IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Brake grooves/warping problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-17, 01:40 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brake grooves/warping problem?

Both my front rotors have grooves like this. When I run my finger across them the groves are very minor. Braking feels normal but every now and then when I come to a stop from like 65 or so there's very very slight vibration in the pedal and a little noise. Replaced front rotors and pads maybe 2500 miles ago and did the bed in procedure. This can't be normal right? Rear rotors are completely smooth and they've been on for probably 10k miles. I did have to have my front brakes prematurely replaced probably 6 months ago for being completely shot even though I don't track the car and drive like any other normal driver on the road. Could something be wrong with my calipers that are causing this? At this rate I'll probably have to replace the front brakes again pretty quick. Also could there be any warranty for me to take advantage of if this is a problem?

Last edited by 2010ISF; 07-29-17 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-31-17, 08:53 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not uncommon.
Old 08-01-17, 09:55 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

You should mention the brake pads you are using to get a clear idea.
Old 08-02-17, 04:43 AM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I purchased my car as a CPO car and the brakes passed the Lexus inspection looking just like yours. I have since replaced the rotors and pads (different pads, brembo rotors) and after 10k miles and they, again, look like what you show in your pictures. I have no noise or vibration at low speed, high speed, or under braking. Additionally, I have noticed no difference in stopping power outside of what I would/could attribute to different pads. I thought it was odd as well, but I am not concerned about mine until other brake "issues" (mentioned above) begin to appear.
Old 08-02-17, 07:04 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^Different pads is not a brand name. It might help you and others if the brand of pad you are using were mentioned. I have Ferodo DS2500 pads in front and rotor wear is excellent.

Lou
Old 08-02-17, 08:39 AM
Helo58
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Different pads is not a brand name. It might help you and others if the brand of pad you are using were mentioned. I have Ferodo DS2500 pads in front and rotor wear is excellent.

Lou
"Different pads" and "Brembo rotors" (same rotors) were stated to indicate that the wear pattern might be independent of pad choice. And to think, all of this time I thought "different pads" was a brand name...

Last edited by Helo58; 08-02-17 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-02-17, 08:50 AM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

OP, that looks normal to me. I've gone through a set of OEM and stoptech pads with rotors looking like that. No issues. You mentioned you had a brake job done prematurely; were you at minimum rotor thickness?
Old 08-02-17, 08:59 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Helo58
"Different pads" and "Brembo rotors" (same rotors) were stated to indicate that the wear pattern might be independent of pad choice. And to think, all of this time I thought "different pads" was a brand name...

But, it MAY NOT be. As stated, I have no such wear. Again, indicating the brand and type of pads your are using may help shed more light on the subject. Is there a reason you are reluctant to share this information?

Lou
Old 08-02-17, 10:42 AM
Helo58
Pole Position

But, it MAY NOT be. As stated, I have no such wear. Again, indicating the brand and type of pads your are using may help shed more light on the subject. Is there a reason you are reluctant to share this information?

Lou
Is there a reason you are reluctant to share the brand of rotors you are using? Indicating the brand of rotors your are using may help shed more light on the subject. BTW, I am running Hawk HPS 5.0 pads on the front and OEM pads and rotors on the rear. Wear on both looks identical.
Old 08-02-17, 11:11 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Not reluctant at all. If you were to search you would find out all you need to know about my front rotors. As I said, my rotors are wearing just fine, but I DO NOT recommend the seller:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nt-rotors.html

My rear rotors are stock and I'm running PM +800 pads.

BTW I gave my OEM rotors to a friend and they never had the wear issues talked about in this thread.

Lou
Old 08-02-17, 11:23 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^There was no 2006 ISF, which vehicle are you speaking of?

Lou
Old 08-02-17, 12:53 PM
Helo58
Pole Position

^^^^Not reluctant at all. If you were to search you would find out all you need to know about my front rotors. As I said, my rotors are wearing just fine, but I DO NOT recommend the seller:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nt-rotors.html

My rear rotors are stock and I'm running PM +800 pads.

BTW I gave my OEM rotors to a friend and they never had the wear issues talked about in this thread.

Lou
Sorry Lou, I was just having a little fun with ya. I am inclined to believe it may have something to do with drilled holes in the rotors. If they become clogged or partially clogged and increase wear/buildup in the areas around the holes, it might explain the pattern of the "ripples." I just checked mine and they are all partially clogged currently.

Last edited by Helo58; 08-02-17 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-02-17, 12:58 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
My original 2006 front rotors developed grooves like that at about 35,000 easy miles, which the shop said was (partially) due to brake dust and rust particles embedded in the pads acting as abrasive areas.
There was no 06 ISF bros..

To the OP, I don't see anything out of the normal from when I had oem pads and oem rotors. Im on new rotors and NS400 pads so we shall see in time
Old 08-03-17, 08:56 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

My '08 since new has worn the same with stock brembo rotors and stock pads (both early squeaky pads and revised) and they look the same. No effect on braking. I tend to agree with the above theory about the cross drilled cooling holes and the ripple effect mentioned above.
Old 08-03-17, 05:43 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I've been a little quiet on CL lately but wanted to chime in on this thread with my thoughts. I don't have much to add but I wanted to confirm what some others have seemed to already notice. There is nothing abnormal with the rotor in the OPs photo and this wear pattern is specific to drilled rotors. It is somewhat dependent on pad compound but more so with how quickly the grooves appear- typically the pad compounds that clog the drilled holes faster than others are the worst offenders from what I've seen.

-Matt M.

Quick Reply: Brake grooves/warping problem?