IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Weird exhaust sound following axleback install

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-23, 05:19 PM
Belagon
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Weird exhaust sound following axleback install

I purchased a Circuit Werks axleback exhaust system for my 2008 ISF. Install went smoothly, but at around 4000 RPM, it makes a really irritating wind noise that only gets louder the more you rev it. I took it to a shop to get it looked at and they couldn't find the issue. They suggested that removing the rear bumper fake exhaust tips would solve the problem, which it didn't. Their next suggestion was to install the stock mufflers which I really don't want to do.

I reached out to Circuit Werks but haven't heard back .Has anyone had any similar issues when installing an axleback exhaust?

Here's a link to the one I got: https://circuitwerksusa.com/products...pr_seq=uniform
Old 04-05-23, 08:24 PM
bakalag
Intermediate

Received 403 Likes on 118 Posts

Could it be a new exhaust thing? My novel had weird sounds too but after 3k miles it went away and now sounds way different (better and cleaner) when I first installed it.

I experienced similar things with new other exhausts but might be just placebo too. Just a theory.

curious to hear yours though! I was thinking about getting the circuitwerks titanium if I ever had issues with mine down the line (CA issues..)
The following users liked this post:
Belagon (04-06-23)
Old 04-06-23, 04:45 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Whit some setups you need to let the carbon build up in the pipes. Kinda like a break-in.
Belagon (04-06-23)
Old 04-06-23, 09:08 AM
bakalag
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rickna
Whit some setups you need to let the carbon build up in the pipes. Kinda like a break-in.
Ah yes Break-In was the term I was thinking about.
Old 04-06-23, 03:33 PM
Belagon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rickna
Interesting - didn't realize exhausts needed a break in period. Guess I've got a lot of driving to do. Hope this solves it

Originally Posted by bakalag
Could it be a new exhaust thing? My novel had weird sounds too but after 3k miles it went away and now sounds way different (better and cleaner) when I first installed it.

I experienced similar things with new other exhausts but might be just placebo too. Just a theory.

curious to hear yours though! I was thinking about getting the circuitwerks titanium if I ever had issues with mine down the line (CA issues..)
Maybe - I guess we'll find out. I'll try to put as many miles on it as possible and hopefully that does the trick.

As for the sound, its definitely louder and more pronounced than stock up from 2k to about 4k RPM without blowing your ears out. Its a nice combo of both exhaust noise and induction noise which is what I was going for. I don't have much on above 4k yet because of that noise but hopefully once this is fixed I'll upload some sound clips. I am running everything else stock at the moment.
bakalag (04-06-23)
Old 04-07-23, 05:49 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 282 Likes on 180 Posts

Either you noise gets muffled after break in or you just get used to it lol.
Old 04-07-23, 11:04 PM
Belagon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KennyFSU
Either you noise gets muffled after break in or you just get used to it lol.
Let's hope its the former - its not a pleasant noise whatsoever
Old 04-11-23, 12:44 PM
hmbvt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about getting the same exhaust do you have any sound clips ? How do you like it so far other than the wind noise ?
Old 04-11-23, 10:50 PM
Belagon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hmbvt
I was thinking about getting the same exhaust do you have any sound clips ? How do you like it so far other than the wind noise ?
Gonna film some sound clips soon - just really busy. Having put about 800 miles on it since I got it, its substantially more pronounced when the car is cold inside the car. So you get a louder cold start and the exhaust makes itself known when the car is cold between 1k to about 3k RPM. When its fully warm its harder to notice, but you do get a nice slightly louder exhaust note. I haven't really heard it outside the car much other than starting it with the door open, and its noticeable. The wind noise has gotten quieter since I posted this, so I think the break in by driving it strat is working (so far!). I was looking for something that wouldn't be too loud and would cut a bit of weight off the car, so this met my needs perfectly. If you're looking for a bit of noise and weight reduction, there isn't much else out there that isn't $3k+. If you want something really loud there are definitely better options out there.

Hope this helps - I'll have sound clips soon.
The following 3 users liked this post by Belagon:
bakalag (04-12-23), Rickna (04-12-23), RJMacReady (04-06-24)
Old 04-12-23, 02:00 PM
bakalag
Intermediate

Awesome that it's sounding better, can't wait to hear the sound clips!
Old 05-11-23, 10:21 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

Got any sound clips from this axle back system?
bakalag (05-15-23)
Old 05-12-23, 09:07 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 251 Likes on 146 Posts

The Circuit Werks design looks *very* much like the HKS SSM, but constructed out of Ti instead of Stainless. Observed from the driver's seat, the SSM amplifies induction noise above the intake bypass valve opening at 3700 rpm. I wonder if the CW design is resonating similarly. Is the intake bypass valve (located on the fender side of the airbox) functioning correctly?
Old 05-29-23, 06:31 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

How are you liking this exhaust now? Any idea on the weight, “approx 13 lbs?”
Old 06-17-23, 08:10 AM
Mr658
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sound clips?

Originally Posted by Belagon
I purchased a Circuit Werks axleback exhaust system for my 2008 ISF. Install went smoothly, but at around 4000 RPM, it makes a really irritating wind noise that only gets louder the more you rev it. I took it to a shop to get it looked at and they couldn't find the issue. They suggested that removing the rear bumper fake exhaust tips would solve the problem, which it didn't. Their next suggestion was to install the stock mufflers which I really don't want to do.

I reached out to Circuit Werks but haven't heard back .Has anyone had any similar issues when installing an axleback exhaust?

Here's a link to the one I got: https://circuitwerksusa.com/products...pr_seq=uniform

any video sound clips on how it sounds? I’d love to hear so I can decide if it’s worth it for my car. If possible videos like just cold starts, warm revs, rev limiter, and downshifts? Can’t find anything anywhere in the internet for this exhaust.
bakalag (08-23-23)
Old 08-23-23, 11:06 AM
Conan997
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post a video

Hey, bump this thread, I'm hoping to hear this exhaust and if the "wind noise" got fixed. Please put up a video.

Quick Reply: Weird exhaust sound following axleback install