IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Coolant level question

Old 12-11-17, 09:15 AM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

If its been leaking for a while, pink coolant residue should be easily seen with a bright flashlight on the passenger side of the back of the engine below all the wires and hoses. The first IS-F I checked out during my search had the leak and I was able to see it quickly from under the hood
Old 12-11-17, 09:37 AM
cvt
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by BlckGhst
If its been leaking for a while, pink coolant residue should be easily seen with a bright flashlight on the passenger side of the back of the engine below all the wires and hoses. The first IS-F I checked out during my search had the leak and I was able to see it quickly from under the hood
Yeah, I haven't seen anything like that. I used a flashlight and checked along the back / firewall side of the engine. I may just get a borescope from Amazon and check it out for a more thorough inspection.

My oil is clean, no "milky" texture so it's not a cracked head gasket...
Old 12-18-17, 09:59 AM
cvt
Racer

Ok. So I got my borescope (only $20 from amazon), linked it to my ipad and started going around the fire wall section of the engine bay and through the sides. Looked at the heat shields, top of transmission, below all the wires.....nothing. I've had to fill the coolant reservoir from low to high twice in the last 6 months.

Is there any other place I should look? Is this just evaporation? Spent at least 40min looking around and couldn't find any pink anywhere.

BTW- Great stocking stuffer for the holidays, the borescopes now are so cheap and so clear.
Old 12-19-17, 06:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Look way down in between the runners on the intake manifold. Hopefully, the borescope has a light to go with it, it's pretty dark in there.
Old 12-19-17, 07:03 PM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Look way down in between the runners on the intake manifold. Hopefully, the borescope has a light to go with it, it's pretty dark in there.
Can you show me in a photo or a diagram where exactly? My borescope does have LED lights and it’s pretty bright. Just need a point to any direction so I can diagnose this. Thanks again lobux
Old 12-19-17, 09:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post9601800

This post has some pretty clear pictures of where the pink crust shows up.
Old 12-20-17, 08:57 AM
cvt
Racer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post9601800

This post has some pretty clear pictures of where the pink crust shows up.
Are you referring to MileHIFcar's photos? Ok. I see what you are talking about now. I think I just need to get the engine cover off and maybe take the wiring harness out to look in between the runners. Although I'm scared to crack the wiring harness. They did the ELF tsb at 50k and they replaced it with a new one. It'd be a shame if I crack it myself...lol.
Old 12-20-17, 02:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

You should not need to remove the injector harness. I wouldn't do that unless I had no other choice.
Old 12-20-17, 02:27 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

WOW just had a look at Milehifcar that is a lot of coolant, like a lot of coolant leaks you open the hood and it stinks ( when its hot) good luck
Old 12-20-17, 03:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by BlckGhst
Just take it in buddy. It's leaking. Trust us .
Old 12-20-17, 03:37 PM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Just take it in buddy. It's leaking. Trust us .
I've taken it in and they couldn't find the leak (they inspected it and did a pressure test). That is why I got the borescope to check for myself. I'll check the intake runners like Lobux said but I need to find the leak first after Lexus has dismissed my case. It's not that I don't trust you guys. I WANT to find this leak and hope it IS the valley plate so that my warranty can cover it! lol
Old 12-20-17, 09:39 PM
cvt
Racer

So I looked around with a borescope in between the intake runners and couldn’t find anything. Spent almost 45min looking through each space between the runners.

What i I did find was some pink outside of the runners but not sure if this is Valley plate related. I took some shots so I can show you all what I mean and the location of where I found them. I’m not even sure what that part is. Any input I would appreciate it. Lobux, what do you think?
Old 12-20-17, 09:42 PM
cvt
Racer

Here is the wide shot
Not sure what that bolt is
Pink
Old 12-21-17, 05:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

That doesn't look like dried coolant. Not red enough. It would be below this.
Old 06-12-19, 02:02 AM
juliusdx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Most dealerships have no clue about the valley leak plate. In their defense, not all ISF's are plaugued with this issue. It's certainly not something they'll look for. If you haven't read through the valley leak plate threads, I highly recommend you do. One of our members illustrates how his dealership tech utilized a flashlight and a mirror to visually find the leak. It definitely came handy, along with all the posts members shared to state my case.

Hi, can you point me to the post about checking for the leak using mirror and lights? i can't find it anywhere..
thnks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant level question