IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Borla drone eliminated in 20 minutes for 20 bucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-17, 09:05 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mahcah
I think Mike is talking about the entire assembly of the silencers.
Yep, I removed the entire assembly for the dyno comparison. Also, I've been running them without the little round end caps (same as Nick).

-Mike
Old 08-21-17, 10:04 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Ah.... ok just wanted to clarify. I've been running with the round caps in since I put them in?...... Maybe I should take them out for a little bit more flow since that blocks air coming though the silencers and forces them through the perforated holes.

I went out and took out the Allen screw and tried to pull them out with some needle nose pliers and they wouldn't budge!

I'm going to have to use longer needle nose pliers for more leverage then when I re-install them put maybe some anti-seize on them? What do you guys suggest so that they come out easier without seizing up in the outlet?
The following users liked this post:
Heyitzkhan (05-23-20)
Old 08-21-17, 10:06 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Spray some WD and twist with needle nose. After getting them out, bang them in shape to the point where it's easy install and vice versa. Worked for me.

I took out the little caps in the inside and sound was still muffled; just slightly a bit louder then having them in. But there will be better flow.
Heyitzkhan (05-23-20)
Old 08-21-17, 10:10 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Thanks! I'll try that
Old 08-21-17, 02:45 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
I had similar results over the weekend.. I did two pulls with the inserts, then two without... Second two were both ~8hp higher. I'm fine with that on the street, and it's very easy to remove them for track days...

-Mike
glad to hear it's consistent... in my case, I had the small center "dishes" out of the inserts for one run, and then took the entire insert out for the next.
Old 08-21-17, 02:49 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Yah like Mike said, tweaking the shape a little helped the fitment on mine as well. They weren't quite round before.
Old 10-18-17, 01:30 AM
Eedo123
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Few days ago I had the exhaust tip silencers installed, and so far so good. Everything that has been said about this mod has been extremely accurate;
(1) it reduces the cabin drone almost to the point that it is fully gone, especially under light throttle, you really only start to hear the drone barely only when you are giving a good amount of throttle
(2) it reduces noise on the outside, some members have done tests, but from my own ear it sounds like about 20-30% loss of volume
(3) they were supremely easy to install, and to take out will be a breeze
(4) last thing, which I think is very important to mention, was the change in the torque curve once these were put on. Right now, it feels like a turbo engine, where there is a lot of torque down low, and you reach peak torque near the end of the mid range, and the top end stays flat, no more power. These tips completely change the torque curve of the engine, and it is something that really kills the mod for me.

Overall, this mod worked exactly the way all the members have described them as, but if you really like the way the power is delivered in our cars, then these tips may not be for you. For now, I am enjoying the silence and it feels great having a car that actually feels like a normal daily driver, but I dont see these staying on for much longer.
Heyitzkhan (05-23-20)
Old 10-18-17, 08:59 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Eedo123
(4) last thing, which I think is very important to mention, was the change in the torque curve once these were put on. Right now, it feels like a turbo engine, where there is a lot of torque down low, and you reach peak torque near the end of the mid range, and the top end stays flat, no more power. These tips completely change the torque curve of the engine, and it is something that really kills the mod for me.

Overall, this mod worked exactly the way all the members have described them as, but if you really like the way the power is delivered in our cars, then these tips may not be for you. For now, I am enjoying the silence and it feels great having a car that actually feels like a normal daily driver, but I dont see these staying on for much longer.
I'm so glad you said the highlighted portion (4) above!!

I agree with that wholeheartedly and thought that I was just overthinking the silencers and what you lost power wise (seems like 8whp). But absolutely your 100% correct that the torque curve changed for me as well just as you described it. The car is extremely torquey down low but at the upper end of the rev range it falls flat and you definitely feel like your losing power up top with the silencers in! But take them out and the power delivery changes and you get the power back up top and lose that low end grunt that you have with them in for sure! Amazing that these silencers can change the entire torque delivery of the car considering how small they are!!??

But they do silence to the tune of about 90% of the drone caused without them and that's what I like, but I have been alternating back and forth with them in and out experimenting with power delivery and such. I love the silence when they're in but miss the power that's lost up top
Heyitzkhan (05-23-20)
Old 10-18-17, 12:11 PM
Eedo123
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya man! haha , there is just something about having a linear torque curve that feels really natural, having it die up top makes it feel like something is wrong with the engine. But at the same time, I really am enjoying the quietness in the cabin. It's a double-edged sword I guess, but most people seem to be ok with the change and it's still a superb mod for those who don't mind at all the change in power delivery.
Old 06-27-19, 07:07 PM
juliusdx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone tried theses silencers just muffler deletes yet?
i.e. does it remove the annoying drone at around 2k rpms? power loss at top end doesn't concern me as i don't get much chance to get it up there anyway, in fact, low end torque boost is a nice gain as i'm mostly a traffic light hero. lol
Old 06-27-19, 07:14 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Had these installed for about two years and they completely rusted and fell out on their own. They did help a tad with the drone though
Beachtyme (07-12-19)
Old 06-27-19, 09:32 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

I ran these in the stock Borla tips for about a year and a half and loved them! Then I switched to the upgraded RR Magnaflow quad tips for the Borla exhaust back section and I got some larger diameter silencers for those as well.

I can't stand the drone and these were such a cheap and easy way to eliminate the drone that it was the first thing I did when I switched to my current exhaust tips set-up

Where I live up here we don't have to worry about rust issues so mine held up just fine. Besides for the price if they start to rust out just pop them out and buy new ones.
Old 06-28-19, 06:06 AM
juliusdx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Had these installed for about two years and they completely rusted and fell out on their own. They did help a tad with the drone though
You ran it for 2 years on just muffler deletes right?
Old 06-28-19, 09:13 AM
ALexusF
Pole Position

Received 164 Likes on 82 Posts

Is the drone really that bad with the Borla? I just installed mine and its actually rather tame.

Just some background info:

I live (and work) on base where the highest speed i ever reach is 45 mph. Constant stop and go with my short commute to work (total maybe 5 miles). My previous vehicle was a 6spd 2005 Acura TL with a full catback non-resonated exhaust using dual magnaflow mufflers and the drone was never an issue to me (but then again it was manual). I've had the borla on for about 3 days now and I honestly LOVE hearing the car, although I believe its still a little too quiet. I still plan to get RR Racing Bazooka tips if I can find them for a good price.
Old 06-28-19, 05:52 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by juliusdx
You ran it for 2 years on just muffler deletes right?
No I have the JoeZ catback system. Sounds great, but drones at lower speeds.