IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What do ISF owners think of RCF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-17, 10:31 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default What do ISF owners think of RCF?

Just curious.....Now that RCF prices are pretty low ($45k seems to be a decent deal these days). I've watched lots of reviews etc, read RCF owners feedbacks. Many professional reviews are quite negative and all RCF owners swear that its much better then ISF in every single way. (previous ISF owners that is)
Old 09-09-17, 12:09 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Cool different looking car with new upgraded technology that is not that much faster than the IS-F, due to it being heavier.

My personal opinion is that it is a good car, but Lexus dropped the ball on making it a true sports car.
The following users liked this post:
RJMacReady (04-07-24)
Old 09-09-17, 12:31 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Having experience the RCF makes me appreciate my ISF even more.
RJMacReady (08-04-23)
Old 09-09-17, 12:36 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Originally Posted by mahcah
Having experience the RCF makes me appreciate my ISF even more.
Why? Every RCF owner says it's faster (barely), handles better, and just a better car in general.
Old 09-09-17, 12:37 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I think the dated interior of the ISF is the only negative compared to the RCF. Otherwise the exterior of the RCF is like Jekyll and Hyde to me. Some angles look good, and others it's just a hideous mess. Overall it doesn't really impress me in the slightest. If I want a coupe, I am leaning 100% towards a M car. Sadly the GSF is probably a better comparo, and it's a giant boat of a car as well. And at that rate I am leaning towards a F10 M5 haha.
Old 09-09-17, 03:04 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a cool car but I wouldn't buy one unless the price was in the 30's. It gets out performed by everything these days and for 45k you can get a nicely spec'd 1LE or even a used M or AMG car with a warranty
Old 09-09-17, 03:12 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2010ISF
It's a cool car but I wouldn't buy one unless the price was in the 30's. It gets out performed by everything these days and for 45k you can get a nicely spec'd 1LE or even a used M or AMG car with a warranty
$30s for RCF......but at the same time you got people paying upper $30s and low $40s for ISF.....and some dealers trying to push 13-14s for $45+
Old 09-09-17, 03:24 PM
OURISF
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I have owned both cars. Owned a 2009 ISF (see my build thread in sig). Loved that car...got rid of it to own a 911 TT. Cannot lie that I missed my ISF bad for years. It was a bad *** car...period.

So now I recently purchased a 2015 RCF coming off a 2 year lease with only 10k miles. Car was basically brand new. Have not had it that long but I think the RCF is a little bit more of a refined car as compared to my ISF. And the technology in the RCF is fun and cool. Not sure it is any faster than my ISF but I love that it is a couple and it pulls pretty strong.

As I read through some earlier post you are correct that for less money you get a lot more HP...but more refined? I don't think so. See I have been on a search for a while and was seriously looking at a Hellcat, M4, etc...various models. To me this RCF is more diverse and more of what I was looking for. You get iconic looks (whether you like them or not), serious reliability that you won't get long term in those other cars and when I am not driving it for performance I am driving a Lexus. IMHO
Old 09-09-17, 04:42 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Personally, I really like that Lexus added a 2 door F model to its lineup. Taking cues from the LFA really helps add to the sport performance vision the brand is progressing towards. The TVD and driving dynamics make it a fun car to drive. At the Performance Driving Experience Lexus offered a few months ago, non owners were raving about the RC F's sleek looks as well as the refinement that it offers owners with how sport-oriented yet still luxurious the car was within the cabin. It's a great addition to the lineup and I'm hoping Lexus does more with the F performance lineup in years to come.

I'm sure there will be die hard enthusiasts who will claim their car, whether IS F or RC F, or even GS F for that matter, is the better car. Pose the same question on the RC F forums, and I'm almost certain it'll be pro RC F, while the comments here, I have no doubt the IS F guys will claim it's the better car. As an IS F owner, I really like how raw the car behaves and more importantly what I needed to do to attain mine. At the same time, I appreciate the details Lexus worked on in making the next F model more refined. But as I've seen in previous threads where RC F owners claim theirs is better simply because it has two doors, well, the argument becomes more about aesthetics and personal preference. That's fine, but I will admit there are a lot of owners who get a bit butt hurt when they need to justify something as menial as 2 vs 4 door performance vehicles. That trivial statement is just as dumb as Cars and Coffee allowing only 2 door vehicles into the main show area, while 4 doors can park elsewhere. Excluding numerous great cars like the IS F/ GS F would only add fuel to the fire for a debate like that.

All I care about is that Lexus is progressing and staying competitive with the likes of M and AMG, and that's something I can really appreciate with the brand. VIR's official lap times have the IS F slightly faster than the RC F, despite it being a few years newer than the IS F model. I have always wanted to see an IS F, RC F, and GS F all hit the track and see who comes out on top. I can care less about ego or bravado, but it's always intrigued me...IS F is the lightest of all of them with LSD, but RC F and GS F have TVD and revised suspensions for their respective platforms. While VIR's times have some variables, it gives credibility to which is faster.
amsterkiwi (11-25-23)
Old 09-09-17, 05:09 PM
kolyan
Advanced

^ I think RCF also has much stiffer chassis then ISF

I personally agree with many pro reviews that say RCF is good because it's not BMW and it's different for a change. After having 3 BMWs, change is what I am looking for. Although I wish Lexus made folding rear seats, its huge negative for me.... considering my wifes IS350 don't fold either. And that weight.....how did Lexus manage to screw up that bad on a 2 door car.

The question is, at near identical prices (in some cases) or even if RCF is $5k more, does it even make sense to look at older ISFs? I agree that RCF has somewhat questionable looks, but so does ISF, and interior without any doubts is better in RCF.
Old 09-09-17, 05:37 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

The ISF feels special, for whatever reason. The RCF just doesn't get my blood boiling...it's just another "nice car."
Old 09-09-17, 07:29 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Originally Posted by JDMV8
The ISF feels special, for whatever reason. The RCF just doesn't get my blood boiling...it's just another "nice car."
I know what you're saying. My S2000 felt special every day for 5 years that I had it. But I wish Honda updated it, made more modern etc., I ended up selling the car for that reason.

​​​​
Old 09-09-17, 09:25 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

I like everything about the RCF & GSF as far as interior refinements and the upgrades to the 2UR-GSE to gain the power it did

But it sucks that they made the platforms so damn heavy! Can you imagine if the RCF tipped the scales at 3,500 lbs and the GSF at 3,600 lbs max?! They would've been instant hits and their performance numbers would be more appealing to those that look for that in a sports sedan/car for the $$ spent.....
RJMacReady (04-07-24)
Old 09-09-17, 09:30 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
I like everything about the RCF & GSF as far as interior refinements and the upgrades to the 2UR-GSE to gain the power it did

But it sucks that they made the platforms so damn heavy! Can you imagine if the RCF tipped the scales at 3,500 lbs and the GSF at 3,600 lbs max?! They would've been instant hits and their performance numbers would be more appealing to those that look for that in a sports sedan/car for the $$ spent.....
^^^Yup...the ISF was too heavy to begin with and the RCF was way too heavy. I've dropped a little weight off my ISF and it is still too heavy.
Old 09-09-17, 09:31 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

If a $50k -$60k coupe would work for my my needs, I would get an RCF because it's a Lexus and the reliability, instead I need a sedan, so therefor I have a 2012 ISF that I bought for $40k last year and modded it. If I was seriously considering a performance coupe, I would get a GTR.

What is is it exactly you're looking for? Reliability? Resale value? I don't get why you're asking for advice when most of your post seem to be on the negative tone in regards to F car prices.

Quick Reply: What do ISF owners think of RCF?