IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Brake Replacement Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-19, 10:44 AM
HtownISF13
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Replacement Recommendation

So I finally got my hands on a 2013 IS F. Had dealer take a look at it and it's good to go. Front brake pads are 4mm and rotors are 28.5mm. Dealer is pushing replacement of pads and rotors. I believe rotors are okay until 28mm. Any thoughts on the pads? How many miles of average city driving do I have left?
Old 04-20-19, 12:24 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Start by reading this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...struction.html

Should answer your questions.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 04-20-19 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-20-19, 12:33 PM
HtownISF13
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That link is bad - links to spam website.

I've tried searching - plenty of info on here on rotors, not so much on pads.
Old 04-20-19, 12:39 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Try it again. Fixed.

Lou
Old 04-20-19, 12:40 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

The pads standard thickness is 9.8mm, with a minimum thickness of 1mm... You have some time left on the pads maybe 25% left, how
many miles that is for you is hard to say. The rotor standard thickness is 30mm, minimum is 28mm. Whenever you decide to do the pads
you should replace the rotors.
Old 04-20-19, 05:33 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Haven't read the link posted yet, but I would say, clear away from cross drilled rotors.
Old 04-21-19, 08:32 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 342 Likes on 216 Posts

Get some RR racing two piece rotors F+R and some Winmax 4 pads and your going to love the bite! If that’s to much for your liking just slap some duralast pads on.
Old 04-22-19, 07:56 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I’ve got some new Project Mu Type NS front pads for sale in the marketplace at a good discount if you are interested. These pads with the oem Brembo rotors are excellent IMO.
Old 04-23-19, 07:51 AM
rmillsISF
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheap project Mu pads here: https://www.jdmyard.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=USE20

It takes time to ship from Japan, but with the conversion rate it's dirt cheap!
Old 04-23-19, 07:51 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by rmillsISF
Cheap project Mu pads here: https://www.jdmyard.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=USE20

It takes time to ship from Japan, but with the conversion rate it's dirt cheap!
Mine came in this past weekend from Australia, not Japan. However it looks like I may have gotten one of the last sets. The NS400 for the ISF are no longer listed.
Old 04-23-19, 08:41 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^You most likely did. See Post #40 here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...natives-3.html

Lou
Old 04-25-19, 08:51 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I would honestly stick to stock rotors, they can be had for dirt cheap instead of the two-piece aftermarket, unless all you're going after is the bragging rights or you have noticed that stock rotors are not good enough for you, and stay clear from ProjectMU's, we've had some not-so-good experience with them, especially if you intend to put your car to track use. The ProjectMU's honestly only lasted me 1 track day, from brand new pads to no pads in 1 day and when I took them out, they basically fell apart, whereas my friend had them fail on the straight @ Summit Point coming into T1, he went off-site and hit the wall in his ISF and what looked like easy 50% of the pad left, just disappeared. (Based on Mike it probably has to do with too much heat in them, accelerating their demise)

I usually do 5-8 track days per season, mixed with some TT and I've now been tracking ISF for 5 years, pretty much settled on stock rotors, which I replace probably once a year and a mix of Carbotech's XP10's in the back and XP12's in front, so far's been working well for me, but if you're just going to daily it, XP8's should be a nice compound for the DD.
Old 04-25-19, 09:02 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bbong
and stay clear from ProjectMU's, we've had some not-so-good experience with them, especially if you intend to put your car to track use. The ProjectMU's honestly only lasted me 1 track day, from brand new pads to no pads in 1 day and when I took them out, they basically fell apart
You can't make a statement like that without telling us what model of PM pad you had. They make street pads, dual purpose pads and full track pads. Street pads should never be used on the track or they will do just what yours did.

Originally Posted by bbong
I would honestly stick to stock rotors,
I would never replace with stock rotors. The holes are prone to cracking, especially on the track. A slotted rotor is a much better choice.

Lou
Old 04-25-19, 09:51 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
You can't make a statement like that without telling us what model of PM pad you had. They make street pads, dual purpose pads and full track pads. Street pads should never be used on the track or they will do just what yours did.
They were the HC+800's, I'll never pickup another ProjectMU

I would never replace with stock rotors. The holes are prone to cracking, especially on the track. A slotted rotor is a much better choice.

Lou
At $210 for front replacement, they can crack all they can around the holes, dump them after the season and I have a brand new set for new season, I have never had them fail and cracks never connected, even when my GoPro clocked 4.5h of continuous track abuse @ open track event in one day.

Do you know of anyone that had cross-drilled rotors and they failed? I've heard this about cracking can potentially be dangerous, but only when cracks start to connect with others, now if you track the car, do you not check your brakes like a hawk? I do, but I was honestly dumbfounded by how quickly HC+800 disintegrated, I've gone through different brands and compounds, this was by far the scariest one, while I also expect my pads to last between 2-3 track days, depending on the track.

Last edited by bbong; 04-25-19 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-25-19, 10:33 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^The HC+800 is a dual purpose pad. If you are that tough on track days, IMHO, it would be wise if you had 2 sets of pads. Street or dual purpose pads for the street and dedicated track pads for the track. BTW, I run HC+800 pads on the rear and Ferodo DS2500 on the front. I don't do track days, but do drive aggressively. I have one piece slotted rotors on the front and am very happy with my brake systems performance.

Lou

Quick Reply: Brake Replacement Recommendation