IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Stoptech brake pads may cause vibration ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-17, 01:47 AM
ISF350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Stoptech brake pads may cause vibration ?

I recently have a local auto mechanic help to install a new set of Stoptech street performance brake pads ( from tire rack) and a new set of Brembo rotors ( from Autozone). After driving for 2 weeks, the steering wheel begin to vibrate at every braking stop. The local auto mechanic said it could be a bad warped rotors which cause vibration after it heat up. I then ordered another brembo rotors set from autozone to test it out but then It vibrate again on the fronts and rear wheels after couple days. I think the Stoptech street performance pads may cause the braking vibration. Anyone has any idea for suggestion ? Should I replace the Stoptech street pads ? Should I take the car to dealer to redo the installation of the pads and the rotors per Lexus's specs ?
Old 05-16-17, 02:46 AM
skidmark10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF350
I recently have a local auto mechanic help to install a new set of Stoptech street performance brake pads ( from tire rack) and a new set of Brembo rotors ( from Autozone). After driving for 2 weeks, the steering wheel begin to vibrate at every braking stop. The local auto mechanic said it could be a bad warped rotors which cause vibration after it heat up. I then ordered another brembo rotors set from autozone to test it out but then It vibrate again on the fronts and rear wheels after couple days. I think the Stoptech street performance pads may cause the braking vibration. Anyone has any idea for suggestion ? Should I replace the Stoptech street pads ? Should I take the car to dealer to redo the installation of the pads and the rotors per Lexus's specs ?
Hi, I had Stoptech discs & pads and found them bad, same as you. Swapped to Mtec drilled discs (UK) and Brembo pads and they're a vast improvement. Look OK too (IMO)...
Attached Thumbnails Stoptech brake pads may cause vibration ?-img_20170504_163828.jpg   Stoptech brake pads may cause vibration ?-img_20170505_124624.jpg   Stoptech brake pads may cause vibration ?-img_20170505_171809.jpg  
Old 05-16-17, 05:53 AM
ZDCATC
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

My steering wheel always vibrates during braking for a week after I wash my car because the rotors get surface rust on them. Could that be the cause? I have Brembo discs and stoptech street pads.
Old 05-16-17, 07:27 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Could be the pad material still on the rotors. Did you bed them in properly?
Old 05-16-17, 10:21 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

AutoZone carries OEM Brembo rotors for ISF? I find that hard to believe.
Old 05-16-17, 10:54 AM
USB_F
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker4096
This is my question too as I installed the same setup about a year and half ago.

After bedding in the pads, no issues or vibration.
Old 05-16-17, 11:01 AM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDCATC
My steering wheel always vibrates during braking for a week after I wash my car because the rotors get surface rust on them. Could that be the cause? I have Brembo discs and stoptech street pads.
it's either what's posted above or below.

Originally Posted by Joker4096
Old 05-16-17, 11:23 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
AutoZone carries OEM Brembo rotors for ISF? I find that hard to believe.
I was just thinking the same thing
Old 05-16-17, 12:12 PM
ISF350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
I was just thinking the same thing
Yes, they are. It's the same brembo rotor model.
Old 05-16-17, 12:30 PM
ISF350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by USB_F
This is my question too as I installed the same setup about a year and half ago.

After bedding in the pads, no issues or vibration.
I will try to do the bedding procedure per Stoptech website. Damn, it's a series of stop and go from 60mph to 10mph non-stop ! Will see how it goes.
Old 05-16-17, 12:41 PM
ISF350
Pole Position

Procedure from stoptech website:
--------------------------------------
STOPTECH SPORT BRAKE PAD PERFORMANCE IS ENHANCED BY CARRYING OUT A PAD/ROTOR BREAK-IN.

by Steve Ruiz of StopTech

STOPTECH RECOMMENDS THE FOLLOWING BREAK-IN PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATIONS SUCH AS HEAVY ROAD OR TRACK USE:

STOPTECH DOES NOT ENDORSE SPEEDING ON PUBLIC ROADS

1. Read through the procedure and find a suitable, safe and legal area to perform the necessary stops.

2. BEFORE starting the break-in procedure, drive with gentle braking. Do not use brakes aggressively until completing the break-in procedure.

3. Make a series of 15 stops from 50 to 5-10 MPH. At the end of each stop, immediately accelerate to 50 again for the next stop. Run all stops continuously in one cycle. (For Track use you can replace the recommended stops with 10 stops from 60 to 5-10).

4. During the 50 (60) to 5-10 MPH series of stops, the exact speed is not critical. Accelerate to approximately 50 (60) and begin the braking cycle. KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD AND APPROXIMATE YOUR SPEED AT THE END OF EACH CYCLE.

5. A moderate braking effort is needed to properly bed-in the rotors and pads. A stopping force of approximately 0.8G’s, or just short of ABS intervention is the level of pedal effort you are trying to attain.

NOTE: BEFORE COMPLETING THE BREAK-IN, DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP WHILE THE PADS AND ROTORS ARE VERY HOT! THIS WILL TRANSFFER PAD MATERIAL NON-UNIFORMLY ONTO THE ROTOR, CAUSING A VIBRATION DURING FUTURE USE.

If the break-in cannot be done or is deemed hazardous under the circumstances, then taking the opportunity to brake hard but not to the point of high temperatures being realized prior to break-in being completed, can eventually yield the same result. Estimated miles to accomplish this will vary with actual use but can be as much as or more than 600 miles.
Old 05-16-17, 01:52 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Yep, after a wash, if you don't dry the pads and rotors well the Stoptechs will leave a layer of crud on your rotors and it will feel like you have rocks between your pads and rotors when you slow!!!

People, please stop buying Stoptech pads--they are super dusty, super noisy and leave material on the rotor after washing if you don't dry well.
Old 05-16-17, 03:56 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

i've been running centric rotors (aka stoptech) and stoptech pads for over a year w/ zero issues. they do squeak when coming to a stop, however. not as bad as the OEM set up but a lot less dust.
Old 05-16-17, 05:23 PM
v8sedan
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I do jave stoptech on my car for the last 20000km . On oem disk. Never had any problem no squeak no vibration . Except that they dust very bad but they brake very well so its not an issue for me. Vibration to me have nothing to do with pads its 99%rotor problems.
Old 05-17-17, 07:57 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

99.9% of brake vibration problems are function of uneven pad layer transfer. As we have discussed many times on this forum, rotors DO NOT warp. If you want the smoothest braking experience possible bedding in pads to rotors properly is the only way. Rotor brand and Pad selection will not solve the problem and you will just end up spending money. I have stoptech pads on OEM rotors with no problems. I have also run winmax pads on aftermarket rotors with no problems. I have run OEM on OEM. All have exhibited the same level of smoothness (regarding vibration). This is not a stoptech issue. The only thing to consider is that maybe some pads bed in easier than others. Good luck with the bed in procedure, hope it works out. Keep in mind, old rotors are harder to bed in versus newer ones.
The following users liked this post:
ISF350 (05-17-17)

Quick Reply: Stoptech brake pads may cause vibration ?