IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

SmartTap Relay Installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-17, 10:40 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMorgan
Didn't realize this thread existed but I just installed some LED bulbs and the SmartTap this evening
Nice video, how did you change your front turn signals? did you do it with the bumper off? because I couldn't squeeze my hands to change mine with the bumper on and I have small hands.
Old 04-24-17, 10:56 AM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks Josh!

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Nice video!

-Josh
I must have smaller hands and a small forearm then haha. I pretty much made my hand as long and as skinny as possible, got up under the headlight and felt the tab, twisted and pulled the bulb out - all with one hand. Then had to take time and put the bulb on the socket by means of opposing pressure (finding something to push the socket against) and clicking the bulb in, then putting the socket back in the headlight. It requires some patience and is by no means easy, but is doable. The driver side I had to unbolt the washer fluid neck to get easier access.

Originally Posted by Defratos
Nice video, how did you change your front turn signals? did you do it with the bumper off? because I couldn't squeeze my hands to change mine with the bumper on and I have small hands.
Old 04-27-17, 07:17 AM
JPxMODz
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

For anyone annoyed by the lack of the arrival feature working on the CF18. Diode Dynamics has created a list and is working on resolving the issue. Contact their support team and they will add you to the list. Once they identify the issue, replacement units will be sent out
Old 04-28-17, 01:29 AM
Defratos
Racer

^ I have received mine but haven't had time to do the install.

What exactly does the arrival feature do if you don't mind me asking?
Old 04-28-17, 06:42 AM
s4chico
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Defratos
^ I have received mine but haven't had time to do the install.

What exactly does the arrival feature do if you don't mind me asking?
Watch the 2nd video on the first page of this thread with the Subaru. It demos the arrival function at about the 2:15 mark of the video. It keeps the parking lights on for a specified time (I think it was 20 seconds?) after unlocking the doors with the remote.
Old 04-28-17, 08:55 AM
Defratos
Racer

^ Thanks buddy, makes sense now.
Old 04-28-17, 11:42 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm going to try to install this soon to see if I get the same issue with arrival. Spoke with Diode Dynamics tech support, and they mentioned to me it's only happening to a small variety of users.
Old 04-28-17, 07:31 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i just placed an order...will be arriving tomorrow
Old 04-29-17, 06:03 PM
kirk200
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3nergiz3d
I'm going to try to install this soon to see if I get the same issue with arrival. Spoke with Diode Dynamics tech support, and they mentioned to me it's only happening to a small variety of users.
My arrival feature still doesn't work - tried the key fobs and the door itself. I also have an F keycard as well (no buttons).
Everything else works as advertised including the departure feature. I still love my Smart Tap... perhaps it's because I have a 2014 IS F?
- Kirk200
Old 04-29-17, 09:57 PM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kirk200
My arrival feature still doesn't work - tried the key fobs and the door itself. I also have an F keycard as well (no buttons).
Everything else works as advertised including the departure feature. I still love my Smart Tap... perhaps it's because I have a 2014 IS F?
- Kirk200
no i spoke to them also and they said it's a known issue with our car and they are working on it. i have a 2012. same thing
Old 05-02-17, 08:46 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

For who have installed this... Was your relay green and located pretty much in the centre? Any tips on removing the stock relay completely out of it's bracket? Yes, I could just remove the stock harness, and plug in the SmartTap, but I want to do it right.
Old 05-02-17, 03:35 PM
JPxMODz
Lead Lap

For who have installed this... Was your relay green and located pretty much in the centre? Any tips on removing the stock relay completely out of it's bracket? Yes, I could just remove the stock harness, and plug in the SmartTap, but I want to do it right.
Removing stock relays are a pain and pointless in my opinion. Why does the stock relay need to come out? I've always disconnected stock harness and plugged new relay in. Just use a wire tie to secure the new relay. No ones ever going see it and it doesn't hurt to leave the stock relay in place. I don't know, it just seems like unnecessary work to me
Can't remember, but I think your correct on the relay being green and in the center. I didn't pay to much attention as all I wanted was the harness

Last edited by JPxMODz; 05-02-17 at 03:48 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 05-02-17, 07:55 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^Again from an earlier post:

Originally Posted by flowrider
Yep, I too thought about using a Tie Wrap. Even tried it, but couldn't get it done with only ONE hand.
Lou
Old 05-22-17, 06:07 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

No. I just installed it this weekend. The relay is directly above the gas pedal in my 2012 250C. It is in an incredibly hard to reach location. There is a relay below it that you can slide off the metal frame to allow you to lay eyes on the flasher relay. I could not remove the flasher relay, I'm not sure how it's fastened, but getting the harness unplugged was extremely difficult. I finally figured out that there is a tab on the long side of the harness plug slightly off center of the plug that you must press in very far and the plug will come out. It took be 15 minutes and a loud ARGH!!! to depress it enough, but it came out. I just then did what they say, plug up the smart tap and tie wrap it. DONE!

Now, I also do not have correct operation of the arrival light using either the fob or the door handle to unlock. I suspect it has something to do with the double-blink of the signal lights interfering with the hold-time, but I didn't design the thing. Everything else works perfectly. I finally have the tap to lane-change feature of my wife's RX. Love this car.
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (05-22-17)
Old 05-23-17, 08:59 PM
JPxMODz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jr4div2
I just then did what they say, plug up the smart tap and tie wrap it. DONE!
Thanks for this 😉

Quick Reply: SmartTap Relay Installed