IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

NOVEL 2UR-GSE 530HP with 8500 rpm redline !

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-17, 07:24 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

I doubt it's 530 to the wheels but you never know. I'm sure extremely high compression pistons, upgraded stroke, race fuel, custom cams are being used.
Old 03-06-17, 07:31 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Basically the same output as Fords Voodoo 5.2 L in the GT350........
Old 03-06-17, 08:00 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

530hp at the crank
its very similar to the RCF 2UR with revised bits and pieces
Old 03-06-17, 08:03 PM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Woow 8500rpm wonder if it's got a custom made flat plane crank? Or they did hell of a job balancing the stock one
Old 03-07-17, 12:11 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Sub'd for updates
Old 03-07-17, 08:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,079 Likes on 2,472 Posts

8500 rpm is going to mean a short service life. Mean piston speed is over 25 m/sec at that rpm. That's beyond ITR territory. To make this actually work means cams, revised VVTi parameters, port/valve work, piston lightening, stronger rods (would be nice to make them longer, but that's impossible), and rebuilds at about 50k miles or less depending on how much time is spent near red line.

The factory heads don't support breathing at higher rpm and it is obvious from the stock dyno chart the engine can't breathe at the factory redline. The bottleneck is the cams and ports. Fixing the cam timing helps, but I'd also bet they put in bigger diameter valves, and likely titanium on both intake and exhaust to preclude valve float at 8500 rpm. They also used stiffer valve springs (read shorter service life) and may have done something exotic with the valve lash caps to prevent them from becoming tiddly winks at high rpm.

This is just of the top of my head. Might be a whole lot more...
Old 03-08-17, 02:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

It's a race car so rebuilds are not unexpected . Super excited to watch the VLN races this season and to post about it on my Facebook page. (Almost 10,000 F fans from all over the world )
Old 03-09-17, 06:50 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm not too familiar with the IS-F's engine, but is the stock oil pump good for another 25% increase in RPM?
Old 03-09-17, 08:43 AM
FilwithanF
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Rohi123
I say it's going to cost round $23k
I agree. It's basically similar to the Dinan S3R E9x M3 stroker kit, which costs similar money. In Dinan's case, the 530hp was at the crank and in typical Japanese fashion, I believe this ISF's 530hp is also measured at the crank (Spoon, Jun, Seeker, and other tuners always seem to market crank numbers). Regardless of price though, I'm sure the engineering is spot on and this is going to be one sweet package most of us can lust after lol.
Old 03-09-17, 09:02 PM
willstroo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember i watched this documentary on YouTube where "Mines" built a Nissan R 33/34 GTR engine, with seemingly underwhelming numbers of torque and HP compared to what some cars were making even on the street.. And it was expensive! Then they raced it around the track, with a non-biased couple of race drivers, and they both could not believe how fast the car was! The engine was just spot on, revved harder and faster than many other big HP builds.

They didnt go for number bragging rights, they went for a car that actually performed in all conditions, with engine parts that all harmonised and resulted in crazy ACTUAL usable power that resulted in a much faster car . Will trawl the tube and see if i find the link.

What im eluding to, is that i bet this car whilst not having jaw dropping numbers would be scary fast, brutally responsive, and faster than any of us have experienced with our FBO ISF's.
Old 03-09-17, 10:10 PM
empathy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
8500 rpm is going to mean a short service life. Mean piston speed is over 25 m/sec at that rpm. That's beyond ITR territory. To make this actually work means cams, revised VVTi parameters, port/valve work, piston lightening, stronger rods (would be nice to make them longer, but that's impossible), and rebuilds at about 50k miles or less depending on how much time is spent near red line.

The factory heads don't support breathing at higher rpm and it is obvious from the stock dyno chart the engine can't breathe at the factory redline. The bottleneck is the cams and ports. Fixing the cam timing helps, but I'd also bet they put in bigger diameter valves, and likely titanium on both intake and exhaust to preclude valve float at 8500 rpm. They also used stiffer valve springs (read shorter service life) and may have done something exotic with the valve lash caps to prevent them from becoming tiddly winks at high rpm.

This is just of the top of my head. Might be a whole lot more...
which makes it crazy to think that porsche is pushing near 500 hp from their 4 liter engine in the new gt3.
Old 03-10-17, 01:50 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

The flat plane Mustang will be in the same boat as reliability goes, they have done extensive testing so I see no problem yet, but the Stang sounds, O SO MENTAL, I could almost be persuaded to buy one
Old 03-10-17, 07:10 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,079 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by willstroo
I remember i watched this documentary on YouTube where "Mines" built a Nissan R 33/34 GTR engine, with seemingly underwhelming numbers of torque and HP compared to what some cars were making even on the street.. And it was expensive! Then they raced it around the track, with a non-biased couple of race drivers, and they both could not believe how fast the car was! The engine was just spot on, revved harder and faster than many other big HP builds.

They didnt go for number bragging rights, they went for a car that actually performed in all conditions, with engine parts that all harmonised and resulted in crazy ACTUAL usable power that resulted in a much faster car . Will trawl the tube and see if i find the link.

What im eluding to, is that i bet this car whilst not having jaw dropping numbers would be scary fast, brutally responsive, and faster than any of us have experienced with our FBO ISF's.
There is a whole lot to say about area under the curve vs. peak numbers. Turbo cars are a lot like this - big peak numbers, but very hard to keep in the meat of the power, especially when the turbos get big and laggy. It doesn't mean it isn't fast, it's just a lot harder to make it perform.

When I port cylinder heads, I am looking for a number of things, but primarily I am looking for the ability to fill the cylinder in the middle rpm range. You can tweak your power curve with cam timing, but you can't tweak ports that are too big or too small and you can't tweak valves that aren't shaped well (like factory valves). I am always looking for useful power, fewer necessary shifts, and giving the driver a wider range of options when it comes to getting power out of the engine. I learned a lot about this first hand racing motorcycles. It's very possible to have more power than you would like for a given track, and it's very helpful to have a broad powerband to give yourself some flexibility in how you exit a turn.
Old 03-10-17, 09:15 AM
StiLLmatiK
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by willstroo

Was this the Mines time attack R34. That thing is vicious and I think was built with throttle response in mind
Old 03-10-17, 09:21 AM
Alizia
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The headers look like intestines with the bends and that fleshly looking wrap lol.

Quick Reply: NOVEL 2UR-GSE 530HP with 8500 rpm redline !