IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Has anyone thought of E9X M3 before getting the F? Or any previous owners of the M?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-17, 08:07 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

@IamT, I looked at RS5's as well. The turn off was the potential carbon buildup issue with their direct injection system. Engine note sounds pretty amazing though, which was what got me hooked initially. Sounds like the blasting isn't anymore expensive than the E9X bearing replacement, but the fact that it's not permanent makes it kind of annoying. I don't like the idea of having to do it again depending on how long I kept the vehicle.

Ill be looking for a blown E92 in the spring. Ditching my wife's MB so she can take my ISF. Most guys have the bearings replaced once supercharged, so kills two birds and gets me exactly what I originally wanted. I am at a point in my life where I want to start collecting "keeper" cars rather than just moving from one thing to the next. Like the E92 the first time I saw one, have to add it to the F since these two will start my vehicle portfolio haha.
Old 11-02-17, 05:35 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by IamT
I hate to stir the pot, but I am kind of a similar situation right now as the OP. However, I'm torn between a 2012 ISF and a 2014 RS5. I come from a good amount of performance cars (E92 M3 DCT, 2012 C63 and just sold a '17 Camaro SS 1LE) but I'm torn between an ISF from a member here and a RS5. It appears that OP has found what he's looking for, so I wanted to get a few opinions on my situation lol.

The RS5 and ISF are kind of similar in nature except the coupe vs. sedan options. This particular RS5 already has the VERY expensive (think $5k) Capristo exhaust, KW V3's coils, Euro spec headlights, Audicare up to 65k mile service, however it's about $7k more than the ISF I have my eyes on.

I really appreciate the post earlier about if you haven't owned either car then you can't really give much feedback on the situation. With that being said, I've only test drove a 2008 ISF years ago and LOVED how the exhaust valves opened up after a certain RPM to release that roar and researched how the 2011+ are the ones to get with the updates on various parts. The RS5 has a 4.2L 450HP V8 that revs to 8,500 RPM with the quick shifting DSG gearbox. Both cars get 16/23 MPG and I would be DD either car.

So with what I've shared about the RS5 and what all the expert ISF owners have experienced, what do you think? Did I give enough info to come to a conclusion? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

EDIT: Also test drove and considered a GT 350, F80 M3, Charger hellcat, another E92 M3 and Focus RS.
Test drive a 2012+ IS-F before you make a decision.
Old 11-02-17, 06:50 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IsFast: Nice blue M3!

here's mine - ZERO problems with the car, it's only fault (for me was the DCT paddle tranny) because I wanted a 6-speed manual. Not a fault of the car for sure...

IamT: I cannot comment on the RS5 since I haven't owned that car, but I've had an R8 V8, then a few R8 v10's and also a few S4's over the years. Audi in general is NOT a reliable car outside of warranty. They build their engines very tightly with little or no access. Any problems typically mean the huge amounts of labor to service. My S4 a/c went out (common problem) and entire front end had to be disassembled to service to a tune of $4500! The car wasn't even worth $6k tops. If I was in your position, get the IS-F and don't look back. The Audi RS5 is not that special, my friend had one and she sold it within a few months for a Porsche. She came from a 6-series. IS-F > RS5
The following users liked this post:
Isfast (11-02-17)
Old 11-02-17, 10:45 AM
IamT
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
@IamT, I looked at RS5's as well. The turn off was the potential carbon buildup issue with their direct injection system. Engine note sounds pretty amazing though, which was what got me hooked initially. Sounds like the blasting isn't anymore expensive than the E9X bearing replacement, but the fact that it's not permanent makes it kind of annoying. I don't like the idea of having to do it again depending on how long I kept the vehicle.

Ill be looking for a blown E92 in the spring. Ditching my wife's MB so she can take my ISF. Most guys have the bearings replaced once supercharged, so kills two birds and gets me exactly what I originally wanted. I am at a point in my life where I want to start collecting "keeper" cars rather than just moving from one thing to the next. Like the E92 the first time I saw one, have to add it to the F since these two will start my vehicle portfolio haha.
Originally Posted by Diesel350
Test drive a 2012+ IS-F before you make a decision.
Originally Posted by s4play
IsFast: Nice blue M3!

here's mine - ZERO problems with the car, it's only fault (for me was the DCT paddle tranny) because I wanted a 6-speed manual. Not a fault of the car for sure...

IamT: I cannot comment on the RS5 since I haven't owned that car, but I've had an R8 V8, then a few R8 v10's and also a few S4's over the years. Audi in general is NOT a reliable car outside of warranty. They build their engines very tightly with little or no access. Any problems typically mean the huge amounts of labor to service. My S4 a/c went out (common problem) and entire front end had to be disassembled to service to a tune of $4500! The car wasn't even worth $6k tops. If I was in your position, get the IS-F and don't look back. The Audi RS5 is not that special, my friend had one and she sold it within a few months for a Porsche. She came from a 6-series. IS-F > RS5

Appreciate all of your feedback, this guy has been a hassle to deal with for the RS5 too which might be a sign...