IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Joe z exhaust isf - drone... Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-17, 11:57 PM
DJN3
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joe z exhaust isf - drone... Wow!

Week ago decided to swap out my borla catback with oem muffler setup for the Joe z catback. Overall build quality and fitment was as expected but man the drone is horrid.

This is my daily and between 2-3k it's practically unbearable. At cruising speeds in 8th gear between 65-70... Awful. Maybe I was expecting more and set myself up to be disappointed.

Read through all the posts of other people's experiments of trying different options including side branch resonator, sound deadening, swapping back to oem mufflers.

Haven't decided if it's worth it to cut and weld side branch resonators in (seems like it would be a waste to chop it up)​ or if I should just sell the exhaust and go back to my previous setup.

If anyone in the bay area knows a shop that can do some tig welding, recommendations are greatly appreciated (if I go this route).
Old 06-13-17, 05:22 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Most likely it's the muffler design that causes the drone. You could try the side branch resonator option but I don't think you would effectively kill 100% of the drone. Best option would probably just to go a different route.
Old 06-13-17, 07:09 AM
DJN3
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Most likely it's the muffler design that causes the drone. You could try the side branch resonator option but I don't think you would effectively kill 100% of the drone. Best option would probably just to go a different route.
Not looking to kill all the drone but a portion would be nice. Especially around the 2k rpm area. That's the highway speed that I can't avoid.
Old 06-13-17, 08:25 AM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for posting. I wanted a JoeZ but I am also sensitive to drone.
Old 06-13-17, 08:44 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

BORLA!!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 06-13-17, 09:42 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

OP....^^^...........Everyone has subjective hearing for sure and some don't mind the Joe-Z drone, I for one didn't care for the drone associated with the Joe-Z and went with the Borla which to me was a lot better drone wise. Now when I put on headers the drone (PPE headers/Borla exhaust/no cats) to me sounded like the Joe-Z without headers. So I put on $18 worth of motorcycle silencers which got rid of 90+% of the drone on my FBO set-up

I don't know the thread exactly but a member here stumbled across them on Amazon and thank goodness they worked wonderfully!
Old 06-13-17, 11:29 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah I think its all case by case because I notice no drone with the joe z cat back. Coming from Cali cruising at 80ish, the cabin was silent almost, could barely even tell I had exhaust on the car at all. But then again maybe I'm not as sensitive to drone
Old 06-13-17, 12:01 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

In all honestly I had no issue with drone with Cat-less PPE Headers and Cat-less Joe-Z it was just perfect.

From what I've seen Borla is a slightly quieter but all other exhausts for the ISF seem way louder than the Joe-Z.
The following users liked this post:
YeShrug (04-23-19)
Old 06-13-17, 12:51 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
Yeah I think its all case by case because I notice no drone with the joe z cat back. Coming from Cali cruising at 80ish, the cabin was silent almost, could barely even tell I had exhaust on the car at all. But then again maybe I'm not as sensitive to drone
I think certain people might be deaf to certain frequencies and that is why some people say the drone is unbearable while other say it's completely silent.
Old 06-13-17, 12:56 PM
DJN3
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
Doing 80 in 8th gear you aren't in the "drone zone" for rpm.

​​​​​​there are normally ways to keep cars with exhaust to be quiet when you need to... Essentially the only way with this is to not move or put the engine under any kind of load.

When driving​ around for fun it's pretty nice, but commuting/ carting around non auto enthusiast, far from ideal

​​​
Old 06-13-17, 01:31 PM
Orthodoks
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
OP....^^^...........Everyone has subjective hearing for sure and some don't mind the Joe-Z drone, I for one didn't care for the drone associated with the Joe-Z and went with the Borla which to me was a lot better drone wise. Now when I put on headers the drone (PPE headers/Borla exhaust/no cats) to me sounded like the Joe-Z without headers. So I put on $18 worth of motorcycle silencers which got rid of 90+% of the drone on my FBO set-up

I don't know the thread exactly but a member here stumbled across them on Amazon and thank goodness they worked wonderfully!
Here is the thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-20-bucks.html
Thanks for bring up it up since I completely forgot about it. I installed Borla recently and its drone is a bit too much for me, I think I'll have to try this.
Old 06-13-17, 01:59 PM
DJN3
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Orthodoks
Here is the thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-20-bucks.html
Thanks for bring up it up since I completely forgot about it. I installed Borla recently and its drone is a bit too much for me, I think I'll have to try this.
Thanks for sharing the link. This is a pretty good and cheap idea, but the Joe Z is a single outlet on the muffler while the Borla/Magnaflow/ISS are all dual outlet. Not sure plugging/restricting the only exhaust outlet on the car is the best idea. I'd be interested to hear if anyone with the Joe Z has tried this DIY mod
Old 06-13-17, 02:10 PM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar

that was me that pioneered the motorcycle exhaust silencers, happy to hear they are working great for you too.
I'm still really happy with the Borla and silencers, its almost as quiet as stock on the highway, but still sounds mean at WOT
Old 06-13-17, 07:37 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

^^^^^^Yes Thank you! These have to be the best mods to save your ears when your FBO .........people are blown away when I tell them what they are and how much they cost as they look at me with a deer in the headlights look lol....
Old 06-13-17, 08:20 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Not sure if this is a brand new JoeZ exhaust that you installed...if it is, you need about 500 or more miles before it's "broken in" and it'll significantly reduce the drone that you hear. I had this problem when I first got my JoeZ and the drone was really bad when it was brand new. After a couple of weeks of driving, it significantly got much better. I now am full with PPE Headers and Magnaflow Cats and the car sounds awesome with very little drone IMHO.

Quick Reply: Joe z exhaust isf - drone... Wow!