IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Looking at a 2008 ISF, what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-17, 08:19 PM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Looking at a 2008 ISF, what do you guys think?

I ran into a 2008 Lexus F at a local dealership and they are asking $31k and wondering if you guys think it is a fair deal or what should I offer for this vehicle?

The good:
2 owners
-very low Miles for 2008 @ 46k miles
-pretty extensive service history, every 5k or 3 months at the stealership from 1st owner, 2nd owner barely drove the car
-completely stock
-inside was kept very well looks new

the bad
-exterior paint is decent. I suspect front and back bumper was repainted. Few scratches on 2 doors
-blown ml subwoofer
-been in an accident according to CARFAX (is there anyway to find out how bad?)
-I was hoping to find mercury metallic but this one is usb

now I was really hoping to find a 2011 for the led head lights and LSD. But I feel this one has been taken care of very well and the 2 owners barely drove the car and it's been in California all its life.

what do you guys think is a fair offer for this car? And is there any way to find out how bad the accident is?

kbb fair value is about asking price 30,700 and carfax's history based value is 27,100.

Last edited by aznKewlguy; 05-17-17 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-17-17, 11:09 PM
cjblair
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's way overpriced.

I bought my '08 last year with ~50k miles (~80k kms, I'm in Canada). Full dealership service history since the 10k mark. Paint in very good condition (a couple small rock chips where the 3m ends). No accidents. 3m on hood/bumper/fenders/rear bumper. The only things wrong with it are a tiny scratch on Nav screen and slightly bent exhaust tip from previous owner backing into something (barely bent, probably only 3/8" out of whack). I paid 26,500CAD.

The CA ISF market must be crazy. Knowing what I paid for mine, the one you posted sounds like a 15k USD car for me. If it's got a blown sub, scratched paint, and accident history, that doesn't strike me as a car that's been taken care of very well at all.

Given that my 15k price is half what the dealer is asking, they'll laugh you right out the door if you offer that. I'd suggest taking the carfax history based value, then subtract the cost to replace the sub and repair the paint on the doors (dealership quotes, to maintain the full service history)... maybe you'll be happy paying that much?

But seriously, if you think you're ready to spend 30k USD for an '08, pm me. I'd fly you to Canada if you'd pay me that for my car, which sounds like it's in way better shape than the one you're looking at.

Just my 2c.
Old 05-18-17, 12:21 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Yes, that vehicle is over priced, but I wouldn't say "way" over priced. I'd probably pay $25k-$26k for it based off the info you posted.
For $30-$33k, you should be able to find a 2011 with under 50k miles on it in good shape. Definitely may have to travel a bit to find it and will require some patients. But again, not a horrible deal on the one you're looking at, but definitely can do much better (either get an '11 for around that same price, maybe even an higher mileage '12 or '13 for close to that price, or either talk them down $3-5k on the car you're currently looking for).
Good luck!

V.
Old 05-18-17, 07:22 AM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

Thank you guys. I've slept on it and you guys aren't probably right. I've been patient and will continue to search for 2011+ In MM
Old 05-18-17, 07:48 AM
Jondls33
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

13 months ago I bought my 2011 with 46k miles for 34.5k, 2 owners, no accidents here in CA. I looked for over a year. I really wanted 2011+ for the same reason. LED and LSD with of course Bluetooth. Almost settled on a 09 after 6 months of looking, good thing I waited and didn't settle. Car makes me smile everyday. be patient and I'm sure you'll come across the perfect car that'll suit you
Old 05-18-17, 07:56 AM
JPxMODz
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Correct if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure 2010 IS-F come with Torsen Limited-Slip Differential
Old 05-18-17, 10:25 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

yeah I wouldn't say way overpriced, but high for a 2008 even with the lower miles. if I'm going to pay 30k, I'm looking at 2010+
Old 05-18-17, 11:41 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by cjblair
The CA ISF market must be crazy.
Come to IL if you want to see overpriced ISFs... unreal. And I'm tellin' ya, if the car makes it to the internet, they will not negotiate. I had cash in hand on an 11 I looked at and after half an hour they said "mayyybe we can go down 500..." I walked and the car sold two days later.
Old 05-18-17, 11:54 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Yea, gotta realize how few there are across the country for sale (out of the 5,100 made) and few of the ones for sale are actually in good shape....and how many hundreds, if not thousands of people are looking for them. They don't last long and not a lot of time for negotiations. Some people aren't patient and don't want to wait, nor travel to get a vehicle, so if an F pops up, regardless of year, they want it.

V.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vitveet:
2URGSE (05-19-17), jdmSW20 (05-22-17)
Old 05-18-17, 12:05 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

To the OP, an 08 example that's well maintained can fetch for a little less than that listing. That being said, there's nothing wrong with waiting a little bit longer and seeing what else pops up. I've noticed the IS F used market supply tends to fluctuate a tad, but there are some great gems to be had. Timing and patience are key. No disrespect to anyone who has purchased an F or any vehicle after an accident has been noted, but the drive is never really the same, even if the repairs were done to high standards. On a slight sidenote, I'm glad to see that the value of the older Fs hasn't dipped much. The car is getting older (hell, mine will be 10 years old next year...WTF?!) But members were right in thinking that the value would not depreciate as much as say an M3 or C63. I'm not sure about appreciating in value, but leveling off isn't bad either. As expected and discussed on the forums from previous threads, this car is still sought after and my thinking is that once the public fully knows how to differentiate the F from the F sport, finding one in good to decent condition, even an 08, will be much tougher than it is currently- and even more so for the later IS F offerings.

Keep looking out. If there are certain items you must have on the car, and it seems like the TORSEN LSD is certainly one of them, don't settle for less.
Old 05-18-17, 12:20 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

The price is surprising a lot of you guys, but that's what it is in CA. ISFs are listed above KBB here, especially compared to an 08 M3 market that I generally keep tabs on.

To OP, that's the price you'll probably have to pay for that mileage but I personally wouldn't touch it since it had an accident (regardless of how severe). Moving on was a good choice. I suggest spending a few grand more for a 2011+, which is what I wished I did.
Old 05-18-17, 12:29 PM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

I guess I will keep searching. Another question is do none of the F's have cooled seats? I use cooled seats more than heated seats in my is250

led headlights are a must for me and seems like the lsd is a must have as well. I don't really like the look of the newer cluster though.
Old 05-18-17, 12:38 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by aznKewlguy
I guess I will keep searching. Another question is do none of the F's have cooled seats? I use cooled seats more than heated seats in my is250

led headlights are a must for me and seems like the lsd is a must have as well. I don't really like the look of the newer cluster though.
I dont think any ISFs came with cooled seats, your best bet is to get 2011+ which came with alcantara
Old 05-18-17, 01:33 PM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

no cooled seats, I just came from a 350 with them and will miss it, but we aren't buying these cars for cooled seats.

and for the record I found mine online across the country, I bought it 4 hours after it was posted so act fast when you find it
Old 05-18-17, 07:08 PM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

It's just very hard for me to make a purchase without seeing it in person. I am very OCD and it ddoesnt work in my favor with these type of things.

thank you all for the input I passed on the one I looked at.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 2008 ISF, what do you guys think?