IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Clicking noise turning wheel? *video*

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-17, 08:40 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Clicking noise turning wheel? *video*

Seeking help from the F bros. Been having this noise when turning the wheel and can't really isolate where it is or what it's coming from. I'm not exactly sure when this started but it's finally annoyed me enough to try to figure it out. When I was changing the oil the other day I tried looking around but it's kinda difficult to isolate the noise alone. Also the car while in the air doesn't make the noise so its only underweight of the vehicle. Ideas?

Front suspension Mods: RR-R USRS. Lowered on KWv3. Soon to install SPC ball joints.

Old 08-30-17, 04:43 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

I would suspect the ball joint(s) strictly based on the sound. Grab a set of adequately-sized channel locks and compress each (while car is in the air) to look for play, like so:

Old 08-30-17, 01:51 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Thanks I'll give that a shot this weekend. Kinda guessing that might be the case. It almost looked like one was leaking like I've seen on another thread with the DYI for replacing them. Might have to just buy new ones before I do my SPC ball joints.
Old 08-30-17, 04:15 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same issue when it's compressed and almost at full clock. It also started to pull to the right shortly before I shipped my car. I also have Figs LCA bushings and Penske coils. I also suspected ball joints and planned to changed them out once my car arrives. Keep us posted.
Old 08-30-17, 06:20 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Do you by chance have aftermarket upper control arms? I had a very similar noise on my G35 with aftermarket upper control arms-the bushings of the upper control arms were so stiff that the passenger side would click like that as the wheel turned and it torqued the upper control arm bushings against the metal of the car. Replaced with oem upper arms with softer bushings and no more noise.
Old 08-30-17, 08:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Same noise here and it is really annoying. You would think the front tires would show a bad wear pattern if the hubs or ball joints were acting up, but I have perfect tire wear and a noise that drives me nuts.

I have not been able to isolate it either. I am ready to totally shotgun the whole thing - new hubs, new ball joints, new upper control arms from FIGS, and new steering rack ends. If it doesn't solve it, the only things left are steering rack and brake calipers (very small chance of that). I want the noise to stop...
Old 08-30-17, 08:23 PM
Fivepoint0
Pole Position

Have the same sound but only when turning into my drive way. Plan on doing the lower
ball joint as one side leaks.
Old 08-30-17, 09:23 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

This is where you need 2 people get it up on a hoist and start rocking the steering and FEEL for the noise good luck.
Old 08-30-17, 09:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by isfvss
This is where you need 2 people get it up on a hoist and start rocking the steering and FEEL for the noise good luck.
No noise without load. The car has to be fully loaded for the noise to exhibit itself. I wish it were easier to diagnose, but it isn't.
Old 08-30-17, 09:35 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Same noise here and it is really annoying. You would think the front tires would show a bad wear pattern if the hubs or ball joints were acting up, but I have perfect tire wear and a noise that drives me nuts.

I have not been able to isolate it either. I am ready to totally shotgun the whole thing - new hubs, new ball joints, new upper control arms from FIGS, and new steering rack ends. If it doesn't solve it, the only things left are steering rack and brake calipers (very small chance of that). I want the noise to stop...
Originally Posted by Fivepoint0
Have the same sound but only when turning into my drive way. Plan on doing the lower
ball joint as one side leaks.
Same here guys, clicking noise occurs when parking car while steer wheel is turned backing up or going forward. It doesn't occur every time though.

Lubuxracer I was think clicking sound could possibly coming from front axle either Carrier front axle and inner joint or possibly shaft set what do you think?
Old 08-31-17, 01:30 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Hey Lowbux put it on a 4 poster drive on hoist cheers.
Old 08-31-17, 02:03 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

So I have inner wear on the side that "clicks". Also have figs LCA bushings and got the alignment checked out. The side in question is a degree of two off and cannot be brought into specs. No play with the hub and no sign of leaking on the ball joint. For mine to produce the sound it has be under full load and steering almost full clock. My old drive way was fairly steep where if I didn't hit the proper angle one of the rear wheels would be in the air. I think three years of that is what caused it.
Old 08-31-17, 07:30 AM
JPxMODz
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Mine does this also on drivers side. The noise was more apparent after RR-R USRS installed, but I can't say or confirm that it's related
Old 08-31-17, 09:51 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

wow I'm surprised by how many others also have this issue and just lived with it like myself. Hopefully we can diagnose this for future reference.
Old 09-01-17, 07:23 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Huh, it sounds kind of tinny. Could it be the brake heat/dust shields catching on something? It's the only thing I can think of that might make that kind of sound down there.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise turning wheel? *video*