears.
Only just got the car back about 30mins ago from having the rear guards shaved as it was scrubbing. All is good now.
Yeah still amazed how bad the tyre turned out and it was literally 15seconds of slow driving as soon as it popped. Car drove great up until the moment the tyre gave in

Quick Reply: Rear tyre just died....RIP