IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Joe z exhaust isf - drone... Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-17, 04:07 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Yep, give it some time and it really quiets down.
Old 06-14-17, 05:01 AM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

YEs...^^^^^ what they both said. For a few weeks after installing my Joe Z, I was worried the drone was going to stay. Then after breaking it in...it toned down much more. Just installed PPE headers a month ago and the same thing - loud for a week or two and then toned down.
Old 06-14-17, 10:29 AM
DJN3
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Not sure if this is a brand new JoeZ exhaust that you installed...if it is, you need about 500 or more miles before it's "broken in" and it'll significantly reduce the drone that you hear. I had this problem when I first got my JoeZ and the drone was really bad when it was brand new. After a couple of weeks of driving, it significantly got much better. I now am full with PPE Headers and Magnaflow Cats and the car sounds awesome with very little drone IMHO.
Thanks for your reply. I've also considered this so i've been doing some more driving than I normally do and will plan a trip up and down the coast when the weather improves. I have my doubts that it will get that much better, but worth a shot. I'll give it a few 100 more miles and if no noticeable difference, will look to sell it or will get the helmholtz resonators mocked up and welded in.
Old 06-14-17, 11:42 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

My Borla took about 2 weeks to break in, which is about 500-700 miles for me. Give it a bit of time and report back. For what it's worth I love my Borla but have been curious about going Joez to have a little more bark. I cannot stand drone whatsoever though and Borla os only slightly annoying when around town in normal mode.
Old 06-14-17, 01:05 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DJN3
Thanks for your reply. I've also considered this so i've been doing some more driving than I normally do and will plan a trip up and down the coast when the weather improves. I have my doubts that it will get that much better, but worth a shot. I'll give it a few 100 more miles and if no noticeable difference, will look to sell it or will get the helmholtz resonators mocked up and welded in.
Just a 100 miles will not do...it took me close to 2 months of driving (roughly 600+ miles) before the drone improved. I spoke to JoeZ directly due to the drone issue when I first got the exhaust and he told me it's due to the fiberglass packing in the resonators and mufflers that need to get "broken in". It definitely does mellow down and the drone will go away, just keep driving and give it some time. Trust me, I've very sensitive to drone and I would have gotten rid of this exhaust a long time ago if the drone didn't improve. Now it just sounds so badass, especially with headers. Note however, the tone with the headers alone (without Magnaflow cats) was pretty bad and harsh, but the cats made the drone go away.
Old 06-14-17, 01:20 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Doing 80 in 8th gear you aren't in the "drone zone" for rpm.

​​​​​​there are normally ways to keep cars with exhaust to be quiet when you need to... Essentially the only way with this is to not move or put the engine under any kind of load.

When driving​ around for fun it's pretty nice, but commuting/ carting around non auto enthusiast, far from ideal

​​​
"drone zone", I like that haha

yeah I daily my ISF so to me, it was loud at first but only because I had it for about 6-7 months before I got exhaust so I was use to a quiet car. But after driving for a few hundred miles the exhaust broke in nicely and its a lot more tame now.

Even though I often wonder if the exhaust break in is a thing, or if you just get use to the sound after a couple hundred miles..
The following users liked this post:
DJN3 (06-14-17)
Old 06-14-17, 01:23 PM
DJN3
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Just a 100 miles will not do...it took me close to 2 months of driving (roughly 600+ miles) before the drone improved. I spoke to JoeZ directly due to the drone issue when I first got the exhaust and he told me it's due to the fiberglass packing in the resonators and mufflers that need to get "broken in". It definitely does mellow down and the drone will go away, just keep driving and give it some time. Trust me, I've very sensitive to drone and I would have gotten rid of this exhaust a long time ago if the drone didn't improve. Now it just sounds so badass, especially with headers. Note however, the tone with the headers alone (without Magnaflow cats) was pretty bad and harsh, but the cats made the drone go away.
Thanks for the reply. I'm not that sensitive to drone, or maybe I am getting more sensitive as I get older. I have owned/driven many straight piped cars from V8, inline 6s, flat 4 cylinder motors, etc etc (some turbo some n/a). This is by far the most drone and hardest to avoid (kinda hard to avoid 2k-2.5k rpm) =(

i'll give it some time and i'll do some extra recreational driving to hopefully speed up the process. Thanks everyone for the information, advice and encouragement. Cheers.
Old 06-14-17, 08:59 PM
supersonic
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

X-force exhaust has gotten very good reviews with almost no drone. That is what Im about to get soon. And for half the cost of these other exhausts, it is so worth it!
Old 06-17-17, 08:48 PM
sucabstunn
Driver School Candidate

I just swapped back to the oem exahust from a header back Borla and the interior sound is night and day. My car is so quiet and like a traditional luxury car again. Now to try and sell the car.
Old 06-21-17, 03:45 PM
DJN3
10th Gear

I'll circle back after I get to the 500 mile mark. Then I can provide a more well rounded view of how it has changed or not changed. Thanks everyone for all the info/advice/etc. Cheers
Old 06-22-17, 02:59 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthodoks
Here is the thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-20-bucks.html
Thanks for bring up it up since I completely forgot about it. I installed Borla recently and its drone is a bit too much for me, I think I'll have to try this.
Thanks so much for this! Going to give my new Borla cat-back, gutted pre-cats, and high-flow GESi's the ~500mi break-in everyone has recommended, but I know my g/f will still prefer it as quiet as possible (she even thought stock was loud, which coming from my stock IS350 and her stock IS250 is totally understandable), so I snagged a pair of these from Amazon for $10 shipped! So exciting to think that just like with my Ducati, five minutes and a hex wrench and I'm track/meet ready!!

Also, I plan to get her dyno'd after my RR Racing tune, so maybe I'll save one of my runs to put these in and see what kind of power loss we're looking at.
Old 07-14-17, 12:33 PM
DJN3
10th Gear

Circling back (700+ miles later)

The drone is still there. Overall sound of the exhaust has toned down a bit, but the drone has not disappeared. Part of me wants to believe because the car is automatic and not manual = the reason why I can't avoid the drone as easily. Unless you're driving like a pissed off teen (full throttle) or a senior citizen (partial to no throttle), you'll always have that drone with this exhaust that starts around 1500-2000 rpm.

Leaving it in sport mode helps a little but not enough to make it worthwhile. I'll give it another month before I decide if I want to flip this exhaust and go back to something more mature/tame.
Old 07-14-17, 01:36 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Circling back (700+ miles later)

The drone is still there. Overall sound of the exhaust has toned down a bit, but the drone has not disappeared. Part of me wants to believe because the car is automatic and not manual = the reason why I can't avoid the drone as easily. Unless you're driving like a pissed off teen (full throttle) or a senior citizen (partial to no throttle), you'll always have that drone with this exhaust that starts around 1500-2000 rpm.

Leaving it in sport mode helps a little but not enough to make it worthwhile. I'll give it another month before I decide if I want to flip this exhaust and go back to something more mature/tame.
Yeah honestly with the car being an auto, and a V8 to top it off, you have to expect some resonance. But that's like 45mph in 8th gear type thing then of course, but anything outside of that, it sounds quiet nice.

a lot more refined than other V8's honestly. my coworker has a newer 5.0L stang and that car with just a catback is significantly louder than the F(even though I like how burly that car sounds)
Old 07-14-17, 01:58 PM
KraziAzn
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not looking to kill all the drone but a portion would be nice. Especially around the 2k rpm area. That's the highway speed that I can't avoid.
the branch muffler will only eliminate a very specific range. I had it on mine and only killed the 2kish drone. but at 1.5k - 1.8k is terrible.
Old 07-14-17, 02:03 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Circling back (700+ miles later)......
............... I'll give it another month before I decide if I want to flip this exhaust and go back to something more mature/tame.
Did you try the MC "dB killer" type inserts? Mine came in the mail but my other mods have been priority before my drivetrain warranty expires... seems many have seen substantial improvement however, and it's 2 minutes to remove or re-install to suit your driving/passengers.

Quick Reply: Joe z exhaust isf - drone... Wow!