IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Front Suspension Noise - Brake area

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-17, 07:14 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

My car does the same. Makes clicking (and sometimes clunking) on initial braking or going over bumps at low speed. This is with the cheapo Bosch ceramic brake pads I installed for daily driving. The OEM pads did not do this. Decided to save the OEM pads for track time.
Old 09-06-17, 08:00 AM
drifto
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jz39 : This clicking/clunking is driving me crazy. I cant have this issue for the entire duration of the brakes (50kms). What can we do about it?

Newgsmans: I was going to buy those Bosch brake pads as well but decided to get the Project Mu cuz everyone praised them on this website.

I have a appointment with the local indy shop that installed my rotors and brakes today but now I dont think they can do anything about it. Will let you guys know how it goes later.
Old 09-06-17, 10:59 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by drifto
Ever since I got my brakes changed (OEM rotors and Project Mu Ns400s), my brakes click. It clicks the first time I press on the brakes after reversing, sometimes it would click when driving over bumps. Is this normal?
Originally Posted by Jz39
^^^You have the same issues I have. I call it clunking. I've tried everything, including replacing the clips etc with new oem ones which was nothing but a waste of time and money. I posted some videos previously of what seems to be going on if you search the threads.

I think there is something going on with the NS400 pads, or at least some batches. How do do I say this as a good politician without indicting any sources, "I've heard a rumor that some changes are coming to the NS400s". Can't say if this is related to these types of issues or not, but it is coincidental...
Clicking the first time you touch the brakes after reversing then going forward (and vice versa) is completely normal with these types of calipers- there has to be some room for thermal expansion or the pads will bind in the calipers when they get really hot. However, clunking as described by Jz39 is not normal.

We had originally planned to exchange Jz39's pads and send his existing NS400s back to Japan to be analyzed for potential manufacturing variances and then Project Mu dropped a bit of a bomb on us. I still have yet to make a formal announcement since I am still waiting for the full response from PMU but the NS400 have been discontinued and there is no obvious reason and no new replacement/updated compound from them either. We were able to sneak in one more batch of the Type NS which is on order and scheduled for delivery by the end of October. We have been told from day one that Type NS is the exact same compound but manufactured entirely in Japan (whereas the NS400 has the compound made in Japan then shipped to their other facility in Thailand where the backing plates are cut and then the compound moulded to the Thai backplates). Regarding the couple issues with the NS400 we have been reassured that the quality control is just as good at the facility in Japan and I have never really questioned it too much- we've sold literally hundreds of set of NS400 in the IS-F pad shapes over the years and I believe we've only had 4-5 complaints with noise as far as I can recall. That's not to say we couldn't have received a few bad sets in a batch here and there, which is why we have no problem trying to work with those customers who have an abnormal issue with them. But so far it seems to be a very small percentage that are having any issues. In any case we will have our batch of Type NS here soon enough and fully expect to have zero issues with any of those.

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 09-06-17 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-06-17, 01:07 PM
drifto
Rookie

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
Clicking the first time you touch the brakes after reversing then going forward (and vice versa) is completely normal with these types of calipers- there has to be some room for thermal expansion or the pads will bind in the calipers when they get really hot. However, clunking as described by Jz39 is not normal.

We had originally planned to exchange Jz39's pads and send his existing NS400s back to Japan to be analyzed for potential manufacturing variances and then Project Mu dropped a bit of a bomb on us. I still have yet to make a formal announcement since I am still waiting for the full response from PMU but the NS400 have been discontinued and there is no obvious reason and no new replacement/updated compound from them either. We were able to sneak in one more batch of the Type NS which is on order and scheduled for delivery by the end of October. We have been told from day one that Type NS is the exact same compound but manufactured entirely in Japan (whereas the NS400 has the compound made in Japan then shipped to their other facility in Thailand where the backing plates are cut and then the compound moulded to the Thai backplates). Regarding the couple issues with the NS400 we have been reassured that the quality control is just as good at the facility in Japan and I have never really questioned it too much- we've sold literally hundreds of set of NS400 in the IS-F pad shapes over the years and I believe we've only had 4-5 complaints with noise as far as I can recall. That's not to say we couldn't have received a few bad sets in a batch here and there, which is why we have no problem trying to work with those customers who have an abnormal issue with them. But so far it seems to be a very small percentage that are having any issues. In any case we will have our batch of Type NS here soon enough and fully expect to have zero issues with any of those.

-Matt M.
Hey Matt, I purchased the Project Mu pads from you a few months ago. Does this mean you will send me some replacements once you get the new shipment of Project Mu NS400s? This clicking noise is killing me :S

Last edited by drifto; 09-06-17 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-07-17, 11:10 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Hey Matt, I purchased the Project Mu pads from you a few months ago. Does this mean you will send me some replacements once you get the new shipment of Project Mu NS400s? This clicking noise is killing me :S
We will have replacement pads available for anyone who wants them at the standard club lexus discount but free or partially subsidized exchanges will be done on a case by case basis. If your pads are still fairly new and we are able to clearly see that there is a problem with the pads themselves then we are happy to work with you and make it right. However project Mu is unwilling/unable to help since the less expensive version of the pads has been discontinued altogether and every exchange will come out of our pocket. We are trying to do the right thing but it's a slippery slope and I'm sure you understand we simply cannot open the floodgates by blindly offering a several hundred dollar set of pads for free to anyone who wants them- we'll have guys coming out of the woodwork left and right sending back their two or three year old 80% worn pads for new ones, I'm sure

-Matt M.
Old 09-07-17, 12:08 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Matt--I will send you my NS400s for evaluation once I install the new set. You've got multiple levels of documented data regarding my pads including Lexus and Nissan technicians, independent 3rd party videos as well as my own, and documented use of new oem shims with the pads and replacement of the oem pins/clips. Hopefully you will get them and match them up with the TypeNS pads and find out what the issue is. Thanks for all the help along the way.
Old 09-07-17, 12:37 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jz39
Matt--I will send you my NS400s for evaluation once I install the new set. You've got multiple levels of documented data regarding my pads including Lexus and Nissan technicians, independent 3rd party videos as well as my own, and documented use of new oem shims with the pads and replacement of the oem pins/clips. Hopefully you will get them and match them up with the TypeNS pads and find out what the issue is. Thanks for all the help along the way.
I'm hopeful that the new set of Type NS will alleviate the issue you've been having. You have provided a good bit of info and even gone so far as to replace some parts to reduce the variables and that has made it easy to work an exchange, so thank you for that

-Matt M.
Old 09-07-17, 12:50 PM
LOLjasonW
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

my ***** pads do the same thing, when i first got the car the rears were warped and the fronts had 3/4 life. it seemed as if previous owner replaced the front end with garbage *** pads. i replaced the rear pads and rotors and fixed half the issue. now its the damn clicking/clunking noise. has not affected brake performance but its annoying to hear at real low speeds and when you hit the occasional bump, im saving up for OEM front end brakes now to get rid of that damn noise
Old 09-07-17, 12:51 PM
drifto
Rookie

We will have replacement pads available for anyone who wants them at the standard club lexus discount but free or partially subsidized exchanges will be done on a case by case basis. If your pads are still fairly new and we are able to clearly see that there is a problem with the pads themselves then we are happy to work with you and make it right. However project Mu is unwilling/unable to help since the less expensive version of the pads has been discontinued altogether and every exchange will come out of our pocket. We are trying to do the right thing but it's a slippery slope and I'm sure you understand we simply cannot open the floodgates by blindly offering a several hundred dollar set of pads for free to anyone who wants them- we'll have guys coming out of the woodwork left and right sending back their two or three year old 80% worn pads for new ones, I'm sure

-Matt M.
My pads have appox. 3000kms on them since a local indy shop installed them. I have an appointment to get them to take a look at the clicking noise next week. Would you like me to get some type of documentation from them on their findings? Would I be eligible to receive a replacement ?

If the new pads fix the issue on Jz39's car I would love a replacement. If it doesn't, it would be pointless for me to pay again for the pads to get installed.
Old 09-07-17, 02:57 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LOLjasonW
my ***** pads do the same thing, when i first got the car the rears were warped and the fronts had 3/4 life. it seemed as if previous owner replaced the front end with garbage *** pads. i replaced the rear pads and rotors and fixed half the issue. now its the damn clicking/clunking noise. has not affected brake performance but its annoying to hear at real low speeds and when you hit the occasional bump, im saving up for OEM front end brakes now to get rid of that damn noise
Do you know what pads are in the car now?

My pads have appox. 3000kms on them since a local indy shop installed them. I have an appointment to get them to take a look at the clicking noise next week. Would you like me to get some type of documentation from them on their findings? Would I be eligible to receive a replacement ?

If the new pads fix the issue on Jz39's car I would love a replacement. If it doesn't, it would be pointless for me to pay again for the pads to get installed.
Yes, please do see if you or they can document their findings as well and we can discuss your options from there.

-Matt M.
Old 10-05-17, 11:07 AM
drifto
Rookie

Do you know what pads are in the car now?

Yes, please do see if you or they can document their findings as well and we can discuss your options from there.

-Matt M.
Hey Matt,

So I brought my car back to the indy shop that installed them and they say the issue seems to be a defect in the brake pads. Do you want me to PM you privately about this situation?

Thanks,

Jay