IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

A huge honor was shared with me

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-17, 07:30 PM
Apexsports
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Any idea how HARD it is to keep calm when you're anticipating/waiting for the green flag? Ever felt the cotton mouth, sore arms, mental exhaustion, and said "Crossed green and white. Thank GOD the race is half way over"? Ever been side by side with your competitor, racing for position, and see him spin off the track into the hillside? C'mon. Really? You're just getting started, you've got a whole lot of going fast to experience. You haven't even swapped paint or reached over and hit someone's kill switch...
Well said, or the meaning of the hugs you get from family members when you're safely back in the pits after an endurance race.
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (06-05-17)
Old 06-05-17, 07:41 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Literally watched the video today of you doing the 2013 run. Must have been sketchy driving in the wet yeah?

Originally Posted by knshro13
I am happy to see some passion and enthusiasm from I8ABMR but the need to talk down on owners not tracking their cars is completely unnecessary. Have I tracked my ISF? No. Quite honestly, I have better cars that are suited more for track days and racing. But I will tell you this. I have met, and personally know Yaguchi. How? Because I raced up Pikes Peak with the #8/9 ISF CCS-R in 2012 and 2013, taking the class win. And that was the sole reason why I bought my IS-F. Because I loved how it drove up the mountain.

A lot of us know what these cars are capable of. And alot of us stay silent because there is no need to boast about how many track days we've done. Sharing know-how and knowledge is what these posts should be about.

Your VLOGS are much appreciated by the community. The passion is what keeps the community alive.

Im on the left, and Yaguchi-san to the immediate right. Anyone recognize Bryan Uchida? Yes. Mr. Club Lexus himself.
knshro13 (06-05-17)
Old 06-05-17, 07:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Apexsports
Well said, or the meaning of the hugs you get from family members when you're safely back in the pits after an endurance race.
Indeed. Or seen your wife's tears after someone close to you has met an untimely end on track, and she's begging you not to drive again today.
Apexsports (06-05-17)
Old 06-05-17, 08:41 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Man, you guys got deep. You bring up some solid memories. Nothing can compare to a wheel to wheel race, I especially like endurance. Like Lobux says it is hard to explain the beating and mental strain you take. It's great but at the same time so many emotions are going on. One thing I remember is after going for 2 continuous hours for the first time and I began to literally daze off, later realizing, I'm literally driving in a race and I can't even focus and had to pull myself together. It's crazy when everything works and your car holds up, the pit stops go to plan and drivers are consistent, then you actually win and realize all the effort and tears that went into it. Even if you don't win it's awesome to find that rival in the race and have your own little mini battle.
Apexsports (06-06-17)
Old 06-05-17, 09:28 PM
Apexsports
Pole Position

I am happy to see some passion and enthusiasm from I8ABMR but the need to talk down on owners not tracking their cars is completely unnecessary. Have I tracked my ISF? No. Quite honestly, I have better cars that are suited more for track days and racing. But I will tell you this. I have met, and personally know Yaguchi. How? Because I raced up Pikes Peak with the #8/9 ISF CCS.
I was there in 2013 with team Wfo Racing and rooting you on. Kudos to you sir.

Indeed. Or seen your wife's tears after someone close to you has met an untimely end on track, and she's begging you not to drive again today.
Reflecting on that, this was heading toward turn 8 at big Willow in the late 80's. You're pinned out of 6 and through the kink in 7 so it's safe to say I didn't walk away from this one. Strangely, it happened due to someone crossing in front of me leaving nowhere to go, during a riding school of all places. With the layout at Willow as vast as it is my mom and girlfriend at the time knew it was me through the PA but were in the pits approx a mile from the site of the crash. It's kind of like, ok let's talk when you've put your family through thinking you're no doubt dead, or at the very least in a vegetative state, all due to your love of motorsports. Then continue doing it afterwards. It can be serious business at times.

Last edited by Apexsports; 06-06-17 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Photo
The following 2 users liked this post by Apexsports:
knshro13 (06-05-17), lobuxracer (06-06-17)
Old 06-06-17, 12:22 AM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

It's best to just ignore him when he gets up on his soap box and talks about how awesome he is because he tracks his car. This isn't the first time.... and unfortunately it definitely won't be the last.
So many great people here with so much experience...yet they still manage to stay humble. However, there will always be "that one guy"....
flowrider (06-06-17)
Old 06-06-17, 06:36 AM
GermanF
Rookie

Received 86 Likes on 28 Posts

Yaguchi-san is a disappointment to me. I specifically asked for light weight and adjustable alignment as critical features for future F cars. Apparently it fell on deaf ears as the LC series are even more mass, and still have zero adjustability for basic alignment specs. Lexus is not listening, and they're giving away F cars because they are missing the fundamentals. Any time you get 25% off list price, it is a bad day for the manufacturer, and we got our GS F for $66.1k on a $87.7k sticker. Missing the mark. Period.

Glad they made the IS F. At least it's not as critically crippled as the later models.
Yaguchi-San is retired, he wasn´t involved in the development of the ne LC, also the LC500 has nothing to do with the F models.
He was involved in the LFA,IS-F, RC-F and GS-F, which were the first F cars available, and he did a great job on this cars.
Also this guy has visited us in Germany on his own costs, it wasn't a businesstrip sponsored by someone.

So no disappointment at all, even if I have to agree with you in some points.

And Tammer is a true fanatic, sure, some of you prefer to stay humble and undercover, even with so much experience with the F models.
But please don`t forget that exactly this is the typical Lexus problem, at least here in Germany, if you are too humble nobody will ever know about the true quality of this great cars.
F the Track site is the only site with great information and good pictures about the F models, I dont think that any "official" Lexus site is better, especially for all the guys out there from other countries.
Old 06-06-17, 07:38 AM
kings222
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice! I'm buddies with rob alon who races the rcf gt3 cars. If you want maybe i can get you something signed.
Old 06-06-17, 08:57 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

The problem is not just humility, the problem is eye-rolling condescension. Insisting that you've got to track the F to be a true owner of the car is just... hell... it's all been said already. Screw it.

I8ABMR - didn't you previously state that you don't do any of the work on your car? I haven't tracked my ISF, but I've done quite a bit of work on it. Me and me alone. What's that make me? What if I said you're a complete schmuck on wheels if you don't work on your own car? That you'd be missing the experience? That'd be - hopefully you guessed it - ridiculous.

Do you not see you're just being incessant with this talk? Do you deliberately surround yourself with lessers in real life that condone and repeatedly pat you on the back for this? You've been told post and post again. This is "art of conversation" feedback that may help you in the real world. Perhaps in your chosen circle you just don't need it.
The following 4 users liked this post by Quadrphnia:
Apexsports (06-06-17), flowrider (06-06-17), kings222 (06-07-17), lobuxracer (06-06-17)
Old 06-06-17, 09:01 AM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I am happy to see some passion and enthusiasm from I8ABMR but the need to talk down on owners not tracking their cars is completely unnecessary. Have I tracked my ISF? No. Quite honestly, I have better cars that are suited more for track days and racing. But I will tell you this. I have met, and personally know Yaguchi. How? Because I raced up Pikes Peak with the #8/9 ISF CCS-R in 2012 and 2013, taking the class win. And that was the sole reason why I bought my IS-F. Because I loved how it drove up the mountain.

A lot of us know what these cars are capable of. And alot of us stay silent because there is no need to boast about how many track days we've done. Sharing know-how and knowledge is what these posts should be about.

Your VLOGS are much appreciated by the community. The passion is what keeps the community alive.

Im on the left, and Yaguchi-san to the immediate right. Anyone recognize Bryan Uchida? Yes. Mr. Club Lexus himself.
knshro13 - cool stuff.

I8ABMR - keep it up and thanks for sharing
Old 06-06-17, 02:34 PM
Apexsports
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Piston1047
Man, you guys got deep. You bring up some solid memories. Nothing can compare to a wheel to wheel race, I especially like endurance. Like Lobux says it is hard to explain the beating and mental strain you take. It's great but at the same time so many emotions are going on. One thing I remember is after going for 2 continuous hours for the first time and I began to literally daze off, later realizing, I'm literally driving in a race and I can't even focus and had to pull myself together. It's crazy when everything works and your car holds up, the pit stops go to plan and drivers are consistent, then you actually win and realize all the effort and tears that went into it. Even if you don't win it's awesome to find that rival in the race and have your own little mini battle.
Cool to read your experience. It's interesting the phases your mind go through during the course of an endurance race. Getting into a rhythm where you literally feel out of body, especially during the 2nd half.

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
The problem is not just humility, the problem is eye-rolling condescension. Insisting that you've got to track the F to be a true owner of the car is just... hell... it's all been said already. Screw it.

I8ABMR - didn't you previously state that you don't do any of the work on your car? I haven't tracked my ISF, but I've done quite a bit of work on it. Me and me alone. What's that make me? What if I said you're a complete schmuck on wheels if you don't work on your own car? That you'd be missing the experience? That'd be - hopefully you guessed it - ridiculous.

Do you not see you're just being incessant with this talk? Do you deliberately surround yourself with lessers in real life that condone and repeatedly pat you on the back for this? You've been told post and post again. This is "art of conversation" feedback that may help you in the real world. Perhaps in your chosen circle you just don't need it.
Well put, there's a big difference between passion and condescension, especially when the latter is unwarranted through lack of experience. I think OP will look back and have to laugh one day at the "I set a new world record" type posts, etc.

Sort of back on topic, it's great that you may get Yaguchi's autograph one day OP. If anything, at least this thread opened up some real discussion on trackday experiences.
Piston1047 (06-06-17)
Old 06-06-17, 03:19 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I can't speak from experience on the road course outside a few HPDE's. I parted out my turbo integra after getting it setup for the road course due to buying an NSX, then sold the NSX prior to ever getting to take it on the track lol. Fail.

Autocrossed and 1320'd the crap out of that integra though. Built myself making 393whp/300wtq on pump, non VTEC LS with a stock bottom end haha. SOB lasted 4 years fed 18psi till the day I sold it off. 2552lbs wet
Old 06-06-17, 06:13 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Man, you're so lucky. I wanted him to autograph my dash.
Old 06-06-17, 06:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Apexsports
...Reflecting on that, this was heading toward turn 8 at big Willow in the late 80's. You're pinned out of 6 and through the kink in 7 so it's safe to say I didn't walk away from this one. Strangely, it happened due to someone crossing in front of me leaving nowhere to go, during a riding school of all places. With the layout at Willow as vast as it is my mom and girlfriend at the time knew it was me through the PA but were in the pits approx a mile from the site of the crash. It's kind of like, ok let's talk when you've put your family through thinking you're no doubt dead, or at the very least in a vegetative state, all due to your love of motorsports. Then continue doing it afterwards. It can be serious business at times.
That was when I was working at Grizzly Performance in Sacramento building engines and bikes for road racers. Paul Vogel owned the shop - bought it from Craig Hansen - and we made a few trips to the big track. His Suzuki 1000 set a trap speed record on the front straight at 155 mph beating out Yoshimura's (in)famous Tornado because he had a box section seat with better aero...ah, those were the days. And the 24 hours there were just plain nuts. Of course that's slow now. I had more than one good friend visiting the hospital with very serious injuries back in those days and lost a few friends as well. Can't go fast and not fall down from time to time. But explaining that to the wife/girlfriend, well, that never goes easily.
Apexsports (06-08-17)
Old 06-06-17, 07:37 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,118 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Ok folks, closing this thread. Way too much personal commentary from both the OP and in many responses.
isfvss (06-09-17)