Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help with RR Racing Air and Oil separator

how is it installed like this or this
Old 07-16-17, 10:36 AM
5280ISF
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine is installed like the first picture.... coming out of the aos and going into the pcv.

There is an image on RR's page that shows the hose exiting the right side of the AOS attaches to the PCV inlet.

http://www.rr-racing.com/Lexus-Air-O...isfaos0001.htm

Last edited by 5280ISF; 07-16-17 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-16-17, 11:37 AM
ISFTOMMY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 5280ISF
Mine is installed like the first picture.... coming out of the aos and going into the pcv.

There is an image on RR's page that shows the hose exiting the right side of the AOS attaches to the PCV inlet.

http://www.rr-racing.com/Lexus-Air-O...isfaos0001.htm
ok thank you im having a leaking problem with one of the connections so im guessing its just hooked up backwards.
Old 07-16-17, 12:10 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I hooked mine up as shown in the lower pic. When I got the car back from the dealer following their fpr recall work, the hoses were reinstalled as in your upper pic. I left it that way, and have not detected any leaks.

Does it matter which way the hoses are installed?
Old 07-16-17, 12:17 PM
Fivepoint0
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First I would find where the leak is coming from before anything else.
yea don't think it matters .
Old 07-16-17, 02:23 PM
ISFTOMMY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fivepoint0
First I would find where the leak is coming from before anything else.
yea don't think it matters .
we think the hose clamp was just not tight enough.
Old 07-17-17, 06:45 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Usually those air oil separators are one way in order to filter. double check that the PCV line from the crank case is going to the IN side and the OUT side line is going to the throttle body.
Old 07-17-17, 03:02 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by thedude23
how is it installed like this or this
I have mine set up as the second photo... I followed RR-Racing paper instructions that came with the kit to a tee... But it's proven me wrong because I too had a leak where you circled in red. I'm doubting if the instructions I followed were correct now...

Last edited by F Monster; 07-17-17 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-17-17, 04:55 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Hey, that second pic is my engine!!... So, yeah.. That's how I have it installed

BTW, that first pic is version 2 of the A/O separator, which uses a different canister. So, perhaps the flow through it is different. Though, my guess is it doesn't really matter..

OP, if Rafi doesn't see this thread & respond, send him a PM & ask him.

-Mike
Old 07-17-17, 11:19 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by F Monster
I have mine set up as the second photo... I followed RR-Racing paper instructions that came with the kit to a tee... But it's proven me wrong because I too had a leak where you circled in red. I'm doubting if the instructions I followed were correct now...
Im like yourself. Followed the instructions but in the 8 months or so ive had it installed, the gauge has barely moved (not track, only street driven but enthusiastically). Ive attached the pic that came with my instructions which resembles the OP's pic 2. However the circle in red (elbow) is where im having a slight leak, not much but its not dry and slightly oily/messy to touch but nothings is loose, its all tight. Got me stumped???
Attached Thumbnails Help with RR Racing Air and Oil separator-2017-07-18_161547.jpg  
Old 07-17-17, 11:23 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISF5L
Im like yourself. Followed the instructions but in the 8 months or so ive had it installed, the gauge has barely moved (not track, only street driven but enthusiastically). Ive attached the pic that came with my instructions which resembles the OP's pic 2. However the circle in red (elbow) is where im having a slight leak, not much but its not dry and slightly oily/messy to touch but nothings is loose, its all tight. Got me stumped???
I e-mailed RR-Racing earlier this month and found this out. It could have been two things in my scenario, it could have ever been too loose or the original method I used to install the kit using the paper instructions were incorrect. Let me elaborate:

"Last night before I had wiped the area, there was a small puddle of oil about the size of a tea spoon. So I did some research myself and saw that everyone in the "Anyone have experience with the RR Racing Air/Oil Separator" thread on ClubLexus had installed their tubes a bit different than mine. I followed the instructions that came with the kit (Picture #3) but in that thread, everyone had installed it differently even some of your own photos (Picture #4). So I figured today I would change it so it looks like everyone else's set up so I took out the gasket and pull the tubing down one notch. Hopefully that resolves my problems, I'll check on it for the next couple hundred miles. Anyways, thanks again for replying on a holiday, Happy 4th!"

My set up currently looks like the one in picture 5. My canister also has not accumulated any oil yet.. just leaks. We'll see in the next couple hundred miles, I don't track my car but we'll see.

Old 07-17-17, 11:32 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Hi F Monster, pic 5 i just want to confirm your setup as the pic has the canister part missing. So is your new current setup (pic 5) basically pic 4?
Mine is like pic 3 (which happens to be my instructions that came with it).
Old 07-17-17, 11:37 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Hi F Monster, pic 5 i just want to confirm your setup as the pic has the canister part missing. So is your new current setup (pic 5) basically pic 4?
Mine is like pic 3 (which happens to be my instructions that came with it).
The notch is what my current set up looks like, but now that you are mentioning it, my actual line set up is still the same as pictured in your instructions. The only thing I did differently was bring the the notch down one and so far no leaks..

Edit: Now I'm thoroughly confused... I don't know if mine is the newer version or the older one... I guess each version have their way of being set up.

Last edited by F Monster; 07-18-17 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-18-17, 06:05 AM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Originally Posted by F Monster
The notch is what my current set up looks like, but now that you are mentioning it, my actual line set up is still the same as pictured in your instructions. The only thing I did differently was bring the the notch down one and so far no leaks..

Edit: Now I'm thoroughly confused... I don't know if mine is the newer version or the older one... I guess each version have their way of being set up.
Im sure mine is the newer design as the 2 bolts holding the canister is different. I think the older design had some issues with screws working themselves loose over time/vibration etc. I just did what you did and regarding the notch but i really cant see how that would make much difference. Anyways time will tell lol, thanks for your pics which helped
Old 07-18-17, 09:40 AM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Im sure mine is the newer design as the 2 bolts holding the canister is different. I think the older design had some issues with screws working themselves loose over time/vibration etc. I just did what you did and regarding the notch but i really cant see how that would make much difference. Anyways time will tell lol, thanks for your pics which helped
No problem, maybe we both have the newest AOS kit, because mine also has the thumb screws. It could that ours is the newest so the instructions changed however it's weird that both of us had it tightened both notched but had leaks. Anyways, time will tell and maybe if an RR-Racing member could chime in.

Here's my current set up picture:

Last edited by F Monster; 07-18-17 at 11:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Help with RR Racing Air and Oil separator