IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Still have inner tire wear even with the USRS!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-17, 07:39 PM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Still have inner tire wear even with the USRS!

I was getting ready for some travel this weekend so I was looking over my car before the trip. I turned the front wheels full lock to get a good look at the front tires and I found that I still have an extreme amount of wear on the inner tire edge of both fronts. The wear seems to be twice as bad on the driver's side with enough wear to prompt me and the wife to take her car on the trip and replace the fronts when I return from the trip.

I had the RR Racing USRS installed after I went through the original set of fronts (a set of PSSs) with wear down to the cords. I know the USRS isn't explicitly made to address this issue but so many seem to have had success in minimizing or eliminating the inner tire wear by using them. Every alignment I have had from the day of installing the USRS, toe has been set to zero. Alignment and balance are checked every 5000-7000 miles. Wear on the currently affected tires is approximately: flats on the inner tire, center tread 4/32 - 5/32, outer edge 1/32 - 2/32. I will try to post a photo in the morning.

Anyone who is extensively familiar with the front suspension on a 2010, I would welcome any ideas on what might be out of whack. Feel free to suggest anything that could be reasonably considered. Stuff like sub-frame misalignment, damaged shocks, improperly installed USRS (FTR, the mechanic followed the RRR instructions exactly), bad ball joint, other arm or link of the suspension that may be bent. Again, the wear is on the inner tire edge with an alignment (toe=0) with the wear biased to the driver's side. Thoughts or suggestions on what would specifically have the capability to increase inner tire wear in spite of the USRS would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-01-17, 07:18 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Factory suspension and ride height? Factory wheels and tire size?

Sorry to hear you are having this problem.
Old 09-01-17, 07:24 AM
Richy21
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How long ago did you get the alignment? Have you changed anything? Do you still have the alignment printout to confirm it was zero?
Old 09-01-17, 07:55 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Glad I'm not the only one. I have inner tire wear as well on my 2012. My toe previously was about 2 degrees, but now is set at 0. I've also upsize my tires to the popular 255/275 from stock. My outer tread depth for my fronts is 9/32 and inner is 7/32. Definitely not visible by eye and only by measurement. I'm keeping an eye of things to see if it gets worse.
Old 09-01-17, 05:07 PM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

What brand and size tires do u have? And do you have balanced camber on each side? The softer the compound, the more likely it will wear out quicker even with the slightest toe or camber misalignment. I get my alignment checked religiously also since i paid for the lifetime alignment with firestone (a lot of people are going to say they never calibrate their racks) and my re-11 245 width wore out the inner edge and i have fig's poly LCA. But from my previous thread, i have an imbalanced camber issue. I might have to resort to figs UCA bushings that can help compensate my camber issue on my passenger side.
Old 09-01-17, 09:41 PM
Helo58
Pole Position

I do have the printouts and they are from Firestone ( I also have the lifetime alignment). On the first set when I first got the car and didn't know about the inner tire wear issue, I am sure they just always adjusted them to the spec (range). I have since told them as close to zero as possible with any overage to be on the toe in side. I have typically never had any problem with them on previous cars (10+ years) with respect to abnormal wear. I am running the stock 2010 sizes in Bridgestone S-04s. It was my understanding that with a stock setup (mine is stock) that the only adjustment that could be made without modification to the hardware was toe. I hope this is correct. I will have to check the balance on the camber, all values were "green" but that doesn't mean balanced. I will also ask about rack calibration. Everything on my setup is stock and the most recent alignment is around 4k miles old.
Old 09-01-17, 10:19 PM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my front tires were wearing on the inner side as well, such that the belts of the tires are exposed while the outer edge still has 50% left. I replaced them and got an alignment done, the shop says my alignment was actually pretty good (after almost 90k miles). They made minor adjustments and say that's the design of the car that you will keep getting inner wear. My car is a 2011 bone stock suspension with no accident history
When I asked the guys with front RR racing bushing installed why am I getting uneven tire wear even in the rear, I didnt get a response
The tires I replaced are continental high performance all season with over 500 treadwear, the ones that I put on now are micheline pilot 4S which supposedly wear longer. Will check to see if the inner wear continues on all 4 corners...
Old 09-02-17, 09:30 PM
Helo58
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JKweezy
What brand and size tires do u have? And do you have balanced camber on each side? The softer the compound, the more likely it will wear out quicker even with the slightest toe or camber misalignment. I get my alignment checked religiously also since i paid for the lifetime alignment with firestone (a lot of people are going to say they never calibrate their racks) and my re-11 245 width wore out the inner edge and i have fig's poly LCA. But from my previous thread, i have an imbalanced camber issue. I might have to resort to figs UCA bushings that can help compensate my camber issue on my passenger side.
I will have to closely check the camber issue versus what I have on the sheet/car. I looks most closely to toe wear because the middle of the tire is wearing evenly rather than sloped like I would expect in camber wear. It is essentially a flat side to side profile with a bald inner shoulder. Anyone have any thoughts on whether a higher tire pressure will help or hurt? I am running the stock 36 currently.
Old 09-05-17, 07:53 AM
Helo58
Pole Position

The most recent alignment in May 2017 shows
  • Camber: LF -1.1, RF -1.6
  • Caster: LF 8.0, RF 8.0
  • Toe: LF -0.05, RF -0.01
Left Front
Right Front
Old 09-05-17, 12:50 PM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

i have the same exact uneven camber measurements it's crazy... but i only had inside wear on the passenger front with the more negative camber side... but your inner wear on the driver's front is possibly due to the excess toe out...
Old 09-05-17, 01:03 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Put up the entire alignment measurements. You have to look at cross camber and cross castor, etc. to determine if the subframe is not straight.
Old 09-05-17, 01:05 PM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Inner tire wear is usually from out of spec camber/toe. Even.01 deg can make a difference on the wear.
Also mind you, lexus designed the F to handle better so the OEM specs have more carmber than normal.
If you want absolutely no inner tire wear, get your camber and toe as close to zero but don't expect the car to handle as good from factory.

specs

USRS was designed to help with steering response, not to eliminate inner tire wear

hope that helps
The following 2 users liked this post by ModInJapan:
Helo58 (09-06-17), UCrazyKid (09-06-17)
Old 09-05-17, 02:40 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 77 Posts

My driver side inner tire is also showing more wear than the passenger side on my 08.... but doesn't look as bad as yours yet. I also had an alignment immediately after installing my USRS, but I'm also on larger tires than stock and lowered.
Old 09-05-17, 03:12 PM
Helo58
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Put up the entire alignment measurements. You have to look at cross camber and cross castor, etc. to determine if the subframe is not straight.
When you say entire alignment measurements, do you mean the rear also? If not, what additional is needed for the front to show cross camber and cross castor?
Old 09-05-17, 03:16 PM
Fsportme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I got coilovers and adj rear upper arms and having trouble finding a reputable shop. Can anyone recommend a competent 4 wheel alignment shop here in So Cal Los Angeles area?

Sorry but my intent wasn't to highjack this thread.

Last edited by Fsportme; 09-06-17 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Still have inner tire wear even with the USRS!