IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Reliable lightweight battery options

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-17, 08:04 AM
davecape2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reliable lightweight battery options

I have been reading up on some of the older threads here. Seems like there are a few options that are popular here. The AGM platinum series bosch which looks to be reliable and have a weight of 41 lbs. Then the Odyssey PC680 which is sitting at 15.4 lbs. And then the RR racing lithium ion battery which is sitting at 4.9 lbs and maybe a bit more with holder. I'm in the market now to get a battery and would love to save as much weight as possible but not sure how many are out there right now running the RR racing battery and also where to get specific brackets for the Odyssey PC680 to fit in the car as well. Seems like the Odyssey is pretty light weight and the price isn't bad as well. Anyways wondering what you all think. I think the RR racing battery would def be more towards the high end of what I would be willing to spend as well. And it seems it hasn't been out very long to see how reliable these will be as of yet either.
Old 05-11-17, 09:24 AM
minator
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Low capacity agm batteries like the pc680 will work fine for about a year, and then the starting capacity will begin decreasing. Longer and weaker cranks until it won't start anymore... but usually not a catastrophic fall off in performance so you can change it before it dies. I haven't noticed any degradation in starting capacity over the last year on my lifepo4 battery, which has a lower capacity than the rr racing lifepo4 battery (bought it before there was the rr battery). Lithium batteries are more sensitive to heat, though I haven't noticed any drop in performance.
Old 05-11-17, 11:08 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Saving weight is a great on any car, but the problem will remain that this car is so front heavy, it will take more than just a battery to adjust weight ratio front to rear. I've noticed a few members, and some who even track their vehicles, relocate the battery to the rear.

The RR Racing one has been researched heavily by the guys there, so I'm sure it can handle any track day situation where it would call for more battery exertion. One that has been reviewed heavily and even owned by a few members here is the Braille AGM battery- lightweight, not entirely costly, and has been proven in various race applications. The Odyssey PC680 has that two year guaranteed warranty without pro-rate, so that definitely helps in case anything happens in that time frame.

Best of luck!
Old 05-11-17, 12:28 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

This is on my IS350 - so not an ISF, but rather than go with the PC680 I decided to step up to the PC925. Its been starting the 3.5l V6 year round in temperatures ranging from ~15* to 100* in my car for 3 years this month. Its showing no signs of slowing down yet, we'll see how long it lasts. I've used the PC680 in 4 cylinder cars in the past, but decided not to try that little thing in the Lexus.

Mounting the PC925 is an issue, you can read my ongoing obsessive compulsive adventures here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-part-1-a.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-part-2-a.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...rt-2-25-a.html
The following users liked this post:
redspencer (02-07-20)
Old 11-24-19, 06:24 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

I want to bump this up. Any options besides the RR offering, which is not available? I need something that can offer extreme weather changes and colds, but it will also be on a trickle during the deep winter months. Any downsides?

I figured I bought carbon seats, silly not to go light on battery now that mine is dying.
Old 11-24-19, 07:56 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

^^Try looking into Antigravity RS30. I have been using one since the beginning of this year and have absolutely no issues so far. I even have it connected with a base 300 watt subwoofer (as my ML subwoofer blew twice!). I do have it on very low settings though. It weights in close to 12lbs and it has a safety feature to always provide a start in case battery drains out. I never had to do this and knowing about this feature, I couldn't be even more happier. Attach is a pic of the battery on my car. Sorry for dusty pic, been busy and haven't had time to clean my engine bay yet.

More info here
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...BoCrpMQAvD_BwE

Old 11-24-19, 08:37 AM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by idoke1
^^Try looking into Antigravity RS30. I have been using one since the beginning of this year and have absolutely no issues so far. I even have it connected with a base 300 watt subwoofer (as my ML subwoofer blew twice!). I do have it on very low settings though. It weights in close to 12lbs and it has a safety feature to always provide a start in case battery drains out. I never had to do this and knowing about this feature, I couldn't be even more happier. Attach is a pic of the battery on my car. Sorry for dusty pic, been busy and haven't had time to clean my engine bay yet.

More info here
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...BoCrpMQAvD_BwE
My trickle has a lithium setting. I would have to follow up with them on that. My challenge is that it is stored during the winter, and only ran a handful of times up to temp. I’m pretty determined to make it as light as possible. Golly the price is steep.
Old 11-24-19, 12:38 PM
minator
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
My trickle has a lithium setting. I would have to follow up with them on that. My challenge is that it is stored during the winter, and only ran a handful of times up to temp. I’m pretty determined to make it as light as possible. Golly the price is steep.
make sure that the charger is for lifepo4, not lithium ion.
Old 11-24-19, 09:20 PM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts

Its been a year, dont have any issues
Old 02-05-20, 08:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Come back from the dead please...

The RS-30 is not available from Antigravity anymore. This appears to be the best replacement https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...tive/ag-24-rs/

Has anyone bought one of these? Would love to know if it works well with the OEM mounts or if I'll need to fabricate something.
Old 02-06-20, 08:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

For those who choose to ignore the resources of the Internet, LiFePo4 batteries are among the safest batteries made:

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/arti...-overview.html

LiFePO4 (also known as Lithium Iron Phosphate) batteries are a huge improvement over lead acid in weight, capacity and shelf life. The LiFePO4 batteries are the safest type of Lithium batteries as they will not overheat, and even if punctured they will not catch on fire. The cathode material in LiFePO4 batteries is not hazardous, and so poses no negative health hazards or environmental hazards. Due to the oxygen being bonded tightly to the molecule, there is no danger of the battery erupting into flames like there is with Lithium-Ion. The chemistry is so stable that LiFePO4 batteries will accept a charge from a lead-acid configured battery charger. Though less energy-dense than the Lithium-Ion and Lithium Polymer, Iron and Phosphate are abundant and cheaper to extract so costs are much more reasonable. LiFePO4 life expectancy is approximately 5-7 years.
Old 02-08-20, 06:06 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I’ve ran a 98 civic sized battery in my F for several years now, cheap lightweight and available everywhere. I have enough room for my n20 solenoids to be mounted in the corner (it’s on a quite old now thread, i think i might have had a Braille in back then)
Old 02-09-20, 05:53 AM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
For those who choose to ignore the resources of the Internet, LiFePo4 batteries are among the safest batteries made:

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/arti...-overview.html
Is the R30 a lifePO4? I wanted one but it was sold out. Ended up with a Costco battery.
Old 02-09-20, 11:49 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

What are the pro,s and con,s of the RR RACING battery,s
Old 02-09-20, 12:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Is the R30 a lifePO4? I wanted one but it was sold out. Ended up with a Costco battery.
R30 is discontinued. We need the RS Group 24. See the link a few posts up. Just trying to figure out the safest and reasonably lightest option. Toothdoc's thread on his 6 pound LiFePo4 battery piqued my curiosity, but the Antigravity is nearly twice that weight. I won't complain about dropping ~30 pounds, but I really want to be sure I'll be happy before I drop $750 on a new battery. It would really suck to get it and have it not deliver.

Quick Reply: Reliable lightweight battery options