IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

airbag light on after airbag recall

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-17, 04:19 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Default airbag light on after airbag recall

Hi everybody. I had my airbag recall done about 100 miles ago. Today I started up the car (not my daily driver) and the airbag light is on continuously. The error is B1866 for airbag open knee (passenger) squib.
Anyone have experience with this?

A few questions: what is removed in the airbag recall. Will it effect this? Could it just be a lose plug?
Where is the plug located?

I'm worried the dealer is just going to say it's not from their work and bill me.

I have a code reader that covers SRS and can reset once I find the problem.

Thanks in advance.
AA
Old 07-05-17, 05:16 PM
kudzuII
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not exactly the same

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Hi everybody. I had my airbag recall done about 100 miles ago. Today I started up the car (not my daily driver) and the airbag light is on continuously. The error is B1866 for airbag open knee (passenger) squib.

A few questions: what is removed in the airbag recall. Will it effect this? Could it just be a lose plug?

I'm worried the dealer is just going to say it's not from their work and bill me.

Thanks in advance.
AA
I went over a bump with my F a couple of years ago and the airbag light came on. I was going through a car wash . At the time I looked it up in the forums and it seemed that the wire harness could've been the culprit. I would think it's possible that something came unplugged. Do you know if they guarantee their work at all? If it was only 100 miles ago I would suspect that you'd be covered.
Old 07-05-17, 08:14 PM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Search the 2is forums, this is a common problem. I had this happen to me, the harness was coming slightly disconnected.. you can try to just push the connector back in place and that may work, worked for me but the light came back on. I put a few pieces of electrical tape on the connector to hold it in place and the light hasn't come back on in about a year
Old 07-06-17, 08:10 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for all the comments. So last night I pulled the kick panel on the passenger side, the passenger side cover between the dash and door and did some exploring. I followed the yellow harnesses and made sure they were all "plugged in tight" and not rubbing or pulling on anything. Nothing was obviously wrong. After I felt I had throughly checked it all I put it all back together. The light is off now but I'm not sure if it was from having the battery disconnected for 20 min or from actually fixing the problem. I guess I'll have to wait and see if the error comes back. I cancelled my appointment with the dealership for now. The scan tool I bought a few years back has now paid for itself several times over!
Old 07-06-17, 06:29 PM
Tom2769
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

What kind of scan tool do you have that includes the SRS module?
Old 07-07-17, 04:51 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tom2769
What kind of scan tool do you have that includes the SRS module?
Autel AL619 AutoLink ABS/Air Bag + OBDII Scan Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091DJWV0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Tv3xzbPVRYK8G
Old 07-07-17, 07:26 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Thanks for all the comments. So last night I pulled the kick panel on the passenger side, the passenger side cover between the dash and door and did some exploring. I followed the yellow harnesses and made sure they were all "plugged in tight" and not rubbing or pulling on anything. Nothing was obviously wrong. After I felt I had throughly checked it all I put it all back together. The light is off now but I'm not sure if it was from having the battery disconnected for 20 min or from actually fixing the problem. I guess I'll have to wait and see if the error comes back. I cancelled my appointment with the dealership for now. The scan tool I bought a few years back has now paid for itself several times over!
This is what I did as well. Just touching the connector seated it back enough to make the light not come on anymore.. until another hot day in the sun at work and the connector lost continuity again.. So thats when I just put some tape on the connector to give it a little extra hold.. and now its been a while with no problems. Sounds like this may be your issue as well.
On the 2is forums the guys say that the dealership fix for this is to simply replace the entire airbag harness in the dash for $2,000.. so I'm happy with my electrical tape fix.
Old 07-09-17, 10:49 PM
empathy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if the airbag light came on during the airbag recall, i don't see why they wouldn't cover it. it wasn't there before and it came on after they did the work.
Old 07-10-17, 08:23 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by empathy
if the airbag light came on during the airbag recall, i don't see why they wouldn't cover it. it wasn't there before and it came on after they did the work.
It looks like it was a loose connection at the knee airbag, however not one they would have directly touched to change the dash airbag. Moving things around in there is likely to have caused the clip to come loose a few days later but I guarantee the dealer (this one particularly doesn't seem to care about customer service and I have no history there because I just moved into the state) would pass it off as a new problem and charge me ~$150 for an hour of diagnosis and reseting the computer. After I fixed it myself in 20min I called to cancel my appointment to find the incompetent scheduler had even booked it for the wrong day. When I called they told me "everything is fine to drive, just bring it in." ignoring the fact that it is my understanding that when the light on the dash is on, the system is inoperable. After they told me to park my car for 9 months during the recall because it was unsafe to drive. ugh, so sick of incompetence.
Old 07-12-17, 01:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Everything is fine to drive. Just not going to deploy airbags if you crash. Crash != drive. Besides, do you really want a Mike Tyson punch to the face? Not me...
Old 03-27-18, 09:29 AM
socal3
Intermediate

My light just turned on yesterday. Did you guys remove the panel on the passenger side foot well panel? I did my airbag recall about 1 year ago but it's only been about 1,200 miles on the car since. The dealership close to me sucks also from my experiences with them Valencia Lexus.
Old 04-19-18, 08:43 AM
socal3
Intermediate

Sure enough searched the forums a little and disconnected my battery, removed the driver side panel where the knee airbag is located played with the wiring there a bit and saw how tight the yellow wire is in that location. Loosened up the connection hooked the battery back up and boom light off I've driven the car around 500 miles and still no light.
Old 04-20-18, 07:28 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

^^ socal3, this is essentially what I did as well. Just checked all the yellow wires and their connections, gave them a good push to snug them up and all was fine. I really feel the dealer changing the passenger airbag leads to this, but they will assume no responsibility. I correlated my light coming on to hitting a big bad expansion joint that made the whole car jump, and in an '08 it was hard.
Old 05-22-18, 10:38 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Everything is fine to drive. Just not going to deploy airbags if you crash. Crash != drive. Besides, do you really want a Mike Tyson punch to the face? Not me...
This was in the WSJ this morning. Thought it was funny

Lou
Old 08-31-18, 07:50 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 320 Likes on 137 Posts

Thanks in advance.
AA
i have same problem this week and i did the airbag recall too but i have is350 but not isf..

Quick Reply: airbag light on after airbag recall