IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Should I sell

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-17, 07:48 AM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Should I sell

Well I thrown for a curve ball 2 Days ago one of my really good friends came over to my house and asked me if I would sell him My F. He started by saying didn't you buy your car for 25K to years ago I replied with yeah, then he reminded me how ****ty my melting door panels were LOL. He offered me 26K Now it has me thinking I have 2 kids and really my car is just a weekend car since my commute is 90 miles a day that is until I can get a GSF for around 40K. I know you guys get the same questions about selling your cars, They are suck wolfs in sheeps clothing I just don't know what I can replace my car with until I can afford my new dream of GSF just for the backseat room really.
For a little background I have a 2008 MMS ISF with 72,000 w/exhaust only.
Old 10-03-17, 08:53 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

If it's just your weekend car then get rid of it and save up for a real weekend car. For the money you are paying in insurance you can use that money to save up for what you really want. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-03-17, 10:14 AM
socal3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Diesel350
If it's just your weekend car then get rid of it and save up for a real weekend car. For the money you are paying in insurance you can use that money to save up for what you really want. Just my 2 cents.
That's kind of what's going through my mind. Its hard to DD 90 miles a day in this car I hate that we have horrible winds and scorching summers with no parking garage shade.
Old 10-03-17, 11:02 AM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

What car would you buy in place of your ISF until you find a $40K GSF(which I think may take a while)? I've seen a lot of posts of folks coming back to the ISF so you may regret selling it soon after. If you're trying to save money I can't think of many cars that tick the same boxes as the ISF for under $26K(I should cut this number in half if you're actually trying to save money) so you'll end up with something much older, less fun, less reliable or just soul sucking. Just ask yourself this, when 'Rocket Man' hits the button and we get nuked into oblivion do you wanna be in the driver's seat of a Prius or an ISF? Keep the car, if you're not stacking on the miles then it's not going to depreciate much more!
Old 10-03-17, 12:00 PM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If I had a weekend car then I could care less about practicality and get a C6 Z06 or Dodge Viper. Seriously, I only bought an IS-F since I wanted V8 power and reliability without compromise of practicality. And the best thing about those two car up top, they will not depreciate either. I've rarely seen either for under $30k. Hell, the viper is going up in value every year.
The following users liked this post:
socal3 (10-03-17)
Old 10-03-17, 12:20 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Unless it's a 2013+ Viper, or ACR, you'll quickly find that it's really not much of a performance upgrade over the ISF at all....
​​​​And the '13+ are $80k+ still, unless you want one with a ton of miles on it and ready to play maintenance man games.
Hard to beat the ISF value wise. But life is short, if you wanna sell it, sell it. You would have gotten more than you paid for it and have gotten 2 years of use out of it...not many of us can say that.
But, like mentioned above, you'll find that $26k won't take you very far when trying to find a better car all around than the ISF.

V.
Old 10-03-17, 02:49 PM
socal3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AndrewISF
What car would you buy in place of your ISF until you find a $40K GSF(which I think may take a while)? I've seen a lot of posts of folks coming back to the ISF so you may regret selling it soon after. If you're trying to save money I can't think of many cars that tick the same boxes as the ISF for under $26K(I should cut this number in half if you're actually trying to save money) so you'll end up with something much older, less fun, less reliable or just soul sucking. Just ask yourself this, when 'Rocket Man' hits the button and we get nuked into oblivion do you wanna be in the driver's seat of a Prius or an ISF? Keep the car, if you're not stacking on the miles then it's not going to depreciate much more!
Best reply ever LOL. Might just have to keep it after this reply.
Old 10-04-17, 08:40 AM
jdmran
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice problem to have- someone offers you more than what you paid for your car after 2 years of driving it!

My opinion:
1. Do NOT sell for 26K. Your car is worth more than that (assuming no issues and Clean Title/Carfax). There are very few on the market in SoCal, and none that cheap. So if you MUST sell, do so for much more

2. Depending on your taste in cars, there really isn't another viable option in the price range that will make you not regret selling. Personally, the only reason I would sell is if it was to upgrade. Since you have your eyes on a GSF, why not sit on the ISF til GSF prices drop to your desired range and then sell the ISF? I can't imagine THAT much depreciation between now and then, at least not enough to warrant not having the ISF in the meantime.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Old 10-04-17, 09:09 AM
Drizell
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cool

I would say keep the Car. Look how Interested your friend is in. He see's something in it your not seeing. Unless he pays you alittle more than suggested, then give it up. Keep the weekend car if ya can.
Old 10-05-17, 09:04 AM
socal3
Intermediate

I agree with you guys been looking around and these old cars are worth a little bit of money LOL. I guess I'll just wait till the GSF goes down a little before I think of selling. I also just can't imagine getting rid of the car before I try her out with a header and tune.
Old 10-05-17, 01:24 PM
qqmoarqq
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can for sure sell for 33k+

I got my 08, 70k for 35k out the door. I saw the online ad friday night when it was posted. Went Saturday morning, first customer.

When i came back from a 10min test drive, there were 4 people waiting to buy the car if I didnt.
Old 10-05-17, 02:27 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

^^^ I guess it depends on what each individual wants to pay. My 08 had 45K miles for about $31K OTD.

Last edited by mahcah; 10-05-17 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-05-17, 02:50 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Supply and demand^^^sounds like the ones going up for sale in Cali go for more money and doesn't seem like dealerships are having a hard time selling them apparently
Old 10-05-17, 03:12 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

That's the case with most states that sell RWD performance cars vs states where it snows and such. Cali, Arizona, Texas, Florida, ect they sell rather quickly compared to where they sit around here for months due to bad weather where they willing to budge on price due to them sitting for extended amounts of time.
Old 10-05-17, 11:50 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

As others have stated, try imagining your life without the IS F. What car would you get that still has the functionality, dependability, and performance in the price range you'll be selling the car for? I know it's an idea that comes up in every owner's train of thought at least once, especially since you'll at the very least be making more than what you paid for it given the asking price your friend offered. But unless you're certain you won't come back to another IS F and are waiting for when the GS F prices are to the price point you're comfortable with, there isn't much to sway you to sell the car. I've seen F owners go to other platforms only to come back and get a similar year F later on, which ends up costing them more money as a result. But it is flattering to know that someone wants to purchase your F on the spot like that.

Quick Reply: Should I sell