IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone else running PPE headers and ISS DES exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-17, 12:14 AM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

is the des the loud version of the iss exhaust? just wondering because i currently have the ppe dual mode and with the valves open i am experiencing the same as you. i don't have resonators installed right now but i am wondering if that's what's causing the vibrations
Old 07-12-17, 04:40 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by blackisF08
is the des the loud version of the iss exhaust? just wondering because i currently have the ppe dual mode and with the valves open i am experiencing the same as you. i don't have resonators installed right now but i am wondering if that's what's causing the vibrations
The DES is not the loud version of the ISS exhaust. The QES version is.
Old 07-12-17, 05:03 PM
Tom2769
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by blackisF08
Yep, as soulfreak said, DES = quieter version. Interesting that you have the vibration with the dual mode valves open. But not when they are closed, I assume? Did you install your headers and dual mode exhaust at the same time? And if not, after which part was installed did the vibration start?
Old 09-17-17, 06:24 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

did you get this resolved? it could be that your exhaust is hitting the metal bracket at the back i removed mine cuz my exhaust was touching it ever so slightly causing some noise
Old 10-15-17, 04:21 PM
Tom2769
Driver

Originally Posted by ISF2NV
did you get this resolved? it could be that your exhaust is hitting the metal bracket at the back i removed mine cuz my exhaust was touching it ever so slightly causing some noise
No, not yet - work has been stupid busy lately. I should have time in Nov to get under there and check it out. I don't think it's hitting that rear bracket, but I'll check - thanks for the heads-up. If that's not it, my plan is to swap my stock exhaust back in temporarily just to make sure the noise is not being caused by the PPE headers. I need to check that first because the ISS DES sounded great with stock manifolds, and the noise started immediately after installing the PPE unequal length headers. I think it's a resonance caused by the combo of PPE + ISS DES. Assuming it's not caused solely by the headers, I plan on getting a Borla exhaust and selling the ISS DES...
Old 05-06-21, 08:18 PM
MartinsISF
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Old thread but same problem

Hey Tom, did you resolve this?

I just had equal length PPE headers installed on my 08 ISF with the same ISS DES and I'm having the same issue. There was always some drone with the ISS DES up to about 2200rpm. But I'm getting that rattling kinda feeling/noise in the mid rpm range. You mentioned it may be coming from that x pipe section, but it seems to me like it's coming right from the headers area. I'm having some hi flow cats put in soon so I'm hoping that will clean it up a bit. Otherwise it sounds glorious!
Old 05-08-21, 03:45 PM
Tom2769
Driver

Originally Posted by MartinsISF
Hey Tom, did you resolve this?

I just had equal length PPE headers installed on my 08 ISF with the same ISS DES and I'm having the same issue. There was always some drone with the ISS DES up to about 2200rpm. But I'm getting that rattling kinda feeling/noise in the mid rpm range. You mentioned it may be coming from that x pipe section, but it seems to me like it's coming right from the headers area. I'm having some hi flow cats put in soon so I'm hoping that will clean it up a bit. Otherwise it sounds glorious!
Martin, nice thread revival - haven't thought of the ISF in quite a while - sold it a couple years ago. I did resolve the issue, but probably not the way you want to hear. I removed the ISS DES exhaust and replaced it with a Borla exhaust and it completely resolved the issue. The Borla sounded good as well - not as good as the ISS, of course, but I didn't really miss the ISS after the swap...
Old 05-19-21, 06:01 PM
MartinsISF
8th Gear

Default PPE EL Headers + ISS Forged DES exhaust + GESI cats

An update on this for anyone else who might have the same setup, or thinking about it. I had some high flow GESI cats installed and it really did a great job addressing all my concerns with the headers installation. The sound is now SO MUCH better than before the cats were installed! The rattling and raspy sound are almost completely gone and the tone has changed to a more "exotic/sofisticated" sound. On top of that, the fumes are also down like 95%. So happy with this setup!
Old 05-19-21, 06:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Where did you get your GESI units, and which ones specifically did you get? I'm going to be going this route very soon, just want to know what works so I don't waste money on capacity I don't need.
Old 05-19-21, 09:23 PM
MartinsISF
8th Gear

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Where did you get your GESI units, and which ones specifically did you get? I'm going to be going this route very soon, just want to know what works so I don't waste money on capacity I don't need.
I bought the cheaper GESI 10025 high flow cats from RR Racing, along with the PPE headers. They are listed at about $260 for the pair. A bit more than Magnaflow ($200) but I heard those weren't too great, so I figured it was worth the extra money to get these.

​​​​​​They were just installed yesterday so I can't speak to how long they'll hold up, but they make the whole setup way more enjoyable.
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (05-19-21)
Old 06-22-21, 08:19 PM
LSpho
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

edit1: deleted comment wrong thread)

edit2: While this post was unintentionally bumped. Anyone have experience or ideas on how the ISF would do with a single exhaust?

I'm considering this but might look weird out the back with one exit on one side.

PPE UEL headers > 2 gesi cats > SINGLE 3 or 3.5" with mufflers and helmholtz resonators inline. (3.5" has the closest CFM to dual 2.5)

Last edited by LSpho; 06-22-21 at 08:32 PM. Reason: posted in wrong thread
Old 06-22-21, 08:24 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom2769
I purchased my ISF with the ISS DES exhaust installed on stock exhaust manifolds. I installed PPE headers a few months after buying the car. Ever since I installed the headers, I'm getting a resonance at around 2,500 rpm that sounds like a vibration or buzzing. It's present a couple hundred rpm on either side of 2,500 and is more pronounced when cold, less so when warm, but still there. Outside of that narrow rpm range, the exhaust is perfect and sounds incredible. When the sound is present, It sounds to me like the exhaust pipes themselves are resonating or vibrating at this particular rpm range. This is NOT drone - I had that too, but quelled it with side branch resonators and the muffler tip silencer inserts that some of the Borla guys discovered. I've done the following to try to find the source: replaced gaskets between headers and exhaust, replaced gaskets at the x-pipe, removed under-car heat shields. My next step will be re-installing the stock exhaust (provided by the prior owner) to see if that solves it and confirm it's not something specific to the headers themselves. But before I do that I wanted to reach out and see if anyone with the PPE and ISS DES setup also experienced this resonance?

I've run into a similar resonance issue on a Tacoma pickup I had with headers and a specific brand of aftermarket exhaust. The resonance on the Tacoma was eventually solved by adding a certain type of resonator at a certain point in the exhaust. There was a lot of trial and error in that solution, and it was arrived at by several forum members each trying different solutions until the one that worked was found. I'm not inclined to try multiple potential solutions (adding resonators here, adding cats there) without some indication of success by someone else before me. If I can't solve this, I've considered switching to a Borla exhaust and calling it a day. Anyone else have experience with this on a PPE/ISS DES setup?
happens with majority of exhaust systems in the isf, i experience this with borla and joe z, drone went away once i got a ppe dual mode