Cold Air Intake mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-17, 03:48 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake mod

Hi guys.

I bypassed the brake duct and traveled an air duct under the headlight into the RR-Racing intake box. Both sides of the "cold air duct" are secured via an L clamp or bolt/nut.
From perusing the internet, similar mods resulted in up to 20 F drops in intake temps (upon WOT and/or high speeds).
This was a fairly easy and inexpensive mod.

The following 4 users liked this post by JDMV8:
bbong (08-20-19), Belshe1993 (08-22-19), Joker4096 (07-12-17), JPxMODz (07-11-17)
Old 07-11-17, 03:57 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Have you logged your iats yet to confirm? I can definitely see it working.
Old 07-11-17, 04:12 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joker4096
Have you logged your iats yet to confirm? I can definitely see it working.
I haven't put my hood, bumper, or lip on yet
but I will log it for sure and report back here soon enough.
Old 07-11-17, 04:12 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

That cool.
Old 07-11-17, 05:17 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

very cool. sub'd for updates.
Old 07-12-17, 12:00 AM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

this is pretty cool, just wondering how the brakes will get affected during heavy or hard braking
Old 07-12-17, 03:57 AM
veee8
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can this be done with the stock intake box?
Old 07-12-17, 05:37 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Nice work I'll be interested in the results with intake air temps..

Originally Posted by blackisF08
this is pretty cool, just wondering how the brakes will get affected during heavy or hard braking
I'm also wondering about this.. If it limits airflow to the brake, that wouldn't be good for me... I get my brakes too hot at the track as it is. In fact, I may try to improve my brake cooling with some similar custom duct work.

-Mike
Old 07-12-17, 06:16 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had considered doing something similar when we installed this intake a while back but never got around to it. I was going to eliminate the fog light rather then sacrifice brake cooling on one wheel. I suppose that if you don't do much heavy braking this approach would be fine too, just not for everyone.
I am also looking forward to seeing the resulting AIT data. Maybe a few runs on the same night with the tube open and a few with it blocked off would give a good comparison.

Originally Posted by mikersoft

I'm also wondering about this.. If it limits airflow to the brake, that wouldn't be good for me... I get my brakes too hot at the track as it is. In fact, I may try to improve my brake cooling with some similar custom duct work.

-Mike
Mike, here is a silicon tube that is specific to what you are trying to accomplish. You can even go as far as to modify the brake backing plates to accept the tubing.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...SABEgJC3_D_BwE
Old 07-12-17, 07:11 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft

-Mike
Actually, surprisingly the brake ducts dont do much. We eliminated the passenger side in order to fit the SC piping, and see no difference in rotor or pad wear. That might be because the 295 wide front tires block the duct outlet anyway In any case, there is no substitute for real brake ducts where the hose feeds to the center of the brake rotor.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 07-12-17, 07:15 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

BTW, those of you who drag race would benefit from this mod tremendously, especially if you install an inline brake duct fan that will actively blow air into the intake box while the car is not moving. When many dont realize is that when the car is not moving, it only takes a few minutes for intake air temps to creep way up, easily to the 150-160F range. So when you launch at that kind of IAT, the knock and IAT corrections will kill power. We sometimes get tuned cars disappointed with their 1/4 mile times in the summer... well, when your IAT's are in the 110F+ range, you cannot expect any tune to make power, the car will detonate and significantly knock back timing.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

The following 2 users liked this post by RRRacing:
Belshe1993 (08-22-19), Joker4096 (07-12-17)
Old 07-12-17, 07:49 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

I'm not worried about the brake cooling. For one, I didn't divert the whole duct to the intake away from the wheel well; and secondly, the brake cooling duct doesn't seem that efficacious in the first place; and finally, through anecdotal remarks from Rafi, he hasn't observed a noticable difference in brake wear/effectiveness after the SC install (deletes the duct).

This is a "real" brake cooling duct. The ISF ducts don't "lead" air anywhere really. Actually, it may be worth doing something like the above for the brake duct--Rafi, make us a dust shield with a 3" opening
Old 07-12-17, 07:51 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Originally Posted by veee8
Can this be done with the stock intake box?
There isn't really a point because the stock box is enclosed and is fed from the front snorkel (above the grill).
If you have an open element filter (RR, K&N, Takeda, Injen, etc) then I'd say this is most likely worth it
Old 07-12-17, 08:18 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
BTW, those of you who drag race would benefit from this mod tremendously, especially if you install an inline brake duct fan that will actively blow air into the intake box while the car is not moving. When many dont realize is that when the car is not moving, it only takes a few minutes for intake air temps to creep way up, easily to the 150-160F range. So when you launch at that kind of IAT, the knock and IAT corrections will kill power. We sometimes get tuned cars disappointed with their 1/4 mile times in the summer... well, when your IAT's are in the 110F+ range, you cannot expect any tune to make power, the car will detonate and significantly knock back timing.

Rafi
This is true, i had a horrible time at the track last year when i went because of this. I was down about 50 whp and IATs were over 140 due to idling in the staging lanes.
Old 07-12-17, 09:24 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Edit.......... double post

Last edited by MileHIFcar; 07-12-17 at 09:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake mod