Ninja10r
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

wow , 60 foot time is way off,are you flat on the floor as the yellow comes on
Old 08-22-17, 02:55 PM
wmjeffreyw
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran a couple months ago in Tucson, alt of strip was 3000' and the DA was 8000 that evening. I was able to run a 12.95. I am running full bolt-ons RR intake and tune. Also mixing E85 with 91 octane.
Old 08-22-17, 03:13 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Ninja10r
wow , 60 foot time is way off,are you flat on the floor as the yellow comes on
Most of the time this won't matter bc the clock won't start till you break the plane.

I ran a 12.64@ 114 with just exhaust and power braking. My 60' times were about 2 tenths off of where I think they should be based on others' times. I also didn't burn out at all. I'd like to think next time at the track I could bring my time down to the 12.5 range with some better
Old 08-23-17, 02:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The problem is the car belongs on a track, not a drag strip. The drag strip is not a track. Put her on a road course and you'll be happier, I promise
Old 08-24-17, 09:43 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The problem is the car belongs on a track, not a drag strip. The drag strip is not a track. Put her on a road course and you'll be happier, I promise
Yeah but that wont change something is definitely off with his car regardless of venue lol. I would start with all necessary maintenance, maf cleaning, ecu reset, different gas station, any stuff like that. Cause even stock the car should be far faster than that.

Unless driver mod is the culprit
Old 08-24-17, 11:48 AM
Damart14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
Yeah but that wont change something is definitely off with his car regardless of venue lol. I would start with all necessary maintenance, maf cleaning, ecu reset, different gas station, any stuff like that. Cause even stock the car should be far faster than that.

Unless driver mod is the culprit
Thank you JDM, I have started doing the basic stuff like you mentioned. Do you know if I need to disconnect the battery when I reset the ECU. I know I have to pull the two fuses. Someone also mentioned to press the brake pedal and it'll kill the memory faster.
Old 08-24-17, 02:31 PM
Dnfwm
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I first had my car in stock trim, the best I could do with it was a 13.7. I then ran it again with borla exhaust and was able to pull off a 13.3. I have not ran it again with the headers, but I plan to in 2 weeks time.
I think my best 60' was a 2.1.

Anyways, heres a few more questions for you. Are you a big guy? I'm a big guy, 6'5" 300 pounds! If a 150 pound driver gets in the car instead of me, they will shave time for sure! Do you run on a full tank of gas? A lot of these guys that post fast times run like a 1/4 of a tank or less. A lot of people will also take out spare tire, jack, tools etc. Weight can make a significant difference in an automobile.
Old 08-24-17, 02:43 PM
Damart14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dnfwm
When I first had my car in stock trim, the best I could do with it was a 13.7. I then ran it again with borla exhaust and was able to pull off a 13.3. I have not ran it again with the headers, but I plan to in 2 weeks time.
I think my best 60' was a 2.1.

Anyways, heres a few more questions for you. Are you a big guy? I'm a big guy, 6'5" 300 pounds! If a 150 pound driver gets in the car instead of me, they will shave time for sure! Do you run on a full tank of gas? A lot of these guys that post fast times run like a 1/4 of a tank or less. A lot of people will also take out spare tire, jack, tools etc. Weight can make a significant difference in an automobile.
Hi, I am 5'9 190 pounds. I was running with about a 1/4 of a tank. Other than that everything is bone stock. Spark plugs were changed at 60k miles at Lexus.
Old 08-24-17, 02:45 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Damart14
Thank you JDM, I have started doing the basic stuff like you mentioned. Do you know if I need to disconnect the battery when I reset the ECU. I know I have to pull the two fuses. Someone also mentioned to press the brake pedal and it'll kill the memory faster.
Yeah there are multiple ways to reset the ECU, I would definitely try that. Maintenance task would be next on the list for sure, all the typical stuff cause you never know what could've been overlooked. Good luck man
Old 08-24-17, 02:49 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

No need to disconnect battery if you pull the fuses. It is either disconnect the battery or pull the 2 fuses.
Old 08-24-17, 05:05 PM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gymkata
DA is density altitude...basically the conditions (altitude, temp, humidity, barometric pressure) you were running in were the equivalent of running at almost 4000 ft above sea level and with this your car was making less power and was slower that it would have been at sea level or whatever conditions are that equal a DA of 0 ft. The fastest times that you see posted here are typically in conditions that have a negative DA value (greater air density) when the car is making the most power.

Yes, I saw which cars you were running against. Provided the Mustang had a clean run, a 2015 Mustang GT with full bolt ons and tune running in the low 13s is a good indicator of how bad the conditions were that day.
+1 I agree, a FBO tuned coyote mustang gt is supposed to be running way faster than that. So OP isn't the only one running some wierd 1/4 times that day..
Old 08-24-17, 11:50 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

I know you've got some pretty good advice, especially regarding DA which is one of the most important factors when drag racing any vehicle as well as learning how to launch your ISF in order to get that low 60ft time, which takes some practice the mere fact that FBO GT Mustang ran poor times also shows that there's a lot more going on.

There are several other factors that have been discussed but not in detail. Two big factors for me 1.where the car came from a high elevation and how the car was driven most likely like a little old lady from Pasadena lol. I know Lubuxracer touched on subject earlier. For 85k miles your ISF ecu has learned how maximize its performance in two critical ways. First, how the car was driven? If the previous owner really baby the car never drove it aggressively used it more let's say as a daily commuter car more like ES or LS no offense to either of those two cars just never really drove the car hard your ecu has become accustomed to operating in those parameters. Like Lubuxracer stated earlier he may have a glaze the motor, the ECU has learned his driving habits along altitude where your F came from combined these two or three issues you can have a vehicle that has been trained over time to create less power.

So you need to retrain your ECU to produce more horsepower and one of the ways to help do this is to increase your KCLV which stands for “Knock Correction Learn Value.” It is simply a long term ignition correction factor. Reset your ECU, the KCLV goes to 15 you want it at 20 or higher. Rafi, from RR RACING recommend this to anyone who installing tune especially anyone who has low KCLV numbers. I remember reading back in 2016 ISF owners living in high elevations where showing low KCLV numbers below 15, low number usually mean less horsepower.

How to increase your KCLV? well its pretty simple. First reset ecu, Do several long pulls in 4 gear over 120mph safely, the higher the better. Then do same thing over again this time in 7 and 8th gear long pulls now you dont have to hit 150mph you just need to create highload situation let's say 90+mph. In order to check your kclv numbers you need techstream if you don't have access to techstream then you can bring it to your local dealership or shop that has techstream to get your number.

You may have excessive carbon build up in throttle body, intake manfold etc I've been using this product Seafoam for years one can goes in into gas tank and another can of seafoam intake cleaner comes with tube you incert into intake tube just before the throttle body. Spray the can while the car is on it will produce a lot of smoke don't worry about it it's just burning off excess carbon etc off. Seafoam Works great just follow instructions. Go on YouTube and see how it works.

Sorry for the long post hopefully this helps. I feel you will definitely see a difference in power levels just by retraining your ECU and once you clean the intake as well as your fuel injectors with the seafoam cleaner that I mentioned you will see additional power it's not going to be a huge jump but definitely feel difference in power and responsiveness

Im a little bit older than most guys here I'm 53yrs old and like Lubuxracer or flowrider We have all been around cars for well over 30 years. If you take to 2 identical cars one that's been driven very gingerly never taken up to speed versus one that's been aggressively driven you will see the one that's been driven gingerly will be slower car every time.

Last edited by Weapon F; 08-25-17 at 12:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DCoolBeans (08-25-17)
Old 08-26-17, 10:04 AM
Dnfwm
Driver

I wonder if something is up with the timing system at the track you were at. On your first slip against the 300zx, he was a little bit slower on the 60', he finished over a second in front of you, but somehow you both have the exact same mph. On another slip, a mustang had a 700+ mph pass with a 13.1. On another slip your mph was like 35mph. Something doesn't seem right.

Im literally at a drag strip right now and my car has ppe headers and a borla exhaust. I ran a 13.166 with a 2.09 60" at 107 mph. This is my first pass and I'm hoping to god I can touch a 12.

I will let you know what my best is. Anyways, My answer is to try another drag strip and follow the instructions on trying to up the kclv.
Old 08-26-17, 10:14 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Dnfwm
I wonder if something is up with the timing system at the track you were at. On your first slip against the 300zx, he was a little bit slower on the 60', he finished over a second in front of you, but somehow you both have the exact same mph. On another slip, a mustang had a 700+ mph pass with a 13.1. On another slip your mph was like 35mph. Something doesn't seem right.

Im literally at a drag strip right now and my car has ppe headers and a borla exhaust. I ran a 13.166 with a 2.09 60" at 107 mph. This is my first pass and I'm hoping to god I can touch a 12.

I will let you know what my best is. Anyways, My answer is to try another drag strip and follow the instructions on trying to up the kclv.
Another really weird time. 13.16 on a car pushing 475+ hp with headers and exhaust is very odd. And, while not great, your 60' is not terrible.
Old 08-26-17, 11:13 AM
Dnfwm
Driver

Originally Posted by Jz39
Another really weird time. 13.16 on a car pushing 475+ hp with headers and exhaust is very odd. And, while not great, your 60' is not terrible.
yeah i know. The only thing I can think of is
A- I'm 300 pounds
B- there is a strong head wind.
C- the car has 3/4 of a tank of fuel
D- my car is a junker lol.

Quick Reply: Slow Track/1/4 Mile Time