IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Has anyone thought of E9X M3 before getting the F? Or any previous owners of the M?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-17, 04:08 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Guy, please be aware if who you take advice from. The above post 100% confirms that. Someone giving "advice" on vehicles they've NEVER owned.... impossible to give ownership advice (proper at least) without ever owning the vehicles. (And we've yet to figure out why he is still in the ISF forum giving advice for or against the F when he clearly has stated he never has had, and never will buy an ISF.)
And no need to get offense and calling names bro....I asked you a legit question 🙂. Looking guilty over there😊.

V.
The following users liked this post:
ImportISF (10-23-17)
Old 10-22-17, 04:11 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Guy, please be aware if who you take advice from. The above post 100% confirms that. Someone giving "advice" on vehicles they've NEVER owned.... impossible to give ownership advice (proper at least) without ever owning the vehicles. (And we've yet to figure out why he is still in the ISF forum giving advice for or against the F when he clearly has stated he never has had, and never will buy an ISF.)
And no need to get offense and calling names bro....I asked you a legit question 🙂. Looking guilty over there😊.

V.
Thanks for the warning! Great job today! Now let's keep it on topic

Last edited by kolyan; 10-22-17 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-22-17, 04:35 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Originally Posted by kolyan
Thanks for the warning! Great job today! Now let's keep it on topic
No prob 👍😎!

V.
Old 10-22-17, 06:37 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Which M3 and/or ISF have you owned? What about your ownership of each/either made you come to that conclusion?

V.

V.
I Agree with you 100% Vitveet.!!!! I Definitely get it, all are welcome to contribute something pertinent to the discussion but therein lies the issue.
Old 10-23-17, 02:43 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah I have to agree with Viveet its hard to take advice from someone who hasn't had one or both cars in the discussion. Even worse if someone has had neither lol
Old 10-23-17, 04:04 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Wouldn't it make sense that if someone who doesn't have both therefore has unbiased opinion? And completely the opposite if you are the owner of one or another? Without even looking I can almost guarantee that most if not all will recommend to purchase M3 in BMW forums and you will also read quite a lot of hate towards ISF....

Last edited by kolyan; 10-23-17 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-23-17, 04:41 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Wouldn't it make sense that if someone who doesn't have both therefore has unbiased opinion? And completely the opposite if you are the owner of one or another? Without even looking I can almost guarantee that most if not all will recommend to purchase M3 in BMW forums and you will also read quite a lot of hate towards ISF....
It just makes that person's assessment (inexperienced) towards the topic. Plus, the OP is looking for someone who may have walked their path - ultimately buying one or the other. That's like if I recommended you buy a Ferrari with no idea on what that ownership entails, and my only experience is from reading other's opinions on the matter, then regurgitating that information without adding any substance to the conversation.
Old 10-23-17, 04:45 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

OP, both are great cars. To this day, I still think about trading in for an M3. I think it is a better car in every category, except reliability. But reliability is subjective.
Old 10-23-17, 05:06 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Originally Posted by jum3
It just makes that person's assessment (inexperienced) towards the topic. Plus, the OP is looking for someone who may have walked their path - ultimately buying one or the other. That's like if I recommended you buy a Ferrari with no idea on what that ownership entails, and my only experience is from reading other's opinions on the matter, then regurgitating that information without adding any substance to the conversation.
Well I actually had several BMWs from all generations from E46 to current as well as test drove and considered buying 2 E92 M3s and 4 ISFs. I think i have some basic knowledge, it's not exactly rocket science here. Ones opinion would be deeply flawed if you own ISF and never owned, test drove or even considered M3 (it's called purchase justification). It's like saying that all car reviewers have no saying and are all wrong because they don't owe cars they review lol
Old 10-23-17, 10:19 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

This has been stated over and over the original OP was looking for individuals who had prior experience with one or two of the cars in question.
not someone who owns an E46 not someone who owned a 335 or m235i. But actual ownership of real M e90,e92 or e93 or ISF. You cannot equate testing driving E9xxM twice and ISF four times to ownership of either car for year or more total different experience. You really can't get to feel what either cars capabilities are on a daily basis whether it be on the track, in the wet,in the snow on the back twisties, stuck in traffic. You don't get to find out all little quarks of vehicle until you spend significant time in them, and you'll never experience that in few test drives.

And obviously he's going to get some bias opinion he's on Club Lexus ISF forum and he'll get the same bias opinions on BMW M3 forum's whether it be on m3post or Bimmerpost or any of other BMW forums he chooses to visit. He is looking for biased opinion of what it is to truly live with these cars day in and day out whether it be from several months to several years so he can glean as much information to make an informed decision from individuals who have actually owned these cars. You're so intent on proving your point what ever it is that it's bordering on fanboyism and that's one thing here on CL we try to avoid as much as possible do we have a few, of course but when it starts to rear its ugly head we try to shoot it down as quickly as possible. We are for the most part car enthusiast I for one love anything with a motor. It's been stated earlier everything that you posted up so far has been regurgitated from information you've learned either from here or from other sources, you have no true real life first-hand long-term ownership experience with either vehicle. So you can make any argument that you want it doesn't matter you've never owned any of the cars in question so you cannot speak to what it is to truly own these vehicles. Yes you can have an opinion of your extremely brief time driving these vehicles and that opinion has some validity but you can only speak to that extremely brief time, it doesn't carry the same weight of individuals that have owned these vehicles for years.

A very good friend of mine owns several Boar's Head trucks with routes throughout Manhattan and New York City he's a multi-millionaire and own several high-end cars I've driven his Porsche GT3rs, his 911 Porsche Turbo and his McLaren 570GT just because I've driven these cars a few times doesn't mean I know what it means to own these cars.
I can go test drive m235i right now take it out two or three times, that will never truly tell me what it is to own that car on a daily basis. So, say what you will the facts are the facts. Go out and enjoy your m235i it's a nice little car it's quick it handles great and gives you everything that you were looking for in a car. But everything that you have posted to this point has brought nothing to table as far as any new true insight into ownership of either of these vehicles. Oh and in regards to purchase justification I guess that's why you're here constantly posting up comments on cars you've never owned I'm just saying its like Napoleon complex 😉😆🤣 i kidd i kidd lol
Seriously speaking Good luck with your m235i👍enjoy its great car.
The following users liked this post:
jdmSW20 (10-25-17)
Old 10-24-17, 04:18 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Weapon F
This has been stated over and over the original OP was looking for individuals who had prior experience with one or two of the cars in question.
not someone who owns an E46 not someone who owned a 335 or m235i. But actual ownership of real M e90,e92 or e93 or ISF. You cannot equate testing driving E9xxM twice and ISF four times to ownership of either car for year or more total different experience. You really can't get to feel what either cars capabilities are on a daily basis whether it be on the track, in the wet,in the snow on the back twisties, stuck in traffic. You don't get to find out all little quarks of vehicle until you spend significant time in them, and you'll never experience that in few test drives.

And obviously he's going to get some bias opinion he's on Club Lexus ISF forum and he'll get the same bias opinions on BMW M3 forum's whether it be on m3post or Bimmerpost or any of other BMW forums he chooses to visit. He is looking for biased opinion of what it is to truly live with these cars day in and day out whether it be from several months to several years so he can glean as much information to make an informed decision from individuals who have actually owned these cars. You're so intent on proving your point what ever it is that it's bordering on fanboyism and that's one thing here on CL we try to avoid as much as possible do we have a few, of course but when it starts to rear its ugly head we try to shoot it down as quickly as possible. We are for the most part car enthusiast I for one love anything with a motor. It's been stated earlier everything that you posted up so far has been regurgitated from information you've learned either from here or from other sources, you have no true real life first-hand long-term ownership experience with either vehicle. So you can make any argument that you want it doesn't matter you've never owned any of the cars in question so you cannot speak to what it is to truly own these vehicles. Yes you can have an opinion of your extremely brief time driving these vehicles and that opinion has some validity but you can only speak to that extremely brief time, it doesn't carry the same weight of individuals that have owned these vehicles for years.

A very good friend of mine owns several Boar's Head trucks with routes throughout Manhattan and New York City he's a multi-millionaire and own several high-end cars I've driven his Porsche GT3rs, his 911 Porsche Turbo and his McLaren 570GT just because I've driven these cars a few times doesn't mean I know what it means to own these cars.
I can go test drive m235i right now take it out two or three times, that will never truly tell me what it is to own that car on a daily basis. So, say what you will the facts are the facts. Go out and enjoy your m235i it's a nice little car it's quick it handles great and gives you everything that you were looking for in a car. But everything that you have posted to this point has brought nothing to table as far as any new true insight into ownership of either of these vehicles. Oh and in regards to purchase justification I guess that's why you're here constantly posting up comments on cars you've never owned I'm just saying its like Napoleon complex 😉😆🤣 i kidd i kidd lol
I actually just posted that M3 is more exciting and less reliable. I haven't posted any long term user experience (not sure it should take years of ISF ownership to figure that out). There seems to be lots of rant over 2 word, don't u think?
​​​​
PS. It's not like I wrote my personal opinion out of nowhere, I was in exactly the same boat as OP few years ago. But I understand, none of this makes any sense, this is diehard ISF ONLY forum, no one else can post lol

Last edited by kolyan; 10-24-17 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-24-17, 06:37 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Originally Posted by Weapon F

​​​​​​I vote this for Clublexus POST OF THE YEAR!!! Very well said!
Not hating on Koylan by any means, just stating facts. Good stuff WeaponF👍

V.
Old 10-24-17, 06:56 AM
Vitveet
Racer

I actually just posted that M3 is more exciting and less reliable. I haven't posted any long term user experience (not sure it should take years of ISF ownership to figure that out). There seems to be lots of rant over 2 word, don't u think?
​​​​
PS. It's not like I wrote my personal opinion out of nowhere, I was in exactly the same boat as OP few years ago. But I understand, none of this makes any sense, this is diehard ISF ONLY forum, no one else can post lol

Seriously, why do you visit this forum soooo often and not, let's say, the Mercedes or Jaguar forums?!?! Why not make tons of post in the is250/350 forums if that's a car your wife owns? THATS where you can give real world, real experienced opinions and facts on. Can't do that in the IS-F forum. EVERYONE test drives cars, as WeaponF stated, doesn't give you ownership experience, which is what the OP asked for.
None of us go to the BMW forums and post tons of negativity over there, like you do on the ISF here (with no ownership experience I might add). Just doesn't make sense bro. Really, it doesn't.

V.
Old 10-24-17, 07:02 AM
Adziu
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually anyone can post in any model forum since its not like where we just register for one specific model. Im kinda surprised to see that this became a longer thread than expected lol. But as far as it goes, got a basic breakdown of the M3’s E9X generation since the people who own them had given their inputs on them. Basically the motors are great, but rod bearings and throttle actuators are your biggest concerns. As far as other things people said they can be good or bad just not sure to be exact since they are not in production anymore. Also main key is how the car was taken care of by previous owners. If it was properly warmed up and not revved up during cold start then motor will be fine. People have had M3’s that were fine without issues just regular maintenance(oil, tires, brakes and such) and those who had the bearing problem and other things. I still think it’s a great car but wondering if getting one with a 6 speed manual will be worth the risk. I mean I could go get one and if the car just breaks then fix and trade in for an ISF? But flying back and forth between pricing negotiation and paperwork does not sound fun on 2 cars within who knows of how long. My IS250 just got so boring of driving. Maybe if I was in high school it would’ve been a different story but having so many cars, I’m ready to add 2 more cylinders next. Still have not gotten a chance to test drive an M3 yet since people don’t want to let me take one for a quick 10 minute spin. Don’t know why this is the case but if I won’t be able to get a feel of a car, I won’t end up being able to make a choice on it. And no one wants to go into a blind decision and regret it later.
Old 10-24-17, 07:54 AM
Cwalk25
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To touch on the cost of actually owning an E92 M3, I compiled together the rough cost that it took to own my M3 for 3 years/45K miles. All of the work was done myself unless stated otherwise:

Maintenace:
9 oil changes - $1350
2 diff fluid changes - $290
2 spark plug changes - $380
2 brake pad/fluid changes - $500
1 set of Michelin PSS - $1200
1 set of Continental Extreme Contact DW - $520 (close out price)

Repairs
Fuel leak detection pump - $90
Front left wheel hub/bearing/strut - $1600
Alternator #1 - $2000 (BMW dealership. Died on side of road)
Alternator #2 - $1800 (Independent shop)
Front left angel eye bulb X 2 - $30
Tail light - $5

Maintenance cost - $4240
Repair Total - $5575
Total - $9,815

So a decent chunk of change to keep the thing going. But here's the thing, there were other problems with the car when I traded it in. They were:

Blown speaker - $59
Both Throttle actuators were throwing codes - $1153
Idle control valve never worked, erratic idle after fill-ups. Would sometime idle itself off - $605
Broken Coil pack- $180
The differential would make loud clanking noises under deceleration. Was it broken or maybe the bushings were worn and it was flopping around? Who knows but a refurbished diff is $2500.

Will this be typical of any E9X M3? I don't know. I do know that the throttle actuators are definitely a very real issue that will most likely come into play on any M3, as is the idle control valve. The take away here is that if you buy one, be prepared for a big bill if anything happens. I did 90% of the work myself to save money, so if you're not handy with a wrench then be prepared to shell out more for labor.

Quick Reply: Has anyone thought of E9X M3 before getting the F? Or any previous owners of the M?