IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2017-05-21 - Lexus ISF @ Pocono Mega 3.5mile Group C

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-17, 03:20 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2017-05-21 - Lexus ISF @ Pocono Mega 3.5mile Group C

You guys probably are getting tired of my videos, but what the hell, I want to share how lucky and unique all of us are owning such a great machine. I can't stress enough how great this car is. Not sure how many of you know, but I've had and tracked other cars in the past, STI @ 530whp and Evo9 @ 420whp, both great cars but I would never trade the F for any of them, even if I was being given both of them for the ISF.

I've owned the F for 3 years now and every year I do around 5-8 track days; the only thing I had to fix in it... is nothing, surely I upgraded few parts as the car was growing on me and I wanted to go faster and usual fluid and rubber changes, yearly brake flush and I have not changed the coolant yet, I guess I should, though I added one bottle of Water-Wetter to it.

These events are track days, so some people are pushing it, some not, it's hard to compare and judge, in many cases in my opinion only, these folks do not belong in the groups they're running or I shouldn't be there. I've started with NASA and been in DE1 for about 3 years, not wanting to move over to Solo (DE2) and switching instructors, this proved to be a wise decision as they've knocked into my head things over and over and I will never forget that, I friended couple instructors and I usually am being asked to stay after track day to run Timed Laps with Instructors @ NASA events, that's very cool and I appreciate that they trust someone in DE3 to run with them

I'm no expert either, when I watch these videos I can point out errors I make, but it's not always easy to spot them when you're behind the wheel enduring the G's, speed and have your eyes wide open watching your surroundings, videos don't do it justice, this is the last session of the day (Well I could have stayed for the Triangle run at high speeds but my tires were really done), it's a 3.5 Mile configuration, so unlike previous NJMP Thunderbolt experience, this car and me love that configuration. We've had a lot of Lexus's show up from 350F's, ISF's to RCF's. RR Racing was there with their Supercharged F and there was a beautiful Supercharged RCF, plus my favorite Lexus buddy from this forum and from track Mike (Hello Mike!), but noone wanted to run Group C with me, I was saddened and Rafi from RR Racing had to leave early.

This day I also had a data freak, that would download my telemetry and GPS data, go with me to the classroom and analyze each corner, speed, rpm, entry and exit -- all this has transformed from me running best lap of 2m45s to 2m38s, that's 7sec improvement towards the end of the day and repeating this feat 3 times until being blocked and slowed by some late point-by'er, my tires were also worn out; there's virtually no tread left on the R888's and I need a new rubber, there's lots of passing in the video, the STI was quick and if you look at his line, it's totally different, what I would take when I had the STI, but anyway, enjoy the video for those that are much more experienced than me, please point out what I'm doing wrong I look forward to the feedback and for everyone from Lexus community that was there, please post pictures and videos if you have any.

Telemetry kicks in after first lap, the temperature bar is in celsius ranging scaled from 80-110C

The following 2 users liked this post by bbong:
2URGSE (05-25-17), mikersoft (05-26-17)
Old 05-25-17, 04:30 PM
ap2s2k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Amazing, just watched it on my 60" plasma, that's a fast track no doubt, nice driving skills too.
How do you like your R888 ? How many track days were you able to get out of them? I've seen you broke some traction in a turn and I know you said you killed the tires but just wondering how do they stack up to Pirelli trofeo's.
Old 05-25-17, 05:52 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Glad you're having a good time with the car. Another Ex-STi owner here. Also driven quite a few Evo 8's, 9's and 10's.
Old 05-25-17, 06:52 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Reading about how the data accumulated helped your lap times is a great way to see where you as a driver can improve on the track. Great work. The video was amazing to watch. The first part of your post was something I always try to reiterate to friends going to the track with me- it's not about seeing which car can go out and beat another. Some will push their cars to the limits, while others are still learning as they go along. There's not a bad approach either way, but it shouldn't be about bravado or competition. Glad you're enjoying your F to the max!
Old 05-26-17, 05:20 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for the compliment, Tom! It was good to see you again. Next time, we need to pit closer together so we can talk shop more between sessions. Also, LMK when you want to hit some tracks down here in VA.

Great video! You're killing it... My sessions are looking like a relaxed Sunday drive in comparison!

However, I think you should add an external mic with a dead cat to make your videos even better. I recommend this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015R0IQGW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015R0IQGW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I added an extended cable & put the mic under the driver's seat. It cuts down on wind noise, plus it enhances the engine sound.

-Mike

Group B was packed that day

Last edited by mikersoft; 05-26-17 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-26-17, 08:39 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ap2s2k
Amazing, just watched it on my 60" plasma, that's a fast track no doubt, nice driving skills too.
How do you like your R888 ? How many track days were you able to get out of them? I've seen you broke some traction in a turn and I know you said you killed the tires but just wondering how do they stack up to Pirelli trofeo's.
I did the same, but as Mike mentioned below, I need an external Mic, he always points me at new gadgets and I get them. Honestly I've not tried Trofeo's yet, but I don't see R888's being available on Tirerack anymore, they were really bargain compared to Trofeos, I got them for $220 a pop, I see Trofeos are well over $300. I liked the R888's, really grippy tire, but I overheated them few times which is visible in the video, especially when coming out of the long turn onto the long straight, if my speed drops below 70mph, then I know the tires are overheated and I need to take it easy. I got them from Tirerack last year but I went with Heat Cycle and Shaving option, they were grippy from the first day out. Lasted about 4 track days with my style of driving, I'm sure if you take it easy, they'll last much longer.

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Glad you're having a good time with the car. Another Ex-STi owner here. Also driven quite a few Evo 8's, 9's and 10's.
Of Course, but I went the wrong way, modded the hell out of it (Ron @ Raw1Performance) built my motor, slapped on big turbo, IC, Injectors, Standalone and started tracking my car, first time ever and first session I spun out on the big-bent @ Lime Rock and went out on green top with all 4, so I lowered the boost to only Wastegate pressure, lost gobs of power, but car was much more manageable. You and I know how it is coming from these little cars into NA V8, would never go back at this time

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Reading about how the data accumulated helped your lap times is a great way to see where you as a driver can improve on the track. Great work. The video was amazing to watch. The first part of your post was something I always try to reiterate to friends going to the track with me- it's not about seeing which car can go out and beat another. Some will push their cars to the limits, while others are still learning as they go along. There's not a bad approach either way, but it shouldn't be about bravado or competition. Glad you're enjoying your F to the max!
Exactly, lots of people learn the line, observe the surroundings, get the feeling for the car, spot the flaggers or just get instructors to show them the line, early sessions can be frustrating when I'm going for time, so I try to get the feeling for the car, tires and conditions. Dial in tire temperatures and when people start dispersing towards the end of the day, that's when you can really open it up. The Data Guy is amazing and if we stick together, I'm sure it'll only push me further. He brought some killer logging tools and equipment, but we partied day before and did not get much time to set it up, so he had to do with crappy 1Hz logging samples. It was cool seeing him anticipating the data when I was pitting in, like a child with a lollypop *Waves at Marcin*

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Thanks for the compliment, Tom! It was good to see you again. Next time, we need to pit closer together so we can talk shop more between sessions. Also, LMK when you want to hit some tracks down here in VA.

Great video! You're killing it... My sessions are looking like a relaxed Sunday drive in comparison!

However, I think you should add an external mic with a dead cat to make your videos even better. I recommend this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I added an extended cable & put the mic under the driver's seat. It cuts down on wind noise, plus it enhances the engine sound.

-Mike

Group B was packed that day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVhIvgh4xCc&t
I saw that also enjoyed reading your comments, I wish I could be that smooth, I'm too aggressive with the steering wheel, but I only respond to what the car tells me! I do exactly the same, when I'm in the train I let everyone just pass me, regardless if I'm faster or they are, let them go and then I'll PIT IN, show the guy that I need space and he'll release me right back out when the train leaves and then I can have some fun.

True, we should pit closer and chat more, you always have nice gadgets that I usually then go and buy, I will get the mic next, because with the windows down the wind can be annoying to the microphone as seen in the video. I want to hit Virginia tracks, but I have so much planned for this season already that I'm unsure I'll be able to squeeze it, however, we should plan for One Lap Of America this decade
Old 05-26-17, 10:37 AM
ap2s2k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=bbong;9878804]I did the same, but as Mike mentioned below, I need an external Mic, he always points me at new gadgets and I get them. Honestly I've not tried Trofeo's yet, but I don't see R888's being available on Tirerack anymore, they were really bargain compared to Trofeos, I got them for $220 a pop, I see Trofeos are well over $300. I liked the R888's, really grippy tire, but I overheated them few times which is visible in the video, especially when coming out of the long turn onto the long straight, if my speed drops below 70mph, then I know the tires are overheated and I need to take it easy. I got them from Tirerack last year but I went with Heat Cycle and Shaving option, they were grippy from the first day out. Lasted about 4 track days with my style of driving, I'm sure if you take it easy, they'll last much longer.

Thanks for your feed back on r888. Two weeks ago I went to the track and drove with my brothers new GT350 on a square 305's setup of trofeos. I was shocked and amazed on the amount of grip he had with this thing, I mean, he took corners, turns with such an unbelivible grip, I honestly almost throw up after first lap LoL!!! It's like a roller coaster on wheels. Recaros are nicely holding you in place but your internal organs are flying around your gut, no joke lol.
Must be bc I was a passanger too, different experience I guess.
Anyway, you got some mad skills there on that track!!!
Old 05-26-17, 12:40 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bbong
I did the same, but as Mike mentioned below, I need an external Mic, he always points me at new gadgets and I get them. Honestly I've not tried Trofeo's yet, but I don't see R888's being available on Tirerack anymore, they were really bargain compared to Trofeos, I got them for $220 a pop, I see Trofeos are well over $300. I liked the R888's, really grippy tire, but I overheated them few times which is visible in the video, especially when coming out of the long turn onto the long straight, if my speed drops below 70mph, then I know the tires are overheated and I need to take it easy. I got them from Tirerack last year but I went with Heat Cycle and Shaving option, they were grippy from the first day out. Lasted about 4 track days with my style of driving, I'm sure if you take it easy, they'll last much longer.

Of Course, but I went the wrong way, modded the hell out of it (Ron @ Raw1Performance) built my motor, slapped on big turbo, IC, Injectors, Standalone and started tracking my car, first time ever and first session I spun out on the big-bent @ Lime Rock and went out on green top with all 4, so I lowered the boost to only Wastegate pressure, lost gobs of power, but car was much more manageable. You and I know how it is coming from these little cars into NA V8, would never go back at this time

Exactly, lots of people learn the line, observe the surroundings, get the feeling for the car, spot the flaggers or just get instructors to show them the line, early sessions can be frustrating when I'm going for time, so I try to get the feeling for the car, tires and conditions. Dial in tire temperatures and when people start dispersing towards the end of the day, that's when you can really open it up. The Data Guy is amazing and if we stick together, I'm sure it'll only push me further. He brought some killer logging tools and equipment, but we partied day before and did not get much time to set it up, so he had to do with crappy 1Hz logging samples. It was cool seeing him anticipating the data when I was pitting in, like a child with a lollypop *Waves at Marcin*

I saw that also enjoyed reading your comments, I wish I could be that smooth, I'm too aggressive with the steering wheel, but I only respond to what the car tells me! I do exactly the same, when I'm in the train I let everyone just pass me, regardless if I'm faster or they are, let them go and then I'll PIT IN, show the guy that I need space and he'll release me right back out when the train leaves and then I can have some fun.

True, we should pit closer and chat more, you always have nice gadgets that I usually then go and buy, I will get the mic next, because with the windows down the wind can be annoying to the microphone as seen in the video. I want to hit Virginia tracks, but I have so much planned for this season already that I'm unsure I'll be able to squeeze it, however, we should plan for One Lap Of America this decade

Nice video man, I like your idea of doing the One Lap, I think the ISF would be a cool platform. I have been wanting to do that for years. My old Toyota team I used to race with does it now with a FRS and Avalon. If you guys want to do this, I'm down!
Old 05-26-17, 05:39 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Piston1047
Nice video man, I like your idea of doing the One Lap, I think the ISF would be a cool platform. I have been wanting to do that for years. My old Toyota team I used to race with does it now with a FRS and Avalon. If you guys want to do this, I'm down!
We should definitely talk about this, I'm interested too.
Old 05-31-17, 06:57 AM
jeffery305
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn good driving right there! I would love to do this sometime
Old 06-02-17, 12:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Very very cool !! Good stuff . That's how you drive an ISF. Wish we had more drivers here and less commuters. Thanks for sharing. Many don't realize the time, cost, and passion involved in doing these events. Lmao they think we are showing off, but they want to tell us all about their new headers, wheels, or bulbs Keep it up and F THE TRACK

I am doing AutoClub Speedway next weeks. Same layout. Should be fun !

Last edited by I8ABMR; 06-02-17 at 12:32 PM.