IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

best coilovers and suspension mods.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-17, 01:47 PM
allst4risf
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile best coilovers and suspension mods.

so I need your help clublexus I want to increase the handling of my car. could I possibly get something not as hard as oem 2012 shock and springs., my lower back starts to hurt as my commute work has increase from 4mins to 30 miles. I have been looking a kw 3 variant or rr racing custom or fig. let me know guys what u think is best for the money and ride quality. and I do plan on getting the usrs from rr racing with this mod.
Old 07-22-17, 02:24 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

I had KW v3 on my ISF. Great decision for DD use.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-22-17, 08:55 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I've got Penske's 16/14k setup, it's stiffer than OEM but it also connects you with the road a lot better, handling improves and so does confidence. Mine is tuned for the track, one that I attend the most so It's superb there, but whenever I take a ride around town, I don't complain either, surely it's stiffer than the OEM (Dad said he's been thrown around back) too much the other day, but did not complain much about its stiffness.

Going with softer springs would probably improve the ride by a lot while maintaining better handling than OEM, but that's debatable until proven otherwise.
Old 07-23-17, 10:30 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

I've had Tein springs, KWv3s, and Penskes.
KW was bouncy and undersprung. Tein springs needed more low. Penskes (18k/16k) are pretty stiff.
Pick your poison
Old 07-23-17, 12:40 PM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

just make sure your shocks aren't blown in the front or rear.

lexus tried to tell me in 3 visits mine weren't and everything was normal

i told them the ride felt weird, and showed them the alignment would not go to spec

they replaced my rears, *had fronts done couple months ago* but after the rear replacement, the ride feels amazing

i have 83K on my 2012, i'm guessing the rears have been bad since about 77k.
Old 07-24-17, 08:06 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

I have an 08 so ride was very stiff from the get go, but especially bad since I am in the Baltimore area. I have BC Racing coilers with 14/10k Swift Springs. I have it set at 25 clicks from full stiff so the ride is a little floaty but very comfortable, especially with 35/30 sidewall 19" tires. To tighten it up for fun days it takes all of a minute to turn it to stiffer. I am content and they were about $1200 or so.

Last edited by LexusfanVA; 07-24-17 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-24-17, 08:42 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMV8
I've had Tein springs, KWv3s, and Penskes.
KW was bouncy and undersprung. Tein springs needed more low. Penskes (18k/16k) are pretty stiff.
Pick your poison
Really? That's how you felt about the KW? Its always a first when you don't hear praise about the KW even though as soft as the spring rates are I often wondered on a heavy car like this

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
I have an 08 so ride was very stiff from the get go. I have BC Racing coilers with 14/10k Swift Springs. I have it set at 25 clicks from full stiff so the ride is a little floaty but very comfortable, especially with 35/30 sidewall 19" tires. To tighten it up for fun days it takes all of a minute to turn it to stiffer. I am content and they were about $1200 or so.
Yeah I'm in the same boat, having am 08 my suspension feel is stiff out the gate. But I think a 16k/12k setup wouldn't be that bad just more controlled vs stock, that's the route I'm thinking especially since the F isnt light by any standard. Then again I don't really mind a stiffer ride
Old 07-24-17, 09:18 AM
Fivepoint0
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Will never find the best coilover since road conditions vary etc. once you determine what are your goals for the car then you will see what works for you.
if you can find some F owners in you area with coilovers to test.
the F will never ride smooth like the LS etc.
with that said I am on BC with swift springs 14/12 for DD set 25/20 clicks and rides good
KW was my first option .
Old 07-24-17, 10:16 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

KW is a great DD option, in my opinion. Very compliant, and yes, the spring rates are soft, but that rebound more than makes up for it. Cost-wise is pretty up there, but great quality. A few close friends have these coilovers, and they're quite nice. Smooth and still sport-oriented is how I'd describe these best.

Penske and Ohlins are both more track-oriented, so higher spring rates will be necessary for those products. Certainly not cheap, but the best of the best available. Dedicated track cars will see the most benefit from these offerings.

Myself and numerous others went with BC Racing, specifically with the Swift Springs option (per suggested from FIGS). I am currently at 16k/12k at full stiff at all four corners. It's not super stiff to the point where I cannot enjoy the drive anymore, and I have some back issues as well. But the ride is very compliant and I get the adequate feedback on the roads from both street and track driving. 14k/10k is decent for street/daily use, but if you feel like carving a canyon or occasionally hitting the track or autocross, the 16/12 option is the way to go.

There is an all F gathering at Lexus Escondido next month. It might be a fun way to see how others have their IS Fs set up so you can see for yourself which is the way to go.
Old 07-24-17, 12:18 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

On my 08 F, I ended up going with the BC Coilovers with the Swift 16k/12k upgrade, dampening set up per FIGS recommendations, then picked up a set of RR Racing USRS, and of course a much needed alignment afterwards. I daily commute my car 50 miles round trip M-F, two car seats in the back and trek the family everywhere with my car. Ride is stable, responsive, and handles much better than stock.

Exactly what the others have said, figure out what you're using the car for, set yourself a budget and go from there. You can spend anywhere from $1300-$10K in suspension set ups, but if you're really looking for ride comfort, then I'd personally recommend the BC set up or the KW's for an affordable price point.
Old 07-25-17, 11:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

FWIW, it's a waste of time to discuss settings on lower quality shocks. Most do not have any consistency, and without a shock dyno or a timed course, you would never know the difference. The vast majority of inexpensive shocks are not consistent from unit to unit, and most are pretty much junk. If you want consistent performance, Bilstein is your best bet on a budget, and Penske is your best bet if you want functioning adjustability at a premium price.

If you are unhappy with the ride quality of a 2012 IS F and your shocks are not in bad condition, you bought the wrong car. There is nothing you will be able to do at a reasonable price to make an IS F ride smooth like an ES, GS, or LS (not F models). Buying an F means you are willing to compromise some comfort for superior handling compared to other Lexus models.

Figure out what is important, and make a decision based on what you truly need.
The following users liked this post:
allst4risf (06-23-20)
Old 07-26-17, 10:23 AM
allst4risf
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
FWIW, it's a waste of time to discuss settings on lower quality shocks. Most do not have any consistency, and without a shock dyno or a timed course, you would never know the difference. The vast majority of inexpensive shocks are not consistent from unit to unit, and most are pretty much junk. If you want consistent performance, Bilstein is your best bet on a budget, and Penske is your best bet if you want functioning adjustability at a premium price.

If you are unhappy with the ride quality of a 2012 IS F and your shocks are not in bad condition, you bought the wrong car. There is nothing you will be able to do at a reasonable price to make an IS F ride smooth like an ES, GS, or LS (not F models). Buying an F means you are willing to compromise some comfort for superior handling compared to other Lexus models.

best advice yet.
so i need to buy a DD..cant have the best of both worlds?? i only really go to the track twice a year? But i drive to work everyday. =(
Old 07-26-17, 01:15 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

Been seeing a lot more threads like this lately where folks want plush ride out of an F car. Having an 08 that I daily, a stiff ride is nothing to me, plus my mr2 rides hella stiff too so its normal for me.

But I think Ohlin or Penske would be overkill for my needs. Even KW unless I got a smoking deal on them
The following users liked this post:
jhoover767 (02-22-19)
Old 07-26-17, 06:44 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a 2012 and I don't find the ride overly harsh. This is coming from someone that has been driving a GS400 for the past ten years and a Toyota Cressida for 12 years previous to that. Those two cars are both incredibly comfortable and smooth riding cars so I would know when I am in a stiff riding car. Have you tried adjusting your seating position to alleviate the back issues. I find if I have the seat in too much of an upright position or if I pump up the lumber support i will have back problems. This would happen to me in any of my cars not just the ISF. I am most relaxed with a very pronounced seat back angle and zero lumber support. When I am in the mode for spirited driving I do straighten up the seat and set my driving position more like instructors tell you when you are at the track.
Old 07-27-17, 07:49 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by newgsman
I have a 2012 and I don't find the ride overly harsh. This is coming from someone that has been driving a GS400 for the past ten years and a Toyota Cressida for 12 years previous to that. Those two cars are both incredibly comfortable and smooth riding cars so I would know when I am in a stiff riding car. Have you tried adjusting your seating position to alleviate the back issues. I find if I have the seat in too much of an upright position or if I pump up the lumber support i will have back problems. This would happen to me in any of my cars not just the ISF. I am most relaxed with a very pronounced seat back angle and zero lumber support. When I am in the mode for spirited driving I do straighten up the seat and set my driving position more like instructors tell you when you are at the track.
It's well known that the 08-10 were far harsher than the 11+ models. I went from a G37S with 20" wheels with 30 sidewall and springs on harsher sport suspension, and it rode far smoother than my stock 08 F. My BC coils greatly improved it. Perhaps they are junky/on the lower end, but I would have sold the car otherwise if the ride hadn't been fixed. Sadly there were not too many potholes or RR crossings near the dealer as there are on my daily commute. Car is 99% a DD but ride can be stiffened for fun days within a minute.

Quick Reply: best coilovers and suspension mods.