IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

RR-Racing OBD Tune

Old 05-11-17, 07:16 AM
Minh93
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RR-Racing OBD Tune

Alright guys, maybe this is a noob question but just want to ask. So basically I bought my F that already had the RR-Racing OBD Tune on it. When I bought it I asked the owner that where's the tune (cause I know nothing about this) he said it's in the car, he said that it's a self learning tune, whenever I change something for my car (example a Header), all I need to do is unplug the battery and reconnect it. Is that true?
I have no experience about RR-Racing OBD tune, really appreciate all the help!
Old 05-11-17, 07:22 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

A search would lead you to the answer of "yes".
The following users liked this post:
Minh93 (05-11-17)
Old 05-11-17, 07:28 AM
JPxMODz
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Minh93
Alright guys, maybe this is a noob question but just want to ask. So basically I bought my F that already had the RR-Racing OBD Tune on it. When I bought it I asked the owner that where's the tune (cause I know nothing about this) he said it's in the car, he said that it's a self learning tune, whenever I change something for my car (example a Header), all I need to do is unplug the battery and reconnect it. Is that true?
My experience with tunes is a basic tune is optimised for intake and exhaust. Usually there will be Stage2 tune that has different parameters for mods like headers or running different fuels like 91 or 94Octane. I can't speak specifically for the RR-Racing tune, but I would contact them directly more specifics
Minh93 (05-11-17)
Old 05-11-17, 07:32 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Unless you change the intake to a size different than stock, the same tune applies. What you do on the exhaust side does not really matter.
Minh93 (05-11-17)
Old 05-11-17, 07:50 AM
Minh93
Driver

So I'm planning to get the Takeda intake, do I need the tune device to upgrade the system with the new intake? Because the last owner didn't give me the device.
Old 05-11-17, 07:52 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

From my experience, it really depends on what the owner use in his order. The first batch of any reflash from RR-Racing, you had to pick if you had an intake, headers, gutted cats, aftermarket exhaust, and it can have the CEL for primary o2 removed. I remember this as I was one of the very first batch of people who bought it and sent my ECU in. Afterwards came the higher rev band, obd tuner device, and the tuned intake which only made power if you have headers.

Last edited by idoke1; 05-11-17 at 07:57 AM.
Minh93 (05-11-17)
Old 05-11-17, 07:56 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

So I'm planning to get the Takeda intake, do I need the tune device to upgrade the system with the new intake? Because the last owner didn't give me the device.
If it was reflashed like stated on my previous post without the obd tuner device, installing the Takeda intake would be fine without worrying any changes to the tune. The tune will adjust to it. I would check with the previous owner on what they specifically checked on their reflash list.
Old 05-11-17, 08:13 AM
JPxMODz
Lead Lap

I would save your money on the intake unless you want the eye candy in the engine bay. Most aftermarket intakes don't do much. Upgrading the panel filter and intake elbow would be more beneficial. If you want more performance from an intake, you might want to look at RR-Racing model that has been optimized for their tune
Minh93 (05-11-17)
Old 05-11-17, 08:42 AM
Minh93
Driver

I thought the device have to go with the tune (the car) because since it's already married with the car.
Old 05-11-17, 09:02 AM
JPxMODz
Lead Lap

I thought the device have to go with the tune (the car) because since it's already married with the car.
No your good to go! You don`t the OBD tuner, although it would be nice to have it if you ever wish to flash back to stock. Just install all your mods and enjoy!
Minh93 (05-11-17)
Old 05-12-17, 10:27 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

save money and stay away from the takeda intake
Minh93 (05-13-17)
Old 05-13-17, 02:56 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Hi...

We spent a lot of time optimizing the tune for various levels of mods. We started with a stock car and gradually added bolt ons and optimized the tune for each stage of upgrade. While working up did require changing the tune, we found that we were able to tune the car in order to optimize it for all the basic bolt ons in one tune. The only enhanced tune we offer is for those who have headers and get our "tuned intake" where we were able to squeeze extra power out of it.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

JPxMODz (05-13-17)
Old 05-13-17, 03:09 PM
Minh93
Driver

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Hi...

We spent a lot of time optimizing the tune for various levels of mods. We started with a stock car and gradually added bolt ons and optimized the tune for each stage of upgrade. While working up did require changing the tune, we found that we were able to tune the car in order to optimize it for all the basic bolt ons in one tune. The only enhanced tune we offer is for those who have headers and get our "tuned intake" where we were able to squeeze extra power out of it.

Rafi
So basically I can add any mods (header, intake, etc..) in the future without needing the tuner, right?? After installing just unplug and reconnect the battery so the tune will learn by itself??