IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Affordable Front Brake Job

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-17, 03:57 PM
DBrian
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Affordable Front Brake Job

I know there have been countless posts on brakes, but had an interesting talk with Sewell dealer recently and thought I'd share. I know many here like the Project Mu brakes and they're no doubt a great product, but for those of us that don't track the car, my solution was a lot more affordable.
Incidentally i had taken the car in to Sewell to do the passenger airbag recall. While i was there they suggested I needed new front pads and "probably" needed new front rotors. For this they would charge me just over $1,100.00 !! Yes, as in Eleven hundred dollars! Needless to say I told them no thanks.
I've got about 40k miles of mostly city/hwy driving. there is a bit of grooving in the rotors but decent thickness and no pulsation in the braking so I elected to wait on the rotors. for pads I just went with Duralast Gold ceramic ($70.00). For brake dampening lube, i just went with a standard CRC product. A couple weeks later I can say I've got less brake dust and almost zero brake squeal

Last edited by DBrian; 03-22-17 at 03:59 PM. Reason: story clarification
The following users liked this post:
supersonic (03-22-17)
Old 03-22-17, 05:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Sounds like a perfectly viable solution if you do not plan to stop from triple digit speeds repeatedly.
Old 03-22-17, 05:55 PM
DjMarkOne
Rookie

I currently use the same brake pads (front and back) and I like them a lot. Big difference in brake dust compared to oem too! I'll eventually try something else when I have to do new rotors tho.
Old 03-22-17, 06:59 PM
EverestWC
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip. Some of the Auto Zone stuff works out.
Old 03-22-17, 07:37 PM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen a couple go this route. What is missing in this post is the loss of bite compared to OEM or Project Mu...? Care to share? Looks like a lot less dust so that's always a plus
Old 03-22-17, 08:35 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

I've used these at the track. Nothing special by any means but I'd say they are on par with the OEM pads for the price point. I like the low dusting and low noise for regular street driving.
Old 03-22-17, 09:22 PM
DBrian
Rookie

Originally Posted by ROYALISF
I've seen a couple go this route. What is missing in this post is the loss of bite compared to OEM or Project Mu...? Care to share? Looks like a lot less dust so that's always a plus
when I got them on and took my very first drive I think I noticed there was slightly less bite than OEM... But a week later I can barely remember the difference, and as others said its perfectly fine for daily driving.
"Less bite" with these Brembos still puts this in a stopping category better than most vehicles on the road.
Old 03-22-17, 10:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by DBrian
..."Less bite" with these Brembos still puts this in a stopping category better than most vehicles on the road.
Don't confuse stopping power with pad selection. Pad selection has nothing to do with stopping power, only the feel of the braking system while stopping. Stopping power is limited by tire traction, not anything in a modern braking system. You might "feel" they impact stopping distance, but they really only impact pedal effort for the same stopping power.
Old 03-22-17, 11:50 PM
Onionboyz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm rocking these front and rear right now and definitely for like 60$ or something they are just as efficient on the street without breaking the bank. Low dust, no noise as far as i can tell, and still much life left after 15k miles. Don't let the branding scare you away.
Old 03-23-17, 06:26 AM
DBrian
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Don't confuse stopping power with pad selection. Pad selection has nothing to do with stopping power, only the feel of the braking system while stopping. Stopping power is limited by tire traction, not anything in a modern braking system. You might "feel" they impact stopping distance, but they really only impact pedal effort for the same stopping power.
There's always one of these guys on a forum isn't there?
Old 03-23-17, 07:11 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

uh oh, fighting words.
Old 03-23-17, 08:21 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Joker4096
uh oh, fighting words.
Fighting words? Physics. Plain and simple.
Joker4096 (03-23-17)
Old 03-23-17, 10:58 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Get a hold of dBa (Disk Brakes Australia) I had very good experience with their rotors on my old Honda together with Hawk HPS pads. (Non Ceramic)

They do make these for the ISF, may have to special order.
Old 03-23-17, 11:11 AM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

normally I would agree with you. However, if you have been on this forum for any real amount of time, you will know that Lobuxracer can back up his talk with real experience.
Joker4096 (03-23-17)
Old 03-23-17, 08:37 PM
DBrian
Rookie

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
normally I would agree with you. However, if you have been on this forum for any real amount of time, you will know that Lobuxracer can back up his talk with real experience.
copy that and honestly I don't want a beef with anyone on this forum. I just have a general comment that we really don't know much about a lot of the people on these forums. For example I'm probably older than a lot of guys on here, I've got an engineering degree and before that i spent a couple years as an auto mechanic at a Honda dealership so I actually know more than most about "stopping power" and other technical brake issues... But obviously there no way Lobuxracer or anyone else here could know this about me... Hey it's partly my own fault; as an "old guy", I still don't really trust social media so I don't publish a lot of personal data 😉
Again, no beef and I do appreciate a lot of the info we all exchange on this forum!

Quick Reply: Affordable Front Brake Job