IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mods worth the money

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-17, 06:03 PM
jeffery305
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mods worth the money

Trying to get some more recent experience with some of the modifications for power out there. I've searched and see many mixed reviews on the RR tune, is it worth the money over all? Are you already seeing improvements with it?
The other mod questions is about headers, has there ever been a clear consistent answer on if gutting the primaries is as equal or close enough to increasing your horsepower as headers? A difference of 5 or so horsepower doesn't mean a huge difference to me. Thanks guys
Old 05-17-17, 06:23 PM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffery305
Trying to get some more recent experience with some of the modifications for power out there. I've searched and see many mixed reviews on the RR tune, is it worth the money over all? Are you already seeing improvements with it?
The other mod questions is about headers, has there ever been a clear consistent answer on if gutting the primaries is as equal or close enough to increasing your horsepower as headers? A difference of 5 or so horsepower doesn't mean a huge difference to me. Thanks guys
This is my opinion on mods for power and feel.

1. RR Racing USRS or Figs equivalent
2. PPE Headers, best mod for power and pairs excellent with the tune. Gutting primary imo is not equal to headers. Buying headers removes a lot of restriction from the stock design.
3. RR Racing Tune. I definitely see improvement from the lower band to middle band.
Old 05-17-17, 06:40 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

^^^^^^Agreed with the headers vs gutted primaries argument. I am FBO and dcguy (local F owner here) has every mod tuned intake/RR tune/Joe Z exhaust and gutted primaries and when we do pulls I put about 1 1/2 car lengths on him by about 100+.......only difference is I have headers and he has gutted primaries. Take that for what it's worth but I'm noticeably quicker than him........
Old 05-17-17, 07:00 PM
jeffery305
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome, thank you guys for the quick reply and obviously the real world results of racing someone with the same mods but one having headers and one gutted primaries is the best real world results you can obviously get.
Old 05-17-17, 08:10 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Exhaust is one of the best and first mods I did..

Contact us for pricing on any parts!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
The following users liked this post:
JPxMODz (05-18-17)
Old 05-17-17, 09:05 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

RR Tuned intake was AWESOME!! Definitely gave it more torque down low. Of course to get the most out of the RR Tuned intake you need headers, exhaust, and tune.
Old 05-17-17, 10:21 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I am one of a few members who has the rr-racing tune with a custom exhaust and gutted primary headers. I can tell for a fact that gutted primary do make power with the tune. It all depends on which route you want to take. Headers will cost you a pretty penny if you don't know how to install it but at the same time, it will give you better results along with a better tuned intake from rr-racing.
Old 05-18-17, 12:14 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

There will be no greater mod than investing in yourself as a driver and attending a track or autocross event. Even if you never choose to go again, at least you'll gain so much more knowledge of the car as well as your ability to drive it properly. Things such as seating and hand placement, apex and acceleration/deceleration, and trail braking are some of the many things we might think we know as street drivers, but can be helpful and implemented more thoroughly both on the track and as part of a commute. I'm certainly not saying to go ham on every red light and think that's what makes any given driver a great driver, but these are high performing vehicles. I think it's a shame that more don't partake in a track event at least once in their own cars.

If tracking isn't for the owner, some of the best mods in my honest opinion (based solely on how myself and those closest to me within the IS F community have reacted) goes as follows:

1) wider tires; even if you just stay with OEM wheels, having a bit more rubber for the road goes a very long way, especially with understeer
2) USRS for daily or FIGS Zero Deflect for track use; it increases confidence when braking and acceleration/deceleration greatly
3) headers-exhaust installed together; this may be an issue for smog procedures, but while it's not the cheapest of mods, especially with installation from a shop, the power is greatly unlocked
4) 2-piece rotors; not for everyone, but helps decrease rotational mass

Cost wise, things can add up for this car, but in comparison to similar cars from other brands, the cost isn't as extreme as some people made them out to be when the IS F first was introduced. I listed wider tires first because the car seems rather large for just 225/255 tires. And replacing them once should last quite awhile, unless one really goes hard with the burnouts, donuts, and digs. USRS/Figs Zero Deflect LCA really dialed in the car from the responses I gathered. Some, like myself, don't care about NVH as much, while others wanted a noise-free application. Headers and exhaust combos- there are plenty to choose from, but my dyno reading after installing those two items and an intake yielded 409 wheel HP. Pretty substantial given the car was at 350-360 stock whp. Gutting the primaries won't yield as much horsepower as a full set of aftermarket headers, but at the same time doing so won't cost nearly as much. And rotors are subjective to one's budget, but it's a great option for added performance.

But just getting a better feel for the car goes a long way, too. OP, you'll find a lot of great info on every product available for the IS F here. You'll know quickly which route you want to take. Best of luck on the mods!
OMGV8 (04-12-23)
Old 05-18-17, 05:49 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Wow! What a long, detailed, excellent post by bnizzle! Nothing else to be said! Thread can be closed now!! Lol!👍👍
One thing I'll add to it is a throttle controller. I really enjoy this inexpensive mod! Although it does not make the car any faster, the car feels faster and much more responsive and eager to go. Almost like the car is always in the lowest gear possible for the ultimate power delivery!
Just something to think about!

V.

V.
bnizzle87 (05-18-17)
Old 05-18-17, 07:40 AM
JPxMODz
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Was there any mention of replacing stock intake filter ? Probably one of the cheapest mods
Old 05-18-17, 12:12 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JPxMODz
Was there any mention of replacing stock intake filter ? Probably one of the cheapest mods
It's definitely one of the most budget friendly mods anyone can do. But similar to swapping intakes altogether, the results are minor in comparison to the major items others have listed. TOMs and aFe are both quality aftermarket products that I have used, but in terms of power, many have dyno'd with those filters versus the OEM, and the OEM one was shown to produce higher numbers. We're talking less than 2 hp on a dyno.