IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2008-2010 BlueTooth Retrofit How-to

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 09:05 PM
SRTISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2008-2010 BlueTooth Retrofit How-to

After looking up Bluetooth solutions on my last post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...bluetooth.html
I decided to make a little tutorial on how to since there is some grey area for those who aren't that mechanically inclined.

Thanks to Cha7Li3, we have discovered the amazing "USA SPEC BT45-TOY". It is very close to an OEM solution for us with the older ISF's. Buttons on the wheel work, Auto Connect, etc.
The only thing it doesn't have is the a display that tells what media is playing. But we can live without that for the most part. Especially if you have something to mount the phone.
For $140, this is a GREAT solution. No cords, no adapters, no buzzing, no paring every time, just functionality.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0178G5RRE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note: This does not cover how to install the microphone. Since you literally just plug it in, and route it where you want it, seems pretty self explanatory to me.

How To:
1) Educate yourself on how to remove the head unit. This video is pretty good. However, the vents are MUCH harder then how it seems. Get a plastic pry tool. I used a bondo knife and a screw driver and scuffed my plastic a little bit.
If you manage to get the vents out without damaging your dash, bravo.
WATCH OUT NOT TO DROP THE BOLTS OR TOOLS IN THE DASH. I used a magnetic socket, but then the socket fell of the extension and I had to spend almost an hour looking for it. Use tape to secure the socket to the extension, save yourself the headache.

2) Remove the grommet in the glove box for the iPod connector, a small flat head will do the job.
Then fish the harness though the hole so the black end the goes into the box is inside the glove box, the white ends should be behind the head unit.

3) Unplug the wire harness show in the picture, then plug it into the BT Toy harness, then plug the Toy harness into the head unit.

4) Clean up your wires inside your glove box and enjoy. I pushed mine back though the hole since there is no reason to use them.

Enjoy!
Old 03-27-17, 08:08 AM
cha7Li3
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

haha thanks for the shout out. In terms of the media text of what song is playing, it actually does display song title text.

check out my post again
Dip selection should be as follows.
1 Down
2 Up
3 Down
3 Down
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post9797992

So you hit Disc/aux once to get into that menu, hitting it again will scroll through your CD changer/aux.

Last edited by cha7Li3; 03-27-17 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-28-17, 04:14 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't have a grommet in my glove box. What year is your car?
Old 03-28-17, 08:52 AM
DaOne54
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is awesome! thanks for sharing!
This will be my next Mod for sure!
Old 03-30-17, 06:50 PM
SRTISF
Driver

Originally Posted by Joker4096
I don't have a grommet in my glove box. What year is your car?

2008, its probably because yours wasnt optioned with the iPod connector. You can just drill a 1" hole
Old 03-31-17, 07:30 AM
cha7Li3
Driver

Originally Posted by SRTISF
2008, its probably because yours wasnt optioned with the iPod connector. You can just drill a 1" hole
Were you able to get the media text to display?
Old 04-03-17, 08:06 AM
MpKSonic
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone that has this have trouble getting it to send out a bluetooth signal?

I tried to install mine over the weekend, but was never able to get it to send out a bluetooth signal. I triple checked my connections. Tried looking for the bluetooth with several different devices. No luck. Contacted the ebay seller and asked if I could exchange the unit, but after one response, they've yet to be helpful.
Old 04-03-17, 10:22 AM
Fivepoint0
Pole Position

Try disconnecting the power to it or your battery see if it helps.
Old 04-03-17, 12:58 PM
MpKSonic
Driver

Originally Posted by Fivepoint0
Try disconnecting the power to it or your battery see if it helps.
What power to the unit?
Old 04-03-17, 01:12 PM
Fivepoint0
Pole Position

The pin connector/harness if you have it in the glove compartment , if not disconnect the battery for a few them back on.
Old 04-03-17, 03:28 PM
MpKSonic
Driver

Originally Posted by Fivepoint0
The pin connector/harness if you have it in the glove compartment , if not disconnect the battery for a few them back on.
Ahhh, ok. Yeah, I tried that. Unplugged everything and plugged it all back in to make sure the connections clicked.

The ebay seller got back to me and said he's been having QC issues with these devices of late and people have been having pairing issues. He's gonna exchange the unit for me.
Old 04-03-17, 03:44 PM
Fivepoint0
Pole Position

Glad to hear you got a reply from the seller.
Old 04-04-17, 11:51 AM
SRTISF
Driver

I would just ask for a return and get it from amazon. It's very rare to deal with bs like that from them
Old 01-05-18, 08:26 AM
MpKSonic
Driver

Bumpity bump bump.

The replacement unit powered up and connected to my phone's bluetooth instantly; however, I've never been able to make calls through the device's bluetooth. I figured I must have damaged the mic's wire when trying to run it for a clean install. Well, I FINALLY got around to grabbing another mic, plugged it straight in and tried to make a call, and no one can hear me still.

So my question: is there a special setting for using this for music streaming and making phone calls? Should I clear my phone from the F's factory head unit? Is my phone being paired to both causing the issue?

I have my DIP settings set to down, up, down, down as shown like above to receive the song info on the touch screen.
Old 01-05-18, 08:59 AM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a US Spec on my S2K and it works great. For the F, I was going to just get a bluetooth/FM transmitter and put it in the center counsel. Is there a pro to the US spec versus the bluetooth/FM transmitter idea?

On the S2k, I only have ONE cigarette lighter and I would rather have it for charging my phone. I haven't looked but on the F, do we have another USB or cigarette lighter slot?

Quick Reply: 2008-2010 BlueTooth Retrofit How-to