IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

If you downgraded what would you get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-17, 05:57 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

U only live once keep the F and if u needed too get side job , u going to regretted once u sold it. ��
Old 07-28-17, 12:58 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Volvo turbo wagon of some kind (V70, XC70) with 2.5T motor.
Old 07-28-17, 07:01 PM
cleethree
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

GS350, GS460, Rav 4 V6 or 4Runner because I need more space.
Old 07-30-17, 11:09 AM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

If I were in the OP's position I would get a civic. Cheap, good mpg and easy/affordable to maintain.
Old 07-30-17, 11:57 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Sell your car to yourself for a great deal at 20k

Truthfully, this post doesn't make too much sense: Realistically you are looking at the 20-25k range to get something decent. Then, add on taxes etc, and the fact that it seems most used cars are sold when they are about to need tires and brakes, and all of a sudden you are in the 25-30k range which is more than your current car.

And, even if you own your car outright, sell it for 25k, buy a cheap car at 15k, how far is that 10k really going to get you?

How much do you owe on your car or is the title clear?

Last edited by Jz39; 07-30-17 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-30-17, 04:40 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39

Truthfully, this post doesn't make too much sense: Realistically you are looking at the 20-25k range to get something decent. Then, add on taxes etc, and the fact that it seems most used cars are sold when they are about to need tires and brakes, and all of a sudden you are in the 25-30k range which is more than your current car.

And, even if you own your car outright, sell it for 25k, buy a cheap car at 15k, how far is that 10k really going to get you?

Exactly^^^^

V.
Old 07-30-17, 05:05 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jz39

Given the OP's comment of, "Based on my driving style and the amount of tires i go through its not possible for me to keep it if im being realistic." I think he is looking for something that requires less in yearly maintenance over the long run (gas, tires, oil, repairs, etc). If he is looking to get a downgraded car that is as close to an ISF as possible, then yeah I agree with you... there is no point because the small savings isn't going to mean much. However, if he is going to get a well maintained, 2-3 year old used Civic, Corolla, etc. then the savings in the short term and, more importantly, the long term could add up and help him reach his goals.
Old 07-30-17, 08:06 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
Given the OP's comment of, "Based on my driving style and the amount of tires i go through its not possible for me to keep it if im being realistic." I think he is looking for something that requires less in yearly maintenance over the long run (gas, tires, oil, repairs, etc). If he is looking to get a downgraded car that is as close to an ISF as possible, then yeah I agree with you... there is no point because the small savings isn't going to mean much. However, if he is going to get a well maintained, 2-3 year old used Civic, Corolla, etc. then the savings in the short term and, more importantly, the long term could add up and help him reach his goals.
I could not image myself going from an ISF as my only car to a Corolla as my only car.....
Sounds more like OP jumped in over his head buying the car before he was truly ready. I guess it happens.....but good luck finding something NEARLY as enjoyable/nice/fast/reliable and quite honestly cheap to maintain as the isf in it's price range.

V.
Old 07-30-17, 08:33 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vitveet
I could not image myself going from an ISF as my only car to a Corolla as my only car.....
Sounds more like OP jumped in over his head buying the car before he was truly ready. I guess it happens.....but good luck finding something NEARLY as enjoyable/nice/fast/reliable and quite honestly cheap to maintain as the isf in it's price range.

V.
100% agree!!
Old 07-31-17, 10:35 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Honestly, if I knew I couldn't afford the car, maintenance, or associated costs of the IS F, I'd have to really look into something more practical and a bit more common. I know some who've needed to downgrade from the F because of financial instability, and I think their owning up to that reality is a lot more important than having a car that's fast and enjoyable. Yes, we have to love what we drive, especially if we're in traffic constantly and/or the commute is for a good while. That being said, if $25k was my upper-most limit, I'd probably take the Corolla/Civic route and leave it at that. It won't be as enjoyable, though they both take curves pretty well, but at least I would be in a financially stable place, and that's way more important in the long run.

Truth be told, cost of ownership is something that should be addressed before purchasing any car. Even though there's a sticker on the car that says how much a certain one may cost over a 5 year stretch, it's good to really research and see a solid estimate on how much others are spending to maintain the vehicle.
Old 07-31-17, 11:39 AM
sucabstunn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW 330D with the M-Sport package or a 330xi as both should be easy to modify and wrench.
Old 07-31-17, 11:52 AM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Originally Posted by sucabstunn
BMW 330D with the M-Sport package or a 330xi as both should be easy to modify and wrench.
The OP is trying to find ways to downgrade and save money on maintenance costs. How is telling him to buy a BMW and then put money into modifications going to accomplish this?
The following users liked this post:
jdmSW20 (08-01-17)
Old 07-31-17, 06:27 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by sucabstunn
ROTFL!!! Now THAT sounds like a way to save money....not
Old 08-01-17, 10:43 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet

V.
Yeah kind of have to agree with this one
Old 08-01-17, 11:39 AM
cjblair
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have to downgrade, maybe a G37S? Still kinda quick, great handling dynamics, has a LSD. I had one before my ISF. No question it's not as fast or quite as nice, but for half the price, they aren't bad at all. If I had to downgrade, I'd consider one.

Quick Reply: If you downgraded what would you get?