IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

DFW ISF Owners: Request to Meet

Old 10-02-17, 06:59 PM
Fadeaway
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DFW ISF Owners: Request to Meet

I live in the Dallas area and purchased a black 2011 ISF in December of 2016. I admit that I am still in love with the car nearly a year later. If there's one small quip that I have, it's that the exhaust note is a little muted during regular driving (in other words, when I'm not going over 4000 rpm). I've noticed that from the factory, cars like the E90 M3 and W204 C63 put out a good bit of noise, even at lower RPMs.

Because of this, I started looking at CL threads in regards to modifying the exhaust. The exhaust that's universally lauded on this board seems to be the Joe Z PTS setup, but looking at a couple of threads (especially one started by DJN3 here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...drone-wow.html) they talk about how the exhaust drones noticeably when you're driving on the highway. Some folks say that there's no drone, others say that there's a noticeable drone...for those that do acknowledge the drone, they do say that any aftermarket exhaust will have this problem unless you have a 2-stage setup where you can open/close valves with the press of a button (downside to 2-stage: $$$$).

This has given me some hesitation in regards to shelling out the money for the PTS exhaust because I'm pretty sensitive to noise. I used to drive my girlfriend insane when I'd hear some rattles/creaks in the dash when I first bought the ISF..."I don't hear anything!" she'd say, but it was definitely there haha.

So why am I writing all of this/TLDR: I was wondering if any ISF owners in the Dallas area that have the Joe Z PTS exhaust installed would be willing to meet-up in person so that I can get a better feel for what the car sounds like while cruising. I'd be more than happy to buy you a coffee, beer, or reasonably priced dinner (meaning no Pappas Bros or Al Biernat's ) for sacrificing your time to meet me. Our Dallas area Cars & Coffee is happening this Saturday too, so if that's a more ideal place to meet, also down to meet there.

Thanks!

note: Apologies in advance if I posted this in the wrong place or if I violated a forum rule with this request.
Old 10-02-17, 07:16 PM
dris250
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the joe z exhaust mine, no drone
Im in houston btw
Old 10-02-17, 08:21 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Drone is subjective. You have to hear it in person yourself and test in "everyday" driving conditions.

From Houston as well. Borla/RR Magnaflow exhaust. Some drone in city driving imo.
Old 10-02-17, 08:53 PM
Onionboyz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, I also hate rattles and creaks in any of my cars but the droning of the exhaust is bearable. To give some context, i'm like you, researching everything before a purchase and even then you are still hesitant on fully buying whatever it may be. The Joe Z exhaust is very doable if you enjoy the hum of the engine on the highway; it's like background sound but at the same time you barely notice it's there once you're used to it. I can carry a conversation on the freeway with passengers and still make phone calls just fine. Now I'm not saying it's 100% drone-free but the noise is comparable to something like a sports bike idling outside your house with all the windows closed. After a while you just get used to it and it's whatever. Worst case scenario, if it's too loud while i'm driving 2 rear passengers, i just downshift to 7th gear for the highway ride and problem's fixed. Good luck with your test drive, hope this helps!
The following users liked this post:
Fadeaway (10-02-17)
Old 10-02-17, 09:05 PM
FMYLIFE
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Dallas and I have a Joe Z exhaust if you'd like to meet up. I may make it to Cars and Coffee depending on the weather.
Old 10-02-17, 09:14 PM
Fadeaway
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all for the advice, I appreciate everyone's input.

@Onionboyz -- thanks for the detailed explanation, I do have to make conference calls on a weekly basis while on the way to work and it's good to know you can carryout a conversation without a great deal of background noise.
Old 10-02-17, 11:34 PM
Jerry_Supra
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in DFW and was considering the Cars and Coffee but I wouldn't be any help, my car sounds like a NASCAR.
Old 10-03-17, 04:11 PM
KraziAzn
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

HKS SSM seems like one of the few exhaust that produce zero drone because of the helmholtz resonator.
Old 10-04-17, 07:26 PM
quarius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to the DFW area and have JoeZ and PPE. Drone isn't bad at all (from my perspective at least), BTW, when/where is the C&C at?
Old 10-04-17, 07:45 PM
Fadeaway
Driver School Candidate

Quarius -- it's at Classic BMW in Plano. Tried to post the Facebook link but it's not working.
Old 10-06-17, 09:55 PM
quarius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So are we all going to C&C in the morning? I’ll be there!