IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus isf to camaro zl1....a farewell

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-17, 10:48 AM
samjones
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice upgrade, I'm digging it. Keep us posted and do a comparison when you get a chance. Also, did you consider the Audi TTRS at all?
Old 10-04-17, 11:24 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Cars come and go, and for one to be blessed with an opportunity to taste a different platform, that's pretty darn cool. Regardless of all the comments, particularly some of the more comically negative ones, we all should be fortunate to drive a car that we love. From "F the Track", the brutally honest insights from the vlogs, and the expansion of knowledge about the F performance line- that's something that adds to the heritage of the brand. Wishing you well on this new opportunity, Tammer!
The following users liked this post:
tas02 (10-13-17)
Old 10-12-17, 04:31 PM
Jondls33
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Just thought I'd share.. I guess the ISF didn't tickle his pickle as much as the camaro ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by Jondls33; 10-12-17 at 04:33 PM. Reason: ...
Old 10-12-17, 04:59 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

^^^^I MUST stay still

Lou
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-17, 06:15 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I won’t hold my tongue. Most American cars are absolute trash one trick ponies.

They have been able to focus certain models 100% on track performance, which is great, they suck at just about everything else.
The following 3 users liked this post by FFM:
chrisp1 (10-13-17), finny76 (11-25-17), ForzaF (10-19-17)
Old 10-12-17, 06:17 PM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jondls33

Just thought I'd share.. I guess the ISF didn't tickle his pickle as much as the camaro ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Maybe "I8ABODYBYFISHER" (older folks will get this joke) should also be "mad" at everyone and not just Lexus. It isn't just Lexus that fell short of ZL1 performance levels, there isn't a single production car from any manufacturer with the exception of the upcoming (new/revised) GT500/Cobra Mustang that will touch it for the same or slightly more money. Most cars rivaling the ZL1 performance will be six-digit $$ cars and guess what, Lexus won't "chase" that car either. We get it, the ZL1 is amazing... for some. It doesn't mean Lexus failed. It means anyone thinking the ISF was a serious track car made the initial mistake by thinking the ISF was something it never was intended to be. However, only people like Rafi at RR Racing did something about it rather than spout off the minute something "better" came along. I don't understand being content to ride around in an essentially stock luxury grand-tourer with a sharpened edge and complain rather than modify/upgrade. Switching brands is hardly an indicator of brand loyalty, in fact it is just the opposite. It is like telling your wife you were faithful for the first 20yrs until your secretary started coming on to you. You either love your wife or you don't. Furthermore, I am confident that the RR Racing ISF or RCF would likely match or beat the lap times seen in the Camaro. Many on this forum would probably pay to see it I imagine.

Please understand that most here don't want a two door, vision limited, brutally harsh riding, cheap materials/fit/finish, recall waiting to happen, reliability money pit Camaro. We are content to go to the airport and rent a Corvette for a couple of days to get the slumming out of our system rather than park a one trick pony like that in our driveway. To each their own. I love my Lexus but will concede that they are a 1/2 a step behind the competition. It is obvious that the improved tech and TTV8 offerings from the Germans is a compelling offer at the same price point of anything Lexus offers, but they will never have the quality and reliability of a Lexus (thanks W.E. Demming). For that and all of the other Lexus intangibles, I am willing to wait for the next half-step.

Last edited by Helo58; 10-12-17 at 07:53 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Helo58:
5ltrv8 (10-12-17), AndrewISF (10-12-17), chrisp1 (10-13-17), finny76 (11-25-17), lobuxracer (10-14-17), mikersoft (10-12-17), MileHIFcar (10-12-17) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-13-17, 01:15 AM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
I won’t hold my tongue. Most American cars are absolute trash one trick ponies.

They have been able to focus certain models 100% on track performance, which is great, they suck at just about everything else.
Couldn’t agree more. 👍
Old 10-13-17, 03:34 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

^^^^Sadly, even if your statement is correct, American cars are 1000x better than what they used to be!
Old 10-13-17, 05:34 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Helo58
Maybe "I8ABODYBYFISHER" (older folks will get this joke) should also be "mad" at everyone and not just Lexus. It isn't just Lexus that fell short of ZL1 performance levels, there isn't a single production car from any manufacturer with the exception of the upcoming (new/revised) GT500/Cobra Mustang that will touch it for the same or slightly more money. Most cars rivaling the ZL1 performance will be six-digit $$ cars and guess what, Lexus won't "chase" that car either. We get it, the ZL1 is amazing... for some. It doesn't mean Lexus failed. It means anyone thinking the ISF was a serious track car made the initial mistake by thinking the ISF was something it never was intended to be. However, only people like Rafi at RR Racing did something about it rather than spout off the minute something "better" came along. I don't understand being content to ride around in an essentially stock luxury grand-tourer with a sharpened edge and complain rather than modify/upgrade. Switching brands is hardly an indicator of brand loyalty, in fact it is just the opposite. It is like telling your wife you were faithful for the first 20yrs until your secretary started coming on to you. You either love your wife or you don't. Furthermore, I am confident that the RR Racing ISF or RCF would likely match or beat the lap times seen in the Camaro. Many on this forum would probably pay to see it I imagine.

Please understand that most here don't want a two door, vision limited, brutally harsh riding, cheap materials/fit/finish, recall waiting to happen, reliability money pit Camaro. We are content to go to the airport and rent a Corvette for a couple of days to get the slumming out of our system rather than park a one trick pony like that in our driveway. To each their own. I love my Lexus but will concede that they are a 1/2 a step behind the competition. It is obvious that the improved tech and TTV8 offerings from the Germans is a compelling offer at the same price point of anything Lexus offers, but they will never have the quality and reliability of a Lexus (thanks W.E. Demming). For that and all of the other Lexus intangibles, I am willing to wait for the next half-step.
Very well said. Lots of one trick ponies out there.
Old 10-13-17, 06:23 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Helo58
Well said, and I'd also like to add that it can be very peculiar what the internet car community can do to people. It'll push certain people to purchase upgrades they'll never truly take advantage of, push people to constantly compare apples to oranges, and indoctrinate people into the numbers game (track times, dyno scores, etc.). People get obsessed and feel like they need to empty their bank accounts to keep up or fit in. There is so much money spent due to the pressure people allow on themselves from these degrees of separation. I love my ISF and I'm still faster than 95% of the cars I encounter on the road - that's really the only number I enjoy keeping in my head - and I still admire it every single time I walk to it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Quadrphnia:
Helo58 (10-13-17), MileHIFcar (10-13-17), tas02 (10-13-17)
Old 10-13-17, 07:03 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow a lot of folks caught up in their feelings here. Lexus/Toyota reliability from factory is great but we all know power/speed isn't part of that. OP wanted more so he went elsewhere it is what it is.
Old 10-13-17, 08:42 AM
kings222
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While everyone is stoked on their reliability...i felt like i got an egg. Bought mine used at 52k 2010 3 years ago. 5k after i bought it the Cat went bad....had a crack in the exhaust manifold...cars at Lexus again bc this is my 2nd bad MAF and MAF meter...Whenever i dim my lights the navi and gauge cluster flicker constantly...no joke...its been to Lexus over 10-12 times in 30k miles.
Old 10-13-17, 08:50 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by kings222
While everyone is stoked on their reliability...i felt like i got an egg. Bought mine used at 52k 2010 3 years ago. 5k after i bought it the Cat went bad....had a crack in the exhaust manifold...cars at Lexus again bc this is my 2nd bad MAF and MAF meter...Whenever i dim my lights the navi and gauge cluster flicker constantly...no joke...its been to Lexus over 10-12 times in 30k miles.
Hmm key word here is USED. No telling what kind of shenanigans the previous owners or owner did to that car.
Old 10-13-17, 09:43 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Hmm key word here is USED. No telling what kind of shenanigans the previous owners or owner did to that car.
Yep....and the car is over 8 years old....car isn't gunna be 100% problem free. And relatively speaking, those are fairly small issues.

V.
Old 10-13-17, 09:56 AM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

So many people rag on Lexus performance cars.... But what we are also buying is Prestige. Who cares if my GS-F isn't the fastest car on the road or doesn't put up track numbers like a ZL1. People laugh at Chevy's, Fords and other american brands. BMW's are nice ill admit and the M5 is a beast but cmon those interiors are no comparison to Lexus. When people see my driving a Lexus they respect me more. If i were driving a Chevy they wouldn't bat an eye. Im definitely a Lexus fanboy but thats only because i know about quality product.

just my 2 cents.
The following users liked this post:
finny76 (11-25-17)

Quick Reply: Lexus isf to camaro zl1....a farewell